Which would you recommend - Carnival/Royal Caribbean

Tiggs14

We're considering two cruises right now and are looking for insight into which one would be better. We're travelling with two boys ages 5 and 6 years old at cruise time.

Royal Caribbean - Monarch of the Seas

4 night cruise

Port Canaveral with stops in Cococay and Nassau

Carnival - Fascination

5 night cruise

Jacksonville with stops in Halfmoon Cay and Nassau

Costs are basically the same for both cruises which eliminates that factor all together. We're doing 7 nights at Disney before the cruise and will rent a car for the drive to port and back to Orlando. If you think one of the kids clubs is better that the other I'd love to know.

We've never cruised before!

Carnival has the better kids club in most opinions, particularly for those ages (once they hit teen years they may like the extras like the flow rider or rock climbing walls on RCI more). Also, although the prices are the same, you are getting an extra day on Carnival, so really it is 20% cheaper as you are getting 5 for the price of 4. For those reasons alone I would go with Carnival myself.

I personally prefer Carnival, but there is more similar than dissimilar in the two cruiselines. I've never been on either of those ships in particular so can't offer any insight there. But as I said Carnival does probably the best job of kid's clubs. I know many people who have said that their kids prefer Carnival to the Disney cruises as far as just the kid's club goes. Carnival also has better MDR food in most opinions (though I'm sure that an RCI fan will want to contest that ...). RCI has better room service options, and the buffets are about even par between the two. Carnival has the best pizza on the seas, at least of the mainstream cruiselines.

To interject another opinion, my kids actually prefer the RCI kids activities over Carnival. They are older now and definitely prefer RCI.

At your kids ages, however, I don't think you can wrong either way, especially if they haven't been on a cruise before. As the previous poster said the two cruislines are more alike than different. Go with whatever appeals to you more and enjoy. Don't overthink it.

The extra day and Half Moon Cay would make my decision easy. I hear from these boards that Half Moon Cay is by far the nicest private island. I have been there and I book a cruise based on that being a port - I love it so much. Super for the little ones too - you can walk out on fine whole wheat flour coloured sand for ages.

Archived