Cruising during Hurricane season

CRUISEMAMMA

You may be rerouted to different ports, or have no ports at all, if a hurricane occurs. You may feel a lot more movement of the ship, even if a hurricane isn't that close to you. The cruise could be canceled. Or there may not be a hurricane at all, and nothing changes.

Feel like rolling the dice? :D

We are considering the 5 day Eastern Caribbean on the Destiny for mid September. Just wanting some thoughts or experiences on Cruising in Peak Hurricane season. Is this a bad choice?:confused:

I sail during peak hurricane season every year and have yet to miss a port. I'm sure that at some time it will happen but not yet...

The worst weather I've ever sailed in was in November out of New York City!!!

:)

Host Mach is right on. I've also sailed many time during hurricane season and never had a problem. Just please don't come on the site and bitch about having to miss a port or OBC not being enough for you. I hate those post and the posters deserve the flaming they receive. See ya.;)

We cruised for the first time during hurricane season this past year and although it was an abnormally quiet season in the Atlantic, I would do it again. I had anxiety for weeks leading up to it but it wasn't as bad as I made it seem in my head.

We did get re-routed but we went into it knowing that might happen. We actually had better weather on that cruise than either of the ones we went on in May!

But again, this past season was my first time cruising during hurricane season so I'm not sure how much weight my experience holds!

OK, I have a question... Don't shoot...

But "IF" a cruise gets cancelled you get your money back right.....or credit for another cruise. I know if they miss a port you get an onboard credit....

Just wondered what would happen if the cruise could not sail....

OK, I have a question... Don't shoot...

But "IF" a cruise gets canceled you get your money back right.....or credit for another cruise. I know if they miss a port you get an onboard credit....

Just wondered what would happen if the cruise could not sail....

BANG:mad:. just kidding,:D they hardly ever cancel a cruise, have to be a real problem for them to cancel. They move the ship to another port and you have to get there, on your own, if you didn't book flight with Carnival or with trip insurance. If they had to cancel, I believe they just you credit for a future cruise.

We have taking 3 carnival cruise, one in June, two in July. Had some rough waters On one between Grand Cayman an Jamaica. Even then we had no complaints about anything other than when they made us get off the boat to go home, :) We are pretty laid baclk as far as cruises go. I can't imagine not enjoying any cruise we take even after seeing so many bad reviews. So you wont hear me bitching on here. Even if we get rerouted, even if we break down and have to float for 5 days. Bring on the DOD, I might have a complaint however if we are taking over by Pirates or sink! ;)

BANG:mad:. just kidding,:D they hardly ever cancel a cruise, have to be a real problem for them to cancel. They move the ship to another port and you have to get there, on your own, if you didn't book flight with Carnival or with trip insurance. If they had to cancel, I believe they just you credit for a future cruise.

OK, just to be sure....when you say they move the ship to another port and it is up to me to get there....if i didn't purchase insurance..

I would be sailing out of Galveston, Tx..so your saying that if they moved the ship to florida...or somewhere like that it would be up to me to get to Florida.....I better buy insurance....but not through carnival...too expensive...lol

I cruise mostly during hurrican season (best prices). I am slightly over 50% being rerouted to other ports. 3 out of 7 cruises for storm avoidance. And once because of the Swine flu scare for 4 out 7 cruises being rerouted for some reason or another. Don't care where the ship goes. I cruise for the sea time. Op: If it is important to you to go to a specific port, take a plane. Don't count on the boat getting you there.

Our cruise last Sept, 08, was cancelled due to Hurricane IKE and we were given a full refund. We were scheduled for the cruise out of NO several weeks earlier and they moved that cruise to Mobile, but, because of roads closed in LA, we couldn't get to Mobile and we were given the choice of taking the shortened cruise or a full refund. When I was given that refund, I thought there is no way it would happen a second time and booked the Ectasy out of Galveston. We knew IKE was out there, but, figure it would come ashore and we would be on our way to Galveston Monday morning. We were so wrong. We had cruised several times during Hurricane season and never had a problem until Sept 08. It is really just a roll of the dice. My advice to anyone cruising during Hurricane season is to be sure to buy the insurance.

We have been cruising each Cctober for the past 5 years out of Florida.

Have not had a problem other than changing itinerary due to hurricanes and at this point of our cruising career we go for the ship and generally not the itinerary.

If there is a must go to place on the cruise suggest you go a different time of the year.

Do like the pricing in October!

I cruise during hurricane season almost every year. A few times our itinerary was changed slightly--for instance, we went to Ocho Rios instead of Cozumel one year due to Hurricane Isadore. No big deal.

In September 2009, the weather was perfect every single day on our cruise. Our 2008 cruise on November 5th had perfect weather every single day also.

Only once, in 2004, due to Hurricane Jean hitting Ft. Lauderdale the day before our cruise was to depart, was our embarkation delayed. Port Everglades was closed and we embarked 2 days later. We received approximately a 30% refund of the cruise fare, and we didn't even have trip insurance. We didn't have to ask for the refund either--it was automatically credited back to my credit card.

We are planning another cruise for October this year.

We were on the Glory out of Port Canaveral Aug 31 08 and we had Ike, Hannah and Gustav all around us. We hit rough seas and they had to close the lido deck one night because water was spilling through the sliding doors and down through the atrium. It was way weird but I have to give it to the crew that they did a FANTASTIC job at moving activities inside and we had a blast at the red white and blue party. The capt went around the storms and we missed the bahamas which was fine with us. We got port fees and an OBC for the missed port. (Extra DOD) We still had an awesome time and the weather was great most of the time. We had a great balcony room and it was well worth the price! Go for it!

In four years (cruising in Sept and Oct) we've only missed Grand Cayman because of weather. Actually we've missed it twice -- yet to make it there. We've had two days of rough weather in four cruises. We did move our cruises to October from early September. We decided there were more hurricanes in early Sept than in October. No scientific proof, just an observation.

Jim

I have repeated this story so many times that even I am getting tired of seeing it but it might be worth it to you.

In 2005 I took my first cruise aboard the Conquest. When we left we had beautiful sunny weather with calm seas. This is what we had our entire cruise. On the second to last night at sea we were told that we would not be heading back to Galveston because Hurricane Rita closed their port. So we spent two extra days sea, had all the free phone calls back home, to our offices and, to the airlines for those needing to change flight plans. Costa Maya was kind enough to us to open their port to us and this was the best port our whole cruise. And I have to give Carnival credit in so much as they did not charge us any port fees or taxes for Costa Maya.

While I was worried about my house back home (I live in South Louisiana) I have to admit that this was one of the best cruises I have been on.

If a hurricane does happen trust your Captain. He knows what to do to keep all of his passengers, staff and crew members out of harm's way.

The only down side to this cruise was for the passengers coming onboard after us. Instead embarking on Sunday they came onboard Tuesday which meant their cruise was shorten and at least one port was missed.

I wish if anyone was on the cruise after us that they will respond in a post and let me know how their shorten cruise went.

Archived