Help booking excursions ahead, not sure what to do

Deacon23

Hello

It is our first time on a cruise (going to Alaska in July). We have booked through a Tour Operator and am in the process of booking some excursions on our own. However, we have contacted our Tour Operator about booking through NCL and they have informed me that we cannot book until nearer the time and not until we have a reference number that we cannot get as yet. We are concerned that we might not get on some of the excursions offered because we are too late.

What do you think? I am worrying unnecessarily?

I am also waiting to hear from some of the private companies who promised me that they would contact me again in Jan to confirm, should I chase them up, or is this common practice.

Sorry about all the questions. Tried to Search the Forum but could not get the exact answers required.

There are so many wonderful tour operators in Alaska who charge 1/2!!! what the ship costs. Alaska shore excursions are more $ than any I have taken domestically or abroad. Many of the cities that are typically visited by cruise ships are really wonderful without a guided tour. All the ports are geared for tourists and have many attractions/sights within walking distance or short cab ride. The best private tours are whale watching (without hundreds of other passengers screaming "whale!" and running from side to side of the boat) flightseeing over/near Mt. McKinley, Denali, and the White Horse train. Those are all very easy to arrange on your own. If you need recommendations for tour operators, just email me at barkandtwig@bellsouth.net.

So, in answer to your question, don't worry about the ship excursions. If you must take one, don't worry, if you book right away once boarding, you probably will have no problem making your reservation. Avoid the masses of cattle (imo) that pay for the overpriced ship tours, and get 6 other people from your roll call to set up independent tours/plans. The costs will surprise you (so much less!). You also see so much more, at your own pace. I would never take a ship sponsored tour unless they were the only ones offering some trip that I wanted. And...don't listen to the passengers who tell you to worry about getting back to the ship on time. The chances of this happening are SO RARE, in that these companies rely on good reputations and won't let that happen.

Enjoy one of my very favorite cruise destinations!!!

Amy

Amy

Dear Deacon 23;

I don't know if you have checked out the roll call board for your cruise yet. You can also get plenty of ideas there. On the Alaska board, read anything by Budget Queen. She is wonderful and has helped so many people. You are still early for planning for Alaska. Don't worry. You will get all the numbers that you need when final payment comes due. We did private excursions in Alaska, but NCL is good too, I'm sure. It does cost more; that is for sure. Have a wonderful trip in July. I'm ready to go back their too. Are you leaving out of Seattle? That is a city where one can spend extra time.

Nancy

Not sure what your booking agent is telling you, but you should have a "booking" number direct with NCL. With that, you can go online direct http://www.ncl.com and book your excursions. IF they aren't available, then they aren't available for anyone. Keep track of the site and book when they open up.

As for the second post, there RARELY are 50% savings on tours in Alaska, comparing indepdnent and ship booked. But you can do very well with independents, for more personal tours, longer tours. Don't expect big savings.

IF you want information on independent tours, you FIRST have to select the tour, read through a shore excursion list and narrow down your interests. THEN find the independent options.

Head to the Alaska board, plenty of first hand information there that will offer you all the information you need for a choice in bookings.

If I have read you correctly, you are on the Star?? I HIGHLY recommend you, first, make a priority for the Tracy Arm boat tour. It is significantly better than the cruiseship sailing, and your likely ONLY access into the South Sawyer Glacier. I put together a photo sample, which speaks more than any words. The photo of the cruiseship is the closest it got to the viewing of the South Sawyer Glacier- photo taken with a normal lens. So hopefully you will realize how significant this add on tour is.

http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Archived