Anyone want to Salmon fish in May?

Without Tessa

We are going to be in Ketchikan on May 19th and wanted to do some fishing (I posted another topic "Painted into a corner") but are looking for another couple to make it more economical.

Northern Lights is the tour we are hoping to go with leaving about 3:00pm and returning back to the pier between 6 & 7pm. The price would be $99pp plus license and tax.

Anyone interested?

IIMHO, your excursion would be a waste of money. The only salmon abundant in the Ketchikan area in early May is King. Kings are hard to catch and hard to find, except in the Kenai. The Sockeye are in abundance in June in Ketchikan. Our part-time neighbors in Arizona are Alaska natives and live on an island outside Ketchikan. They leave Arizona every year about May 10, to go home (they drive their motor home) to Alaska for fishing and the cooler weather. I just called her, she gave me this website, with a fish calendar on it. She verified that her DH goes salmon fishing after Memorial Day.

http://advancedcharters.com/experien.htm#cal

My DH goes to Alaska every year for salmon fishing. He also said it would be pretty poor fishing in May. I would save your money. That is a pretty expensive 3 hour fishing trip, with not a lot of chance at success.

Oops! Maybe I got this wrong! I do remember some posts that salmon is not plentiful during spring. But what about other fish? We enjoy fishing and we are used to getting 1-5 lb fish in Ontario. We were hoping for an exciting catch but not too concerned with what kind. My husband is allergic to fish and can't eat it anyway.

When priced out in the Caribbean, we found most charters were priced REALLY high (like $200-300 pp!) so we thought we would do this in Alaska instead.

I appreciate the link and took a look at it - does this mean that there is fish there but not necessarily "biting" at this time??

Thanks for the help!

Archived