Snorkeling?

dbail4

Go to St John. I am booked on the Jost excursion next week- I'll post on the trip. We were in the BVIs for 10 days and found some nice snorkeling spots. I spent a lot of time in St Martin as well, but thought the snorkeling was subpar. The water was generally too rough and there were no good reefs close to shore. The only place where we could snorkel was at Tintamarre and Pinel island, but the water wasn't in great shape. At that time, there was a lot of litter around the beach (and glass). I truly hope they've cleaned that up. You can ferry over there from Orient Beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back yesterday from Oasis and we had a wonderful day snorkeling around St. Thomas last Tuesday. We went ion the Rumbaba sailboat charter. The sailing and food were top notch. The snorkeling was great -- we had two different stops. The second was the best. We saw starfish, beautiful colorful tropical fish and even a huge stingray! The Captain Bobby knows many good spots to snorkel. I'd highly recommned it.

Just got back yesterday from Oasis and we had a wonderful day snorkeling around St. Thomas last Tuesday. We went ion the Rumbaba sailboat charter. The sailing and food were top notch. The snorkeling was great -- we had two different stops. The second was the best. We saw starfish, beautiful colorful tropical fish and even a huge stingray! The Captain Bobby knows many good spots to snorkel. I'd highly recommned it.

What is the name of that excursion? Sounds great :)

It was $125 per person if you paid in cash or $140 if you paid by credit card. We sailed from 9am until around 3:30 or 4:00pm. I was a bit apprehensive about being on a sailboat as opposed to a catamaran (which I'm used to) but we saw several cats out there on tours and each had 40-60 people. We were so glad that we had our own little boat. Plus, the food was as good a meal as I can remember. And the snorkeling was great. Just an all around memorable day.

It was $125 per person if you paid in cash or $140 if you paid by credit card. We sailed from 9am until around 3:30 or 4:00pm. I was a bit apprehensive about being on a sailboat as opposed to a catamaran (which I'm used to) but we saw several cats out there on tours and each had 40-60 people. We were so glad that we had our own little boat. Plus, the food was as good a meal as I can remember. And the snorkeling was great. Just an all around memorable day.

What coves did you go to?

I've snorkeled in all these ports. It's my favorite thing to do in port. :)

St John is wonderful, but time consuming to get there and back. We did an island tour with Papa Bear aka Air Force One on our recent Oasis cruise and after a nice tour we went to Sapphire beach where the snorkeling wasn't bad right off shore.

In St. Martin we booked with Captain Alan and though the sea was a bit rough, we still enjoyed snorkeling off the boat at Creole rock and another spot with a sunken submarine. He'll go to different places depending on the weather.

In Nassau we did a snorkel trip with Barefoot Sailing and that was great snorkeling off the sailboat. I hear good things aobut Stuart's Cove for snorkeling in Nassau too.

It does not take 2 hours. I've snorkeled at St John and Jost, and the latter is by far better. We say barracuda, 6 rays and all sorts of coral and fish. I took the Jost excursion, which was faster than the ferries, no doubt. We stopped first at Christmas cove, where they got out with us and pointed out various fish, etc if you wanted. They brought correct type of food which helped attract many schools. The trip is a little less than 6 hours and the sailing time from Jost back is about 40 min. During that 40 minutes, there is beer, soft drinks, rum drinks and fun music. We had a blast. They really knew their stuff. The captain of our ship had sailed private charters in the BVIs for some years. Plus, the beach on Jost is gorgeous and not glutted with tourists.

It does not take 2 hours. I've snorkeled at St John and Jost, and the latter is by far better. We say barracuda, 6 rays and all sorts of coral and fish. I took the Jost excursion, which was faster than the ferries, no doubt. We stopped first at Christmas cove, where they got out with us and pointed out various fish, etc if you wanted. They brought correct type of food which helped attract many schools. The trip is a little less than 6 hours and the sailing time from Jost back is about 40 min. During that 40 minutes, there is beer, soft drinks, rum drinks and fun music. We had a blast. They really knew their stuff. The captain of our ship had sailed private charters in the BVIs for some years. Plus, the beach on Jost is gorgeous and not glutted with tourists.

Really? I wonder why the ferry schedule says 1 hour and 45 minutes from St. Thomas???? decisions, decisions, what to do, what to do :rolleyes:

Archived