Splendor, jan10-17th

deepnite10

We arrived at 11am though we received a call not to show till 2pm..And though we expected some rain, the day was beautiful..

Upon arriving at the terminal we were given direction s to either drop off or the parking garage..We chose to park first then walk our luggage to the terminal area..It can be a bit confusing at first when you arrive..But, the attendants were great in giving directions to where ever you wanted to go..

I have alot of pictures and will attempt to answer question s with a picture whenever possible..

Yes, we did have to wait outside the terminal until called to enter the terminal area..

CCLSplendorjan102010001.jpg

We were given zone numbers..When our zone s were called we went as a group into the terminal..

CCLSplendorjan102010006.jpg

Yup..The Queen Mary was right next door..

CCLSplendorjan102010003.jpg

We waited for about an hr. befor being called..But, there was a shop to pickup any last minute items you might have forgotten..

CCLSplendorjan102010002.jpg

The only negative was pointed out to me by the wife..Though the food selection was excellent as usual..The beef for some reason dry and tough..Some of my fellow cruiser s may want to chime in..

Food is a very important part of our cruise experience..And we were impressed..As we ve read from the reviews..We had to try the Mong. BBQ..I had them add shrimp to mine which was very good..The wife had

the beef *not so good* as i mention d..

Several time s we stop d by the Burger stand near the pool area..Though they offered burger s and hots..We chose to make up our own chili frys or

nochos..:)

They also, had a Indian venue which we past on several times..Just not to our taste..But, across from them was a deli where we had several grilled Rubens..

The wife visited the Burrito bar several times..Where your burrito s are made to order..As with the omlette stand..

On deck 5 was the coffee bar where i had a few lattes..Too bad they have discontinued the coffee card program..A few doors away was the sushi stand where they were giving out little plates of assorted items..Twice during the cruise they had tapas laid out..all at no charge..

The hot chocolate cake was found in the Lido as well in MD..I had mine with a scoop of vanilla ice cream..

I think i have just answered some of the question i had befor this cruise:confused:

Those who sailed with us, feel free to add your pictures...

We arrived at 11am though we received a call not to show till 2pm..And though we expected some rain, the day was beautiful..

Upon arriving at the terminal we were given direction s to either drop off or the parking garage..We chose to park first then walk our luggage to the terminal area..It can be a bit confusing at first when you arrive..But, the attendants were great in giving directions to where ever you wanted to go..

I have alot of pictures and will attempt to answer question s with a picture whenever possible..

Yes, we did have to wait outside the terminal until called to enter the terminal area..

CCLSplendorjan102010001.jpg

We were given zone numbers..When our zone s were called we went as a group into the terminal..

CCLSplendorjan102010006.jpg

Yup..The Queen Mary was right next door..

CCLSplendorjan102010003.jpg

We waited for about an hr. befor being called..But, there was a shop to pickup any last minute items you might have forgotten..

CCLSplendorjan102010002.jpg

The only negative was pointed out to me by the wife..Though the food selection was excellent as usual..The beef for some reason dry and tough..Some of my fellow cruiser s may want to chime in..

Food is a very important part of our cruise experience..And we were impressed..As we ve read from the reviews..We had to try the Mong. BBQ..I had them add shrimp to mine which was very good..The wife had

the beef *not so good* as i mention d..

Several time s we stop d by the Burger stand near the pool area..Though they offered burger s and hots..We chose to make up our own chili frys or

nochos..:)

They also, had a Indian venue which we past on several times..Just not to our taste..But, across from them was a deli where we had several grilled Rubens..

The wife visited the Burrito bar several times..Where your burrito s are made to order..As with the omlette stand..

On deck 5 was the coffee bar where i had a few lattes..Too bad they have discontinued the coffee card program..A few doors away was the sushi stand where they were giving out little plates of assorted items..Twice during the cruise they had tapas laid out..all at no charge..

The hot chocolate cake was found in the Lido as well in MD..I had mine with a scoop of vanilla ice cream..

I think i have just answered some of the question i had befor this cruise:confused:

Those who sailed with us, feel free to add your pictures...

Thank you so much for adding the pictures, maybe you could do a daily review and add a daily log of what you did.

I am so sorry that the Meet and Greet was not in the Capers, I was under the impression that it would be posted on the first day at sea. I think in the future, there should be two poeple to make the arrangements just in case something does happen. I am so sorry, I really am.

Oh, and we did not hit anything in PV! :cool:

I do have a question: Kathy, Did Splendor set the time and date for the M&G or did you? I think it should always be announced about a week before sailing on the Roll Call so everyone has a chance to see the info, including latecomers to the Board. That way, even if there is no second leader, everyone can meet and decide what to do if the leader is not able to come. I am sure it about killed you to miss the sailing.

I have been on the Splendor twice once when she was in Florida and then last April during the swine flu cruise to nowhere so having said that i think I know her quite well. I am booked agai for \mexician Riveria in January next year. My question is did you find it cold on the upper decks the first and last night?/

I have been on the Splendor twice once when she was in Florida and then last April during the swine flu cruise to nowhere so having said that i think I know her quite well. I am booked agai for \mexician Riveria in January next year. My question is did you find it cold on the upper decks the first and last night?/

I guess it's a relative thing. I did not find it cold ever. But we were coming out of 14 degrees in the morning here and so the first and last day in January were cooler than the middle of the cruise. My daughter was "cold" and she's from Southern California. I found it very pleasant myself and a little on the boy it's warm side.

Jennifer

we expected it to rain and be on the cool side..instead it was dry..it was warm enough for us to return to the car and stash our coats..

on debarkation day we return d early..7am..we were told that those wishing debark early with their luggage..that we would be called by deck..

there were several waiting areas..we stay d in Spectacular, Spectacular Theatre..we were to debark in the second group..

instead some lady from CCL came in and announced that we could debark..:confused: ..i had to ask again if it was OK for us to debark with the first group..YEH!!:D..we were on the road by 8:30am..

on the first and last nights it was cold..but, on the first night it was nt nearly as cold and windy as the last..

First port of call Puarta Vallarta..this was our 4th vist to PV so we decided to just cab it to downtown and walk the Malecon..

Infront of the Downtown Starbucks..

CCLSplendorjan102010011.jpg

The walk begins..

CCLSplendorjan102010013.jpg

CCLSplendorjan102010014.jpg

san sculptures..

CCLSplendorjan102010019.jpg

these gotta be some kinda beach gods..

CCLSplendorjan102010020.jpg

Next stop..Matzalan

i wanted to cab it back to the ship..but, the wife wanted to take a walk..:mad:

Oh, and we did not hit anything in PV! :cool:

I do have a question: Kathy, Did Splendor set the time and date for the M&G or did you? I think it should always be announced about a week before sailing on the Roll Call so everyone has a chance to see the info, including latecomers to the Board. That way, even if there is no second leader, everyone can meet and decide what to do if the leader is not able to come. I am sure it about killed you to miss the sailing.

I had asked for 10:30 to 11:30AM because that is what the group that responded said was a good time. I was under the impression from Carnival that this would be fine. They told me that it would be in the Capers so everyone would know which lounge it was going to be held in. I have now found out that The Splendor is one of the ships that does not announce Greet and Meets, I guess it is up to the Cruise Director on what gets in the Capers and what does not. I am going to send a note to John Heald about this and let him know that some of the CD's do not follow up on his requests.

I had looked so forward to this cruise, but I guess things happen for a reason, maybe in time I will be able to figure out why, but right now I just can't.

Rather than a ship tour we decided to rent a open air taxi and tour the gold zone..we got into a open air taxi..and for $20 we got a 2 hr narated tour..

So impressed with the driver that when we stop d by our favorite Starbucks we got him a ice latte as well..it was a luxury he seldom indulged in..

As we docked..the view reminded us much of S. San Franciso..

CCLSplendorjan102010027.jpg

Though the terminal is a short distance away..all passengers were required to take a shuttle that were plentiful..

CCLSplendorjan102010029.jpg

Inside the terminal were reps. from various resorts offering free rides if we sat in a time share presentation..FORGET IT..

The terminal there were many shop s and if you don t like being approched by a vendor..just say *no thankyou*..its there signal not to bother you again..if they do, then it s consider d harrasment and not tolerated by the port authorities..

CCLSplendorjan102010030.jpg

these taxi s were kinda neat..just like a high speed golf cart..

CCLSplendorjan102010035.jpg

Touring the beach and ZONE

CCLSplendorjan102010037.jpg

CCLSplendorjan102010038.jpg

cont.

CCLSplendorjan102010040.jpg

Expensive..but, great seafood..read about it in Trip Advisor

CCLSplendorjan102010044.jpg

along the beach Boardwalk were numerous statues dedicated to everything Matzalan..guess what this one is dicated to?

CCLSplendorjan102010052.jpg

View of Stone Island from the Lido Deck

CCLSplendorjan102010057.jpg

and another

CCLSplendorjan102010059.jpg

We were told to take our SS cards and picture ID s with us to pass security check points when returning..not once were we asked for ID..

CCLSplendorjan102010056.jpg

after the tour we handed our driver/tour operator $20 and a $4 tip..additionally i had picked up a 88$ peso gift card from Starbucks and gave it to the driver..

Next, Cabo..

Great pictures, thanks for sharing them.

We're not big Carnival fans but I must tell you, this ship is worth a try. We had a great time and really enjoyed the entertainment, cruise director and her staff. Our cabin steward was excellent.

We liked our veranda cabin and found the size to be adequate.

There was never a long line to anything. There's lots of places to eat and plenty of seating in all areas.

The ship was full and it never felt crowded.

We bought FCC's and want to try the Splendor again.

The decor is very upbeat and definitely modern.

I have never heard of CCL putting the meet and greet in the capers. RCCL hosts a meet and mingle and sends an invitation to your cabin. Wish CCL would do this. Usually on CCL if we have enough interest we just decide on a meeting place and time. Sorry you guys didn't get to meet as desired. If I am on a roll call I usually try and put in a second time. I know once we did one after sailaway and then one the next morning during the bloody mary/mimosa special.

Candi

Last port, Cabo ..the children have a condo there was nt too much we had nt already seen..looking for a return this coming June..

Cabo is a tender port..serving the Splendor is 4 tenders and a catamaran..

CCLSplendorjan102010063.jpg

CCLSplendorjan102010064.jpg

Resort just south east of the port area..

CCLSplendorjan102010067.jpg

All aboard..

CCLSplendorjan102010069.jpg

This is where you ll be going..

CCLSplendorjan102010068.jpg

What is Cabo without Lands End..

CCLSplendorjan102010070.jpg

we found that even without taking any excursions you can still have a fabulous time..you ll have plenty of time at the ports..just organize your time..

we always allowed 2 hrs to make sure we made it back to the ship..that way if you find out your not on schedule for the return..you can start scrambling for alternate transportation..:D

I had asked for 10:30 to 11:30AM because that is what the group that responded said was a good time. I was under the impression from Carnival that this would be fine. They told me that it would be in the Capers so everyone would know which lounge it was going to be held in. I have now found out that The Splendor is one of the ships that does not announce Greet and Meets, I guess it is up to the Cruise Director on what gets in the Capers and what does not. I am going to send a note to John Heald about this and let him know that some of the CD's do not follow up on his requests.

I had looked so forward to this cruise, but I guess things happen for a reason, maybe in time I will be able to figure out why, but right now I just can't.

Did Carnival charge you for the greet and meet? I have heard that you can get an open bar for about $9.95 a person if you have 20 people. :confused:

Final night aboard..given instruction s on debarkation regarding time s and requirements regarding customs and filling out those opinion cards..

This time we had as good a time or better than any of our other cruises..

The wife was happy, so i was also..except for the final show we did just about everything she wanted..from the spa to what to do in ports..

5 times to the Mexican Riviera and this was her best experience..

Deparkation was confusing only cuz there were many rules to follow in order for a smooth debarkation..We were given 25 as a debarkation number..as a result we decided to carry our own luggage off..

Early debarkation for those wanting to debark early were called by deck..

First the priority people then the others..We chose to sit and wait in the

theatre on the 3rd deck..when they came in they just said if our customs

tags were done we could debark..and with the priority guest as well..

We showed our passports, scan d our SS cards turned in our customs declaration s, all took maybe 15 mins and we were headed down the escalators..just one incident was the lady who had the wheels of her luggage slip under the steps of the escalator which stop it in its tracks..we had to drag our luggage the rest of the way down the still stairs..hope it did delay the rest of the guest head down..

Our cabin, night befor..

The beloved towel animals..I missed our dogs so much that one night i gave one of them a hug..

CCLSplendorjan102010084.jpg

The wife said one of the highlights was our cabin..

CCLSplendorjan102010085.jpg

Entering thru the front door..

CCLSplendorjan102010086.jpg

The safe..You have to punch in your desired combination..No SS, credit card needed..Don t mess it up, cuz it could take a half hr to get someone up to open the safe door with a electronic key..

CCLSplendorjan102010087.jpg

Our cooler..it kept the wife vodka jello block cold..she d get a glass of OJ

and throw in a few jello blocks..Or eat them straight up..

CCLSplendorjan102010088.jpg

They do have shampoo and soap in dispenser..We found them to be fine..

If you have difficult hair or skin problems, certainly bring your own..

CCLSplendorjan102010090.jpg

Archived