Scuba Diving in Tortola

CarlaMasterson

Friscorays-

Did you bring all your own gear or rent it? Hubby and I want to dive the Rhone while we are in Tortola.

It will just be my husband as he is the only one certified in the family, the rest of us will have to snorkel. He will not be brining his own equipment, therefore he will be renting.

Have you found a place to go?

Friscorays-

Did you bring all your own gear or rent it? Hubby and I want to dive the Rhone while we are in Tortola.

We both brought our gear but every dive operation that I know rents any and all equipment that you might need. The operators vary their dive sites so you would need to check with them directly if they plan on doing the Wreck of the Rhone on your day. I actually dove the Rhone out of Virgin Gorda, while my wife snorkeled above, a few days later. It was fun although the weather did not cooperate fully.

It will just be my husband as he is the only one certified in the family, the rest of us will have to snorkel. He will not be brining his own equipment, therefore he will be renting.

Have you found a place to go?

If your whole family is going you might consider this operation which specializes in group excursions:

http://www.scubabvi.com/

I made a factual error in my initial post to this thread and asked that it be deleted to avoid confusion. I apologize for the error. I will clarify below.

I initially booked an excursion with Dive Tortola in July 2009 for diving and snorkeling in late December 2009. In early December 2009, Dive Tortola contacted me saying that I would no longer be able to dive with them. I do not know why they cancelled my scheduled trip. Their web site now seems to be non-operational so I do not know what is up with them.

Anyway, Dive Tortola did refer me to another operator who was able to provide me with a combined diving and snorkeling day. The operator I was referred to and used was Sail Caribbean Divers. I did a nice two tank dive with them and they met me right at the cruise ship pier. I was joined by my wife (who snorkeled) and a few other snorkelers who hooked up with us after I posted info on the trip on our Roll Call. It was a nice day except for some heavy rain on the way back in. The two sites we visited were Angelfish Reef and "The Indians." Both were around twenty to thirty minutes by boat from the cruise ship pier.

The other scuba operators I know of in Tortola that I saw good reviews for on Cruise Critic are Blue Water Divers BVI and UBS Dive Center. Sail Caribbean Divers was able to accomodate my mixed group of one diver and several snorkelers on are port day so I did not pursue these other two options.

While we were walking around Tortola before our excursion, we also walked by the shop for "We be Divin" just a few minutes from the pier but I do not know a whole lot about them.

Prowlin and Scorp,

I contacted Blue Water Divers and told them I wanted to dive the Rhone; they said no problem, as long as they know long enough in advance (I won't be there until May) they could arrange for your dive day to be a Rhone day. They operate out of Nanny Cay resort which, according to the map, looks to be a few miles south of Road Town.

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever you do avoid Aquaventure. I hate to knock any dive shop because anyone can have an off day, but they are down right dangerous. I believe someone died diving with them recently ( http://www.cdnn.info/news/safety/s090113.html ) (forgive me if this is an error but this info came from someone I know living in the BVI). I have heard nice things about BVI Scuba http://www.bviscubaco.com . A friend of ours dove with them from their Jost Van Dyke shop and thought they were great.

Prowlin and Scorp,

I contacted Blue Water Divers and told them I wanted to dive the Rhone; they said no problem, as long as they know long enough in advance (I won't be there until May) they could arrange for your dive day to be a Rhone day. They operate out of Nanny Cay resort which, according to the map, looks to be a few miles south of Road Town.

Thanks for the info! 47 more days til we leave!

Hello! We dove with the cruise ship's dive operator at the time (1.5 years ago) who was Sail Caribbean Divers. They were a better than average compared to most, giving us a good amount of bottom time and a 1.25 hour SI. Also gave us the usual tour of the boat, with a good swim thru, the spoon and the porthole.

Archived