Hand sanitizer stuff

blk1964

I did a little looking around today, and I found that the Purell hand gel does NOT kill the Norovirus, which is most likely what people might get on a cruise. BUT, theres a chemical that does, its called benzylkonium chloride. Germex Wipes in the round pop up container have it (but the single packs do not!) and theres some little spray version of it, called Soapopular that Walmart sells, but I couldnt find it. My issue was trying to find something with that in it that was small, portable and not over 3 oz since we are not checking bags on the plain. I got little 1.7 spray bottles of something called Kids Smooth and Silky Alcohol free hand sanitizer. Its a spray, but turns into a foam, apparently this benzyl whatever doesnt come in a gel. I found it at Target. So now I have the wipes, so I can wipe down things if I want, and the little spray bottles for hands. Im assuming whatever kinds of sanitizer wipes or pumps they have on teh ship are the kind that kill the noro, but in case anyone wanted to get some of this stuff, this is what I found.

I did a little looking around today, and I found that the Purell hand gel does NOT kill the Norovirus, which is most likely what people might get on a cruise. BUT, theres a chemical that does, its called benzylkonium chloride. Germex Wipes in the round pop up container have it (but the single packs do not!) and theres some little spray version of it, called Soapopular that Walmart sells, but I couldnt find it. My issue was trying to find something with that in it that was small, portable and not over 3 oz since we are not checking bags on the plain. I got little 1.7 spray bottles of something called Kids Smooth and Silky Alcohol free hand sanitizer. Its a spray, but turns into a foam, apparently this benzyl whatever doesnt come in a gel. I found it at Target. So now I have the wipes, so I can wipe down things if I want, and the little spray bottles for hands. Im assuming whatever kinds of sanitizer wipes or pumps they have on teh ship are the kind that kill the noro, but in case anyone wanted to get some of this stuff, this is what I found.

On the ship they have sprays, foams, wipes, you name it. I am sure they figured out that they have to kill Noro with it.

Glad to hear you found the stuff you needed to feel safe from Noro while onboard.

Enjoy your cruise.

Where did you get this information about Purell?

The CDCP disagrees. They recommend gel sanitizers with an ethanol content >=62% to combat Norovirus. Purell is 65%.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwR/PDF/wk/mm5633.pdf (page 845)

http://www.purell.com/page.jhtml?id=/purell/products/prd_hand_sanitizer.inc

Just going by a few things I read. The first is wikipedia, now I know anyone can edit that, but this article has some good cites and it says right in it that alcohol santizer gels are not very effective in combating Norovirus and the cite for that opinion is an article from the American Journal of infection control. Im not well versed enough to completely understand and debate it, but I did see several other links that specifically say benzylkonium chloride DOES kill noro, and most other things too, so I made the decision to go with that. Heres the link from wikipedia and a few others I found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_sanitizer

This link shows that GoJo, the company that makes Purell has now come out with a new non alcohol based product that is effective against Noro, since previous alcohol based products were not. If regular purell killed noro, why the need to come out with something different?

http://www.handwashingforlife.com/new_norovirus_alcohol_hand_sanitizer

The link below is admittedly a press release from a company who claims to make a product with benzylkonium chloride that DOES kill noro, but I would think they could not come right out and say that if it didnt really do it.

http://www.*****.org/10293424-alcoholfree-hand-sanitizer-proven-more-effective-than-alcohol-based-brands.pdf

This link below seems to be a fairly unbiased study done, and I fully admit I dont understand ALL the science, but it does suggest that strictly alcohol based hand gels are not that effective against noro.

http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/76/2/394

And lastly this link, again from a company that makes benzylkonium product, but it does cite actual studies. Alcohol based gels alone just dont seem to be effective enough in killing noro. Thats my opinion based on some pretty good research, not just internet sales sites.

http://www.log7tech.com/hand_sanit.php

I have to stand corrected on one part of my above post. the new stuff purell has come out with is still alcohol based, but they have added OTHER synergists to it to make it effective agaisnt noro. Sorry for the mistake.

I don't know what you paid for your wipes, but if you go to Amazon.com and search on BZK Dynarex you will see several options. One is for a box of 100 wipes for $2.25 (plus shipping).

You can probably get them at a local surgical supply store pretty inexpensively and not worry about shipping. These are common products that just about any surgical supply store and probably most drug stores carry.

They're about the same size as a handi-wipe, and are individually wrapped so it's easy to carry them with you wherever you go.

(I'm pretty sure these don't count as "liquid" when flying)

I don't know what you paid for your wipes, but if you go to Amazon.com and search on BZK Dynarex you will see several options. One is for a box of 100 wipes for $2.25 (plus shipping).

You can probably get them at a local surgical supply store pretty inexpensively and not worry about shipping. These are common products that just about any surgical supply store and probably most drug stores carry.

They're about the same size as a handi-wipe, and are individually wrapped so it's easy to carry them with you wherever you go.

(I'm pretty sure these don't count as "liquid" when flying)

I did see those, thanks for mentioning that, I wasnt sure if that was an option, but we do have a medical supply place around here, I might just pick up some.

Don't get too concerned with the whole Noro thing. We are cruising almost every month and we only wash our hands with soap and hot water. We also try not to put our hands near our face and have never gotten Noro, even when it was rampant on the ship.

Make sure you wash your hands and keep them away from your face.

All the stressing can cause you to get sick.

Enjoy your cruise and stop stressing so much.

I did see those, thanks for mentioning that, I wasnt sure if that was an option, but we do have a medical supply place around here, I might just pick up some.

Really not much need to take your own. They are readily available for free on the ship!

Someone with common sense. I was going to post something similar. Folks are soooo stressed about noro and piggy flu. Wash... Too many anti-bacterials leads to super-germs.

Don't get too concerned with the whole Noro thing. We are cruising almost every month and we only wash our hands with soap and hot water. We also try not to put our hands near our face and have never gotten Noro, even when it was rampant on the ship.

Make sure you wash your hands and keep them away from your face.

All the stressing can cause you to get sick.

Enjoy your cruise and stop stressing so much.

I have to agree with the don't stress it. When you go to the DR do they use soap and water or antibac gel? I have only seen them use soap and water and goodness knows what they are exposed to. Good old common sense is the best defense against sickness.

True, about the common sense, no question. And rereading my posts, I know I sound like a freak. Really Im NOT LOL...I just got a little too into the research. In my every day life, if I get a germ, or get sick, so what? But on this particular four days, I dont want to spend it in my cabin hurling (or cleaning up after someone who hurls).

I promise, Ill stop now LOL...Ill go back to haunting Youtube to watch videos of the awesome ship Im going on!

• 2 weeks later...

Just about every cruise ship operator douses its passengers with alcohol whenever boarding a ship, and often, when leaving the ship.

Alcohol kills bacteria on contact. Alcohol has limited effect i.e. "non-enveloped viruses" ..which is what Norovirus is.

Purell claims that its 'cruise ship formula", which contains 70% alcohol, (15% more than its standard product), is effective against norovirus. Many infection control experts would challenge that claim, and several, including QWEST Diagnostics would suggest that iodine or bleach are the only compounds that might be effective on the skin in effort to kill norovirus.

this link supports the QWEST position: http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0195670107004392

Benzalkonium Chloride--the active ingredient in many non-alcohol hand sanitizers (Soapopular, Hy5, HandClens and others) has been researched extensively--and is widely-accepted to be a successful alternative to alcohol-based products with regard to a broad spectrum of pathogens, including non-enveloped viruses. That said..

1. makers of hand sanitizer products are regulated by the FDA, and are prohibited from making specific claims about specific pathogen kill.

2. Despite this rule, there is actually one maker of non-alcohol sanitizer that flouts the FDA and claims that its non-alcohol sanitizer is effective against Norovirus. The brand is called "Dephyze"; and if this company has no regard for complying with regulatory agencies that govern its product category, logic would suggest that one should be wary of the claims that its making.

3. Vigorous washing with appropriate soap is always the smartest approach. When it comes to choosing between alcohol and non-alcohol hand sanitizers, those that have researched the two formulas are voting with their hands--in favor of non-alcohol products. The previous post indicated it was hard to locate the "Soapopular" product in retail stores; but the product is readily available via the Web--Amazon.com, Walmart.com, Officemax.com and others--as well as at http://www.soapyusa.com ..

Archived