Constellation Full Crossing 1-3-2010

celem

2010-01-08 - Friday - Panama Canal full transit - West bound

Awoke about 6:30. in time to dress and watch us enter the first series of locks. The transit lasted most of the day with us exiting the Miraflores Locks around 3pm. The port side, including our balcony was nice, even in the afternoon but the starboard side or any area exposed to the sun was like being in the oven. The air temperature is 79 but the direct sun will bake you alive.

The heliport of the bow (deck 5) was open for passenger access. It was crowded but we were generally able to get a spot within a few minutes of arrival as some people got too hot and left.

The transit is very interesting, especially with our preparation with the seminars and with the nearly continuous commentary over the public address system. It is a slow process. I enjoyed Miroflores the most as I went to deck 5 where I was at the same level as the mules, which seemed so close that you could almost touch the lock walls next to the mule's rails and gear. See the attached photo and you will see how tight the squeeze was.

Today, we finally opened our bottle Concierge Class champagne. We had a pitcher of orange juice delivered and enjoyed mimosas all day.

IMG_0958.jpg.dec499e1b99224f24b0d30c9ed40eeb9.jpg

Archived