Safe place to stow luggage prior to boarding in Old San Juan

teresad2297

Hi everyone -

I originally posted this question in the SJ port board - but this one is alot more active - was hoping to get input for a previous traveler...

We'll be overnighting it in San Juan for one night before we board Celebrity Summit (leaves at 8:30pm)

I'm trying to nail down the hotel - it will be my husband and me and our two young daughters.

We'd like to wander around OSJ a bit during the day before we commit to the ship (out of Pan Am pier)... we've been to OSJ before on a port call and missed seeing the castle? ... anyway,..

We'll have to check out of our hotel by 11 or 12 and would have a few hours before boarding (we're thinking about 4-5ish)

I saw someone else's suggestion of boarding ASAP and then getting back off the ship - sounds great except when towing our kids and at least carryons around if the rooms aren't available right away... and then it's an extra round trip taxi ride to and from the pier--- less time to explore...

I'd like to leave our luggage at our hotel with the porter and then just come back, pick it up and take a taxi to the pier - done this many times in the states at reputable hotels.

My question is - what hotels would you trust for this? Also, it would really be a bonus if the hotel was actually in OSJ so we could get up and just walk out where we wanted to go unlike the Hotel Caribbe...

btw - no rooms available at El Convento.

Any takers on this question?

thanks,

Teresa

progress.gif

There is a place called Barrachina or something like that on a back street in old San Juan. Fortaleza Street. They will store your luggage for a few hours during the day. The ship will have info on this for you! We used it a few years ago. They have a website...Hubby looking at it now.

We got a room at the Sheraton in Old San Juan on Priceline for $100 a night. It was 75 less than making the reservation through AAA.

Our plan is to leave our luggage there as we do some sight seeing and then board. The Sheraton is accross the street from the port, so no Taxi for us.

My husband, has business in san Juan some, and knows what things there cost, etc... so he is renting a car at a rate of $40 a day. You can park it at a lot behind the hotel for less. Apparently it is less to rent a car than to take 2-3 taxi rides. It can also be dropped off at the port instead of returning it to the hotel.

Glad he knows so much about SJ or else I'd be lost!

Hope this helps.

We got a room at the Sheraton in Old San Juan on Priceline for $100 a night. It was 75 less than making the reservation through AAA.

Our plan is to leave our luggage there as we do some sight seeing and then board. The Sheraton is accross the street from the port, so no Taxi for us.

My husband, has business in san Juan some, and knows what things there cost, etc... so he is renting a car at a rate of $40 a day. You can park it at a lot behind the hotel for less. Apparently it is less to rent a car than to take 2-3 taxi rides. It can also be dropped off at the port instead of returning it to the hotel.

Glad he knows so much about SJ or else I'd be lost!

Hope this helps.

I got a room at the same hotel but found out afterward that the Summit leaves from PanAmerican (across the water) from the port we are staying near. I paid double that for the room though through expedia. For priceline, do you know where you are staying before you purchase? I was afraid it would be at a terrible hotel.

We stayed at teh Sheraton Old San Juan pre cruise last year. The hotel does have a luggage room that is close to reception and seems to be safe. You will find there will be a lot of other Cruise Guests staying there as well.

The hotel is also well situated for a walking tour round Old San Juan and is close enough to the Fort.

Have a great time

I am staying at the Hote Caribbe Hilton, do they have a room to place luggage in ?? what time do we have to be out of the rooms ???

Ordinarily, checkout is noon but, depending on the level of incoming reservations, you may be able to get a late checkout. Ask at the desk the day before. It is rare that they can do this on Saturday or Sunday, however.

The bell captain will check luggage at no charge, but tips are expected for the bellmen who handle the bags.

Why store your luggage and not drop it at the pier??? You can do the check in early and then leave to go back to town without even going onboard....... That would be easier for you since you would know your luggage is safe and already onboard when you are ready to go.

When you book through Priceline you select the # of stars you are willing to accept and then it gives you examples of what those hotels would be. For example the Intercontiental might be 4 stars but Embassy Suites might be 3 or 3 and a half. You might not know which hotel specifically you are getting, but you won't be put in a motel 6 if your at 3 stars or above.

However if you want a specific hotel then you have to book it directly.

Once you bid through Priceline, then you are committed to buy...something to consider.

There is a sticky on one of the boards about how to use Pricline and Hotwire.

Archived