KEY WEST Taxi's? Train? Trolley?

05mak05

We're booked on the RCCL Rhapsody for April 3rd out of Galveston and are scheduled to dock in Key West at 3 p.m. I'm reading conflicting reviews about the ease of getting to the Old Town area with some postings saying the wait to get off the ship and on to a trolley could take as long as 1 & 1/2 hours. Does it depend on where you dock as the having to take either the Conch Train or the trolley? Is Old Town within walking distance of the cruise terminal? Are taxi's available? And, we'd also like to have some suggestions for the best places to eat (moderately priced.) Thanks!

You might have to dock a bit away from the town, or you might dock right in the middle of town, or you might have to tender. I don't think it takes 1 1/2 hours to get into town because Key West isn't that big. You could get to Key Largo in less time.

There are lots of great places to eat in KW. Many right there on the main street. You can't go wrong with any of the seafood places.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question. I believe that the various postings I referred to my in original post must have docked at the closed Naval Base on the outskirts of town. We'll cross our fingers and hope we dock within walking distance of Old Town.

The "1 1/2 hour trolley" refers to a separate tour of the island. From your ship to Duval street ranges from 5 min to 15 min depending on pier. No need for a taxi at all. You can walk the whole town. The Conch Train does a 90 min tour. The Trolly goes on a fixed route all day and you can on/off at each stop. both are operated by the same company.

• 2 weeks later...
We're booked on the RCCL Rhapsody for April 3rd out of Galveston and are scheduled to dock in Key West at 3 p.m. I'm reading conflicting reviews about the ease of getting to the Old Town area with some postings saying the wait to get off the ship and on to a trolley could take as long as 1 & 1/2 hours. Does it depend on where you dock as the having to take either the Conch Train or the trolley? Is Old Town within walking distance of the cruise terminal? Are taxi's available? And, we'd also like to have some suggestions for the best places to eat (moderately priced.) Thanks!

We took the Conch train and it's all pretty much within walking distance to where the ship docks.Key West resembles New Orleans minus the water, of course. We walked around and loved it. We ate at one of the many outdoor cafe's. Food was OK. A little over priced but then again, when ships accend upon a small town and over 2,000 people scatter about, you can charge just about what you want!! It's a lot of fun. Enjoy. The old town area you can see on either the conque train or I would guess by bike, or taxi.

Gail J.

Archived