Windjammer Embarkation Lunch Etiquette

angiemom

I'm a new cruiser seeking advice. We will have carry ons with us containing prescrptions, camera, etc. so we won't want to leave them unattended. What do we do in the Windjammer before our rooms are ready? Should one of us sit at a table with the bags while the other gets food...or should we both go through the food line carrying our bags and then get a table? Both are awkward. Which is the way to go? Thanks!

Do the first - find a table, leave one person with the bags, while second gets food. Awkard, but everyone else does it. It actually is difficult for people to find a table on embarkation.

You can always just keep walking, even outside, till you find someplace to sit and eat.

I'm a new cruiser seeking advice. We will have carry ons with us containing prescrptions, camera, etc. so we won't want to leave them unattended. What do we do in the Windjammer before our rooms are ready? Should one of us sit at a table with the bags while the other gets food...or should we both go through the food line carrying our bags and then get a table? Both are awkward. Which is the way to go? Thanks!

I suggest that you first find a suitable table and then one of you goes to get your lunch while the other waits with the bags. We do this frequently and have never thought it was especially awkward. Trying to get your food while holding on to your carryons would, to my mind, be very awkward and I wouldn't recommend it.:)

I suggest that you first find a suitable table and then one of you goes to get your lunch while the other waits with the bags. We do this frequently and have never thought it was especially awkward. Trying to get your food while holding on to your carryons would, to my mind, be very awkward and I wouldn't recommend it.:)

Totally agree. That's what we do, as I always have a huge carryon. :) You'll be kind of overwhelmed anyway, so it will be nice to find a seat and just relax. Then you can each take turns checking out the layout of the WJ while the other reads the Compass and takes it all in. Have a great time!

We find a table. I sit and relax while Hubby gets his food. Then I get up and get mine. Usally when I am sitting there alone, a Windjammer waiter will come around and offer ice tea or coffee or water, so by the time Hubby gets back, I have him set up with drinks. I find my food much faster than he does, so he is still eating when I get back.

That is what works for us.

Royal Caribbean does not have cafeteria lines in the Windjammer on any ship. They use multiple food action stations, as many as a dozen sometimes, so there are no lines at all. Find a table, park your bags and one person, and the rest then go and get your selections. When the first person returns, then the person watching the table gets his/her food. Everybody does this, especially on embarkation day.

Thanks to the new airline rules (flying into the U.S from Canada) I will not have a carry on to contend with :cool:

Are they still charging for checked bags?

What do you do with prescriptions and valuables, if you have them?

OP, we follow this rule of finding a seat first throughout the cruise, not just at lunch the first day. BF is a sweetheart and stays at the table and gets drinks. It's usually just easier to stake out a spot first, then go get your food.

When you finish eating your lunch vacate your table and find someplace else to sit with your luggage until rooms are ready. We always do this since there are lots of folks who need to eat lunch and seating is always a problem once lots of people are on board.

There are lots of other places to sit in comfort while waiting. Our last cruise we waited in the internet cafe which was right at the end of the hall where our room was located. Worked out great!

Yikes, I can;t imagine walking around the buffet with carry ons! It's already like an ant hill, with people bumping into each other, cutting you off and walking in every different direction.

Our solution is to eat before we board and board a little later than the crowds. If we don't have time for this, we will wait until after 2 pm to grab a bite in the WJ, it's far less crowded then. By then our carry ons are unpacked and stored in the cabin :)

I remember reading a post about being allowed to drop off carry on bags in your stateroom before 1:00. Just tried searching and couldn't find it, but I found a similar one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1095549

We've not been able to get to our stateroom before 1 p.m. in several years. The fire doors are closed at the end of each hall and usually there is staff there to keep you from opening those doors and going to your room before 1. Not that I would ever do that. The stewards are busy getting the rooms ready and I wouldn't bother them.

Just curious as to how you were able to get to your room before 1 p.m.

On the Monarch, they station "guards" at the entries to the cabin areas and won't let you through until all cabins are officially available.:)

I just asked they crew member? if I could go drop off my carry on and they've always said yes. I never gave it much thought really. I'm not in anyone's way..hurry in..hurry out. No big deal. Yes, always before 1...I like to embark early. :)

Is the WJ the only place you can eat lunch on embarkation day?

If you want a full lunch - yes. If you want a snack like a filled croissant or a slice of pizza then there is cafe Promenade or Sorrentos on Royal Promanade (if you are Freedom or Voyager class) Even more venues on Oasis.

..after 19 cruises, we have changed the "have to go eat with the cattlecall" as soon as we board routine.

Even on the best ships this will be a time when the Windjammer (or equivalent buffet

venue) will be mobbed; many with carry on luggage; and the venue is just not at it's best.

We now try to eat a large, late breakfast before boarding; and skip the first lunch upstairs altogether. There is usually somewhere to snack later after the safety drill before

MDR dinner.

Mitch

Finally found where I first read that you could drop bags off before the rooms are ready:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1120895

Even if your stateroom is not ready, you are still allowed to drop bags in your room.

But then there was this reply, so I guess you can't:

Not anymore - you have to wait until after one when they open the fire doors. Our last cruise they made the announcement around 1:30.

As noted above there are fire doors that are closed..How did this person just get to their cabin to drop off carryons? Don't count on this.

On our cruise on the Explorer we relaxed in the library and watched many people open up the doors and go to their staterooms before 1:00.

Archived