Cruise tour vs Driving

pma19

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone give me suggestions on driving in Alaska, we disembark in Whittier and would like to visit Denali Park, Mt. Mckinley...and then head back towards Seward and Anchorage before we fly back to Vancouver. Not sure how to piece it all together and wondering if the drive on our own is easy and safe.

(We have booked a 4night cruise tour with Princess but Budget Queen has brought up some good points and I am reconsidering doing the tour) Just to let you know I am able to still cancel the tour part...2 adults and 3 teenagers.

Thanks in advance:)

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone give me suggestions on driving in Alaska, we disembark in Whittier and would like to visit Denali Park, Mt. Mckinley...and then head back towards Seward and Anchorage before we fly back to Vancouver. Not sure how to piece it all together and wondering if the drive on our own is easy and safe.

(We have booked a 4night cruise tour with Princess but Budget Queen has brought up some good points and I am reconsidering doing the tour) Just to let you know I am able to still cancel the tour part...2 adults and 3 teenagers.

Thanks in advance:)

All the places you plan to visit here in Alaska are on major highways. Sometimes 2 lanes, sometimes 4. Really not hard to get around this State at all. To get to Denali Park (there is a State and a National. The National Park has McKinley in it) you go north on the Glenn Highway out of Anchorage until about 50 miles later you'll take a left and go west on the Parks until you reach Denali. Both the State Park and the National Park are right off the highway.

Then to go to Seward, you go south on the Seward Highway from Anchorage and 125 miles later the highway runs out right in Seward.

In regards to safety, that's all relative. It's as safe as the other drivers but that's the same anywhere you travel.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Thank you for your quick reply...forgive me if I sound foolish but what I mean by safety is... Are there lots of rest stops along the way?...for some reason I have this vision of isolation and wild animals. lol

Thank you for your quick reply...forgive me if I sound foolish but what I mean by safety is... Are there lots of rest stops along the way?...for some reason I have this vision of isolation and wild animals. lol

We don't have the rest stops alot of the major highways do in the Lower 48, but we do have lots of scenic pullouts and there are areas that will have potties if you need them. Though they may be of the outhouse variety. Either a johnny on the spot, or the ones that are permanently built but they have to pumped out as there are no sewer systems.

Drive these roads alot and you won't have any problems on them and there are even signs occasionally warning of moose in the areas (sort of like the deer signs you see). It's just like any state that has wildlife you just have to be cautious of your surroundings, though trust me they don't want to be on the road at the same anymore then you do :eek:

Susan in Anchorage :)

I have driven all the major Alaska roads. Simple. :) If I didn't already, I suggest you try and get from your library THE MILEPOST. Read the Parks Highway, and it will give you an idea of what's on the road. It's a necessary reference in my opinion.

With your group, I also recommend a RV. It's the only place in all my travels that I have rented one. Works out great, especially with that handy food area and bathroom- especially with your group. :)

Archived