Cruisetour or not?

loanin

My mother and I are taking our first Alaskan Cruise in June this year. We have been told that you really need to spend time outside of the cruise ship in Alaska. We are wondering whether taking a cruisetour would be the way to go or just spend an extra day or two in Juneau after the cruise. And what are the most important things we should make sure we do/see while there. Any help would be really appreciated.

My mother and I are taking our first Alaskan Cruise in June this year. We have been told that you really need to spend time outside of the cruise ship in Alaska. We are wondering whether taking a cruisetour would be the way to go or just spend an extra day or two in Juneau after the cruise. And what are the most important things we should make sure we do/see while there. Any help would be really appreciated.

Have you already chosen your cruise?? If so, what?

For you to add a day or two in Juneau, requires planning and flights. None of the added "cruisetours" offer this.

IF referring to the "cruisetours" offered by the cruiselines, and comparing them to going on your own- IF you are open to going on your own, then do so. Independent Interior Alaska touring offer you so much more.

Definatly do the cruise/tour. You will NOT regret it. I did mine before our cruise, but either before or after is fine. You see so much more on a cruise/tour. BTW, I don't think you need to spend more then 1 day in Juneau, but as much time as you can touring inland, especially Denali

We love the seven day cruises to Alaska ... going on our 8th in May! You really get to see a lot plus you get a lot of relaxing time on the ship.

Check out our several trip reports and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html

In all our cruises to Alaska, we have done one cruise/tour. Since my DW is a Travel Agent we did a "familiarization" trip with HAL which was the loooong tour version. Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/ct.html

In all honesty, I do have to say that Denali Park is amazing, and Fairbanks is very interesting. However, IMAO ( and it is JUST my opinion) I am not really sure it is worth the long travel times. Distances in Alaska are vast. The cruise tour is a very different experience from the cruise. Essentially you have at least two very long travel days with lots of spruce and willow forests to look at, grabbing food as you go, getting up early and hopping on the bus or train, and then whatever time you allow for the major attractions, again usually at a fairly frenzied pace.

To us, the cruise is the thing. Relaxation, pampering, wonderful food, great entertainment, plus the chance to see so many major Alaska attractions, and then glaciers! Having done the inland portion once I don't think we would repeat it.

YMMV.

We did a cruisetour before our previous Alaska cruise and will be doing another this year. The first time it was just my wife and myself and she was reluctant to go, so I convinced her that if she was going to go all the way to Alaska she should see both the inland sections of the state as well as the coastal areas. She has been impatient to return ever since. This time we will have a number of our friends traveling with us and it will be a different experience. If it is your first and possibly only trip to Alaska, I believe that you should not travel all that way without seeing the spectacular scenery that is found between Seward and Fairbanks, especially in Denali. :)

In 2004 we did our first and what we thought would be our only trip to Alaska.We did a 5 night land tour then 7 night Southbound.We viited Anchorage,Talkeetna,Denali and Fairbanks.Did all the sponsored tours and booked several independent including Flightseeing with glacier landing,which we have given #1 on all time tours.The land portion is hectic and doing the cruise last seems to be more appealing and relaxing.

This cruise we are fortunate to have booked a 14 Night R/T SEA we are getting to see many of the things we didn't get to experience.Anchorage Heritage Center,Alyeska and Portage Glacier Homer Kodiak and Sitka.

We did just the 7 day cruise Southbound on HAL our first trip to Alaska. We really enjoyed Sitka the most. The other ports are very commercialized and soooo many people now. When we were there in 1999, they were slower paced and not so many ships in port.

For our second trip, I knew I wanted to see more of interior Alaska as well as the Yukon. From the Gold Rush days, the Yukon and Alaska are almost always talked about linked together. I found a HAL cruisetour #1 called the Yukon Wilderness. We boarded the Zuideredam in Vancouver, sailed to Tracy Arm, Juneau and Skagway. We met our tour director and debarked in Skagway. Up the Whitepass Yukon Railroad to Fraser. Coach to Whitehorse Yukon (overnight), on to Dawson City Yukon (2 nights), riverboat on the Yukon River to Eagle Alaska, back on the coach to Chicken, and Tok (overnight), then on in to Fairbanks (overnight). The next morning we boarded the dome train to Denali (overnight), then back on the train to Anchorage. We had 3 days on the cruise and 8 days on land. I absolutely loved it. If I were to go again, I would choose 2 nights at each stop, and purchase the food plan (if it is offered). We didn't buy it, and ended up spending just as much on the food as if we had. We thought we could find local places to eat cheaper than the tour hotels, but we arrived at the hotels usually around 5:30-6:00 and were ready to eat, so always went into the hotel restaurant anyway.

If you have ever done a coach tour, you know the routine. The bags out by the door, be at the bus at 7:00, 7:30 or 8:00. They keep you entertained and you stop about every 1 1/2 hours for restrooms, sights, or stores, something always along the way. They schlepp your luggage. You sit back and enjoy the sights, let the driver worry about traffic, road work, sights to see, etc. We actually had two buses (1A and 1B) and we switched off leading so the same bus didn't always arrive first anywhere. And your tour director stays with you the whole trip to handle any minor problems that might arise.

The ports and time in ports don't really show you the true beauty of Alaska. It truly is amazing to see the Interior and talk to the locals at the small towns (Chicken had three stores and an outhouse). And Dawson City was truly remarkable. A lot of the buildings from the 1800's are still standing (some dilapidated from the permafrost), dirt roads, boardwalks, etc. And then you realize this isn't a movie set, or just for the tourists, these folks live this way all year long.

Have a great trip, you can't go wrong whatever you decide to do. Alaska is the prize!

We are doing a DIY cruisetour! We booked 3-day/2-night rail tour from Anchorage to Denali, staying at Denali Princess Lodge, for $575 for 2 people (using the TourSaver coupon) and you don't need to be a Princess cruise passenger. You'll get to choose your own tour in Denali or use the shuttle, like we will. Then we'll be going from Anchorage to Whittier by rail on our own to board the cruise. We liked the freedom of this more than the cruisetour itineraries and it's a lot cheaper.

Have you already chosen your cruise?? If so, what?

For you to add a day or two in Juneau, requires planning and flights. None of the added "cruisetours" offer this.

IF referring to the "cruisetours" offered by the cruiselines, and comparing them to going on your own- IF you are open to going on your own, then do so. Independent Interior Alaska touring offer you so much more.

We are looking at taking the Princess cruise. Sorry for omitting that. The cruisetour costs as much or more than the cruise for almost half the time so we didn't know if it was worth it or should be go on our own.

We are looking at taking the Princess cruise. Sorry for omitting that. The cruisetour costs as much or more than the cruise for almost half the time so we didn't know if it was worth it or should be go on our own.

If open to it, strongly consider going on your own. This board is an excellent resource for accurate, superior Interior Alaska trip planning. Has been used by many, which I have to say- there has NEVER been anyone report back they were sorry, and usually well raved about. You do not see those reports always with cruisetours.

Very very simple to go on your own, easily seeing what you want and moving along from areas of less interest.

Sounds great however we don't know WHAT we want to see. We have no idea of the "must see" places or where to stay or not stay, etc so I am concerned about going out on our own.

OK, that concerns me. HOW are you choosing a cruisetour?? Frankly, any routing of a cruisetour, can easily be duplicated with a rental car. :) Plus the ability to add time or skip areas. The freedom a car allows can not be underestimated. :)

The "major" highlight areas on most cruisetours is Denali Park. I always recommend Seward, since many people have a wildlife preference when they think of Alaska. 5 days between these two, is very doable. Most cruises do not have good itineraries with these two areas.

What cruisetours are you currently considering?? I could suggest basic alternatives, if interested.

Sounds great however we don't know WHAT we want to see. We have no idea of the "must see" places or where to stay or not stay, etc so I am concerned about going out on our own.

You really need to do some research on Alaska then. I made the mistake of booking my cruise before doing any research and winded up switching to another cruise line because of the itinerary.

Check to see if your local library has a Fodor's or Frommer's Alaska cruises book or a general Alaska book. My library had all 4 of them. You can also buy them on Amazon or a bookstore. Read up and figure out where you want to go before you book anything. Frommer's has Best lists (or a must see/do list) in the beginning of their books.

We were looking at Princess Tours EB5 tour starting from Anchorage to Mt. Mckinley, Denali and back. I have been doing hours of researching and I did find the tour book and it offered the Princess Tour/Denali Princess willderness Lodge $499 buy one get one free. there is also a buy one get one free night for McKinley Princess Lodge. After researching I am feeling better about going out on our own. I was also interested in the Classic Alaska tour in particular the Fairbanks Riverboat Cruise. I was also thinking about Kodiak too. Too much to choose from and so little time I guess

Too much to choose from and so little time I guess

SO TRUE! There were a lot of things I felt like I had to give up. As 2 working people, our trip can only be so long. That's when you just have to prioritize the stuff you really want to see and everything else will have to be next time!

We were looking at Princess Tours EB5 tour starting from Anchorage to Mt. Mckinley, Denali and back. I have been doing hours of researching and I did find the tour book and it offered the Princess Tour/Denali Princess willderness Lodge $499 buy one get one free. there is also a buy one get one free night for McKinley Princess Lodge. After researching I am feeling better about going out on our own. I was also interested in the Classic Alaska tour in particular the Fairbanks Riverboat Cruise. I was also thinking about Kodiak too. Too much to choose from and so little time I guess

Anchorage/Mt. McKinley

Ride luxury Princess railcars to Talkeetna, then onto the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge by motorcoach. Enjoy a relaxing evening at the lodge.

3 Mt. McKinley

The entire day is free to spend as you choose. Explore the botanical loop, opt for an excursion or just take in the views for the deck at the lodge.

4 Mt. McKinley/Denali

This morning, take a scenic motorcoach journey to Denali National Park and the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. The evening is yours to spend at your own pace.

5 Denali

Travel into Denali National Park on the Natural History Tour. The rest of the afternoon is at your leisure. Enjoy another night at your riverside lodge.

6 Denali/Whittier

Ride the Denali Express rail direct to your awaiting ship in Whittier. Embark and sail this evening

I am going to diesect, this for you. Unless you arrive a day early, you have no time in Anchorage. The train leaves 8am. Talkeetna is a small "town". :) Flight seeing of McKinley is a major tour option. There are a few restaurants, small museum. The bus to McKinley lodge is 50 miles away. This lodge is isolated. Main forte of the lodge is the McKinley view, BUT that is rare. It looks like 2 nights here?? The bus to Denali Park, is 2+ hours. But it looks like that "morning" departure, is late morning, since they reference the "evening" is free. Biggest mistake of this tour- is the Natural History tour inclusion. A complete waste of time, NOT getting you into Denali Park (the whole reason of going there isn't it??). So you will have to decide if you want to change this and what you are going to change it to?? The easiest is the Tundra Wilderness tour, but that is the most costly, at about $110 (you do get a refund from Princess for the NHT). Farther into the park is the Eielson Shuttle bus, at about $40. BUT you do have to get yourself to the bus pick up area, and take in all your own food and drink (you are well advised to also do that with the TWT) It's all about time and distance.

You final day is 10 hours on the train, with only the last 2 hours, significant scenery.

Princess rail cars are assigned table seating, so 2 people ride backwards.

This cruisetour does not include Seward. And essentially only goes to two areas. Would be very simple to also consider going there independently with a rental car, and the ability to stop all along the way, taking in many more sights that are completely missed by cruisetours. If you add more days, or cut back on Talkeetna, you could include Seward perhaps, or see more of Anchorage. More options to consider. :)

You are all awesome. Thanks so much! We only have 4 or MAYBE 5 day max. I think our thoughts are we would like to do Prince William Sound tour, we were also interested in the Steamship cruise in Fairbanks but I am thinking we won't have time for that. We definately want to do dog sledding but to actually spend time sledding. I undersand there are several dog sledding adventures that spend much of the time touring where we would like to focus on riding. Whitepass Railway and Sitka are other interests. Can you make something of all that?

You are all awesome. Thanks so much! We only have 4 or MAYBE 5 day max. I think our thoughts are we would like to do Prince William Sound tour, we were also interested in the Steamship cruise in Fairbanks but I am thinking we won't have time for that. We definately want to do dog sledding but to actually spend time sledding. I undersand there are several dog sledding adventures that spend much of the time touring where we would like to focus on riding. Whitepass Railway and Sitka are other interests. Can you make something of all that?

Glacier dog sledding has limited time actually sledding, maybe going over a couple miles. You also do not drive your own sled, but can switch off riding the breaks. Anything not via helicopter is going to be a cart ride on dirt/gravel.

With Sitka on your list. See what fits that with itineraries of the cruise lines. Will significantly narrow down your choices.

No, you really do not have time for Fairbanks, and frankly, it's an area that needs more interest in other touring to consider heading all the way there, in my opinion. With 5 days, you could do Denali Park and Seward, depending on your arrival/departure in Anchorage. You'll add the Prince William Sound tour, when in Whittier either embarking/disembarking.

Archived