Goff's Caye Questions

rjkcubs

As I have posted on other threads, last year the group we were with went to Bannister Island. We loved it, mainly because it was perfect for the kids, and it was easy to get to from the ship since we booked it through Carnival.

We are coming to Belize again in March, and as of now it doesn't look like Bannister will be offered then. I did receive a written response from Carnival when I questioned this, and they indicated it could be added after the new year. I haven't seen it yet, and am not counting on this being added.

So, we are looking for a kid-friendly excursion. Our best days are typically spent at a beach considering we will be coming from cold-weather and all the kids in our group LOVE the beach and water.

I understand Goff's is much smaller than Bannister, and from the pictures it doesn't look like the area really has a beach. This is fine, as long as there is somewhere for our kids to get in the water. So, for those that have been there, is there shallow water surrounding the island where the kids can play? You know, not too rocky or rough.

Also, do they serve drinks (ie beer, cocktails) on the island? Thanks in advance for responses.

Yes the water is really shallow near the island. It is quite small but then again there are limited people there as well. You can snorkle off the boat or off shore. There are not a lot of fish really close to island but there is coral is about three feet of water. It is sandy near the dock. There were 2 port-a-potties on the dock. There were a few locals grilling and selling drinks there. We went with our kids 14 and 16 and enjoyed it. We do not require a whole lot of entertainment which works for us. If the kids just want to play this should work for you. You can see the harbor master island from there as well.

The last thread about Goff's Cay that was out there two months ago stated that even the port a potties were gone, but one hint. BYOTP Bring your own toilet paper. It is not in the port a potty(you have kids). I will be there in two weeks, if I'm back before you sail, then you can read my review. Happy Sailing. And yes, they set up a "quick beer/burger" stand everyday, but if you book thru Carnival you are only there two hours. They pick you up at your ship, and take you back to your ship.Happy Sailing:)

As I have posted on other threads, last year the group we were with went to Bannister Island. We loved it, mainly because it was perfect for the kids, and it was easy to get to from the ship since we booked it through Carnival.

We are coming to Belize again in March, and as of now it doesn't look like Bannister will be offered then. I did receive a written response from Carnival when I questioned this, and they indicated it could be added after the new year. I haven't seen it yet, and am not counting on this being added.

So, we are looking for a kid-friendly excursion. Our best days are typically spent at a beach considering we will be coming from cold-weather and all the kids in our group LOVE the beach and water.

I understand Goff's is much smaller than Bannister, and from the pictures it doesn't look like the area really has a beach. This is fine, as long as there is somewhere for our kids to get in the water. So, for those that have been there, is there shallow water surrounding the island where the kids can play? You know, not too rocky or rough.

Also, do they serve drinks (ie beer, cocktails) on the island? Thanks in advance for responses.

http://www.coralbreezetours.com/ A lot of boards mention them as being a good option. You would have to tender to shore to catch your tour.

They list one option with the Manatee tour of just staying on the beach while the snorklers go to the reef.

Can anyone that has been to Goff's Caye comment on the snorkeling. Is it decent there? We are advanced snorkelers to we'd like to see some coral and fish even if we have to swim out a ways to see it. Also, is it possible to just take a water taxi or ferry there from the pier or do you have to book an excursion. We want to spend all day somewhere snorkeling and it seems like the tours only have you there for a couple hours.

Any other recommendations for snorkeling in Belize are also welcome.

Thank you! :)

Jessie

Just took the excursion with Carnival to Geoffs Caye last month. Port-a-potties were there (take TP), and some locals were cooking food. beach is 360, white sand and shallow. Since the stay is not that long (2 hr?)....just take some treats or sandwiches from the ship....we went to the deli the night before and took a sandwhich to eat on the beach. Your kids would be fine. Boat ride to the Caye is about 45 minutes each way...

boat picked us up at the ship...no tendering..which is good for the kids also.

Can anyone that has been to Goff's Caye comment on the snorkeling. Is it decent there? We are advanced snorkelers to we'd like to see some coral and fish even if we have to swim out a ways to see it. Also, is it possible to just take a water taxi or ferry there from the pier or do you have to book an excursion. We want to spend all day somewhere snorkeling and it seems like the tours only have you there for a couple hours.

Any other recommendations for snorkeling in Belize are also welcome.

Thank you! :)

Jessie

Fun trip to do....not the absolute best place I've snorkeled, but the reef is close to the Caye, and then it has a drop off....might be better to go somewhere located more over the total reef....but not sure if you are on a cruise, that time will allow it.

Thanks for posting the information. So lets get this straight, take some toilet paper-just in case, wear your water shoes for the rocks and enjoy. I am so looking forward to this excursion. Did you see anything while you were heading out to this caye, like dolphin, flying fish, whale sharks, anything or any point of land that was interesting?

• 2 weeks later...

OK so it was windy, the seas were choppy and the island is a strip, STRIP of sand with maybe 7 trees, and some scrub brush. The outhouse is a school room shade of puce green, there is a local dude who sells chicken and lobster kabobs, which are fantastic! We snorkeled with our life vests tied around our waists, which actually worked out well, as some areas were deep, and I saw fish, and coral and it was really neat. If you have ever read the Wizard of Earthsea trilogy, this island would be in the outer reach.

After our snorkel, we had another hour or so on the island. If you are facing the dock there is a beautiful calmer sandy area to the left where we put on our snorkel gear and explored what was in the sand bar wall. When our ship was leaving and following the channel back out to sea, this is the last, LAST, island on your left.

I would do this excursion again in a heart beat. I would even stay on the island and not snorkel with the group, but that was fun too. I could see fine with my mask even though I am legally blind, and I was told that all we did was swim 100 yards out to the reef. Seemed longer than that. Calmer seas would have made this the world's best snorkel experience, but I will take what I had as wonderful. Got sunburnned, bring sun screen. That was a week ago, now peeling.

And there is a saleman on the island who sells handmade necklaces and hand carved bowls. I bought one of the bowls. I love wood, this wood is blond and dark brown, and the shape of the bowl is like an arrowhead. No matter where we went on this cruise, people were selling something sonmewhere.

Archived