Which Alaska trip to choose? Auuuuughh!

woodbinemom

Multi generational family planning my husbands 50th "bucket list" trip of a lifetime! We are taking a 14 year old girl, 17 year old girl, mom and dad 50, 49, and grandparents 70+. Have only done one other cruise to the carribean (Princess last year). I have done so much research that I am at a point where NOTHING is making sense anymore so hope all of you can help! The grandparents want lots of active activities (kayaking, hiking, ect). I need a good program for the kids (liked princess but they didn't have a tweens club so our 13 year old was very left out, 17 year old loved the cruise!). Unlimited budget (so to speak!) and aren't sure about cruise only or cruisetour (I wonder if we can handle more than 8 days away from home). Prob. are looking at RCL or Princess perhaps HAL (but know nothing about them on a recommended basis-have positive recoms. on the other two lines). Any helpful hints to keep my head from exploding!!!!!!!!

The priority activites are off the ship. So look at port options.

You need to decide- how much time and what route, first. This is then narrow down the list.

Get this group together and find that out. There is no point in going all over the board looking at everything. Basic choices are the glaciers, of which there are 4 sailing areas, and Inside Alaska ports, only 6. IF you can't get firm on a cruiseline, then go from the ports and glacier.

All ships will have "kids" programs, but I am one to speculate that, also, what is outside the ship going to be the highlight, making the "ship" stuff insignificant.

Plan some great Alaska experiences and touring. Don't expect to all stick together, split up. Involve EVERYONE in the planning. And narrow down your list, before you get into a cruiseship selection.

Royal Caribbean would be your best bet to accomodate everyone. I sailed with Carnival to Alaska, which was really nice. Typically they attract a younger audience, but this cruise was more of a 55+ group. I hear that's fairly typical for Alaska. Given that, the Royal Caribbean ship is probably best suited for the younger ones as there would be more activites for them to enjoy if there aren't a lot of kids around. Plus, those are gorgeous ships that every adult will appreicate. If you can book Radience of the Seas, I'd do it. Tons of glass so that you'll be able to take in the view from anywhere on the ship. If I had a chance to do Alaska again, Radience would be my choice. And with such a varied group, I'd probably pass on the cruise tour. It's a lot of time stuck on a bus, that's why we decided against it. We like the active stuff. Would be happy to help with any other advice on excursions, etc.

For a first cruise to Alaska I always recommend an itinerary that includes Glacier Bay. The other glaciers are spectacular in their own right, but imho you can't do a Alaska cruise "trip of a lifetime" without going to Glacier Bay :eek:

Echoing what Budget Queen stated - I would recommend deciding what sights you want to see, what kind of itinerary you want (round trip vs. one way) and if you want to include a land tour first, and then worry about choosing a cruise line. For instance if you want to see Glacier Bay that will eliminate a few cruise lines from your list, if there is a certain port you want to see that will eliminate other options, etc.

In o1 we took HAL north from Vancouver to Seward in 7 days including Glacier Bay. Only missed Skagway. Then train to Denali for two days back to Anchorage and a rental car for two nights at a B & B in Homer.

Wonderful trip and highly recommend.

Now the 26 of July we are sailing from Seattle on the Amsterdam for two weeks. Make it to Skagway then around and up the Cook inlet to dock in Anchorage. Then down to Home and Kodiak island. Our final port of the two weeks will be Victoria then back to Seattle.

Looking forward to it with our DD, SIL and two grandsons.

In o1 we took HAL north from Vancouver to Seward in 7 days including Glacier Bay. Only missed Skagway. Then train to Denali for two days back to Anchorage and a rental car for two nights at a B & B in Homer.

Wonderful trip and highly recommend.

Now the 26 of July we are sailing from Seattle on the Amsterdam for two weeks. Make it to Skagway then around and up the Cook inlet to dock in Anchorage. Then down to Home and Kodiak island. Our final port of the two weeks will be Victoria then back to Seattle.

Looking forward to it with our DD, SIL and two grandsons.

It is a fabulous itinerary Also stopping at Sitka,Ketchikan and Juneau -While cruising both Hubbard and Glacier Bay.

We are on the June 14 cruise.Have you been to the Roll Call Board.There is a generalizrd post for all of our questions as well as specific cruise dates.

Hey Woodbine Mom, you have a lot of work a head of you but you will do it. We just booked May 29th Alaska Cruise/Tour on the Princess and I agree w/others. Choose what is important to see first, then the rest will follow. As far as the ship, I would recommend RCL. We went with 20+ friends ages 5 to 60 and there was something for every age group. Good Luck!

My wife and I flew to Alaska last year, RV'd for a week and then cruised south to Vancouver. We enjoyed the cruise a lot but are determined to return and spend the entire trip RVing! I urge you to spend some time away from the "touristy" areas. Don't know everything you have in mind but as an item on the bucket list, I advise you to do it up right. It was on our bucket list as well and we flew to Barrow where I joined the polar bear club jumping into the arctic, spent several days in Denali, etc. Alaska was awesome and you will not regret what you do...just what you didn't do:o.

Multi generational family planning my husbands 50th "bucket list" trip of a lifetime! We are taking a 14 year old girl, 17 year old girl, mom and dad 50, 49, and grandparents 70+. Have only done one other cruise to the carribean (Princess last year). I have done so much research that I am at a point where NOTHING is making sense anymore so hope all of you can help! The grandparents want lots of active activities (kayaking, hiking, ect). I need a good program for the kids (liked princess but they didn't have a tweens club so our 13 year old was very left out, 17 year old loved the cruise!). Unlimited budget (so to speak!) and aren't sure about cruise only or cruisetour (I wonder if we can handle more than 8 days away from home). Prob. are looking at RCL or Princess perhaps HAL (but know nothing about them on a recommended basis-have positive recoms. on the other two lines). Any helpful hints to keep my head from exploding!!!!!!!!

I guess I will put in a plug for the Carnival Spirit.

Beautiful ship:)

Lay out of the ship is great.

We were on her for a trip to Mexico, and never felt like we were crowded.

I believe she has a covered pool for Alaska sailings, for those who want to use it.

I have only heard great things about the Kids/Youth Clubs on Carnival, but I can not say from my own experience.

We went with a family group ages from 30's to 75ish

Our sailing this year is going to be on the Spirit again,

We are with a Cruise Critic Group going Sept. 7th, leaves out of Seattle, returns to Vanc. BC.

Best part and reason for picking this cruise, besides the good pricing...

this is the sailing that goes to Glacier Bay, along with Juneau, Skagway & Katchikan for the 7 day cruise.

Not to mention Vanc. BC and Seattle.

Click the button

price.gifit has lots of information.

Here is the link to the information for this Cruise Critic Group sailing...

in case you decided you want to come with the CC Group. Or take advantage of the Group, get the Amenities, and just do your own thing. It all works...

Archived