Cancellation at Final Payment

Huddler

I booked a cruise on the Solstice sort of at the last minute yesterday. The final payment for our cruise is due on Sunday. The category of cabin that I wanted was completely sold out but I got put on a waiting list. I took a lower category and am hoping one of two things happen: 1. Someone cancels prior to final payment on Sunday, or 2. Celebrity offers me an upgraded cabin at a reduced price. What is the likelihood of either of these things happening? Do many folks cancel at the time for final payment being due? Will Celebrity reach out to those of already booked to see if we want either a free or reduced cost upgrade? Thanks in advance!

People do cancel right before final payment. TA's frequently will hold these cabins, but do turn them back in when final payment time is near. You may not get an upgraded cabin at a "reduced" price, but you may have more choices and that day's price.

Thanks! How exactly would it work? Do I need to just keep checking the website and then call my TA? Since it is "waitlisted" I would assume they will reach out to the folks on the list before just releasing it on the website but I am not sure. Also, there are several cabins in cats higher than mine that are available. Would Celebrity not try to get folks in lower categories to pay some extra, albeit at a discount, to move up to a better cat?

Thanks! How exactly would it work? Do I need to just keep checking the website and then call my TA? Since it is "waitlisted" I would assume they will reach out to the folks on the list before just releasing it on the website but I am not sure. Also, there are several cabins in cats higher than mine that are available. Would Celebrity not try to get folks in lower categories to pay some extra, albeit at a discount, to move up to a better cat?

Hi Huddler !

I would absolutely keep checking Celebrity's website, and assume nothing about the waitlist. Check a few days before and after final payment, as that's the best time to hope for cabins to open up.

As you mentioned, another option is to keep watching for price drops on higher priced cabins. This may cause some movement from those who are already booked, and cabins in your category, OR cabins in a better category for a few dollars more, might open up. Celebrity will accomodate you, even after final payment.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your Cruise !

I think you need to remember that just because final payment is due, they are not going to quit selling cabins on the ship! They may lower prices on the higher categories, they may sell Gty categories on the types of rooms open, they may put the ship on happy hour pricing, etc.

My point being, don't expect too much to happen just because you have reached the point of final payment. You may be disappointed.

Hopefully you'll get you cabin you've wait-listed for, but I wouldn't expect any deals nor upgrades without paying for them.

As another poster pointed out, sales go on regardless of final payment date and the one thing you can count on is that Celebrity isn't going to reduce the prices withing a week or two before final payment date.

Supply and demand will determine if prices will be reduced at all. Even if your ship is showing empty cabins now the inventory of unsold cabins might be low enough in number that prices actually increase before the cruise sails. In order for there to be a general decrease in prices they have to have a lot of unsold inventory they want to dump. If they have a limited inventory, but more than they can sell at current prices, they will use discounting methods to sell the inventory in a way that won't incur any obligation to offer discounts or upgrades to passengers who paid higher prices. They'll do this by putting items on Tuesday special (they are very strict about the new bookings only rule for pricing on these specials) or by offering the lower prices to very limited geography (residents of certain states or countries) or other targeted groups, such as seniors.

My recommendation is to book the cabin you really want, and never book a cabin you don't want with the hope of moving or getting upgraded later on. So if you don't like your cabin then cancel and tell your agent you'll rebook if you can get the cabin you would want.

Your TA should be on the lookout for the cabin you want, but personally I wouldn't rely on them if you have the ability to check on your own frequently.

Well, the Cruise Gods sure smiled on me today! I got a call at 7:15 am from my TA, who was a couple hours behind me on the west coast!:eek: He asked if I still wanted that upgrade because he had Celebrity on the line and the category that I wanted had a cabin open up! I jumped on it!! I am very happy and feel very lucky that I got this cabin! And I am definitely going to use this TA whenever possible as he did a great job to snag me the category that I wanted. Now to start planning the cruise!!

Archived