Unhappy with Itinerary Changes

MVPinBoynton

First Azamara changes our departure time from Singapore from 1:00PM to 10:00AM. Since Bangkok is our next port, I thought this could be good because we could get to Bangkok 3 hours earlier. But the arrival time stayed at 2:00PM.

Then today we get a notice that the Bangkok departure time was moved back 2 hours from 4:00PM to 2:00PM. There is no arrival time change for our next port Ho Chi Minh City.

I am really disappointed that the time in Bangkok has been cut shorter. This was a port I really wanted to do a lot of serious touring in. I also feel sorry for people that are arriving the day of the cruise and won't be to tour Singapore the next day. I would like to know why these changes were made. It sure doesn't fit in with Azamara's philosophy of more port time.

Thanks for the heads up on this. This will certainly change our plans for Bangkok. It seems so unfair to make changes this close to the sailing. We will probably have to change our plan to visit the floating market and ensure we have time to visit the Palace, as we arrive just before it closes at 3:30 the previous afternoon.

I would guess that Azamara by leaving Singapore and Bangkok earlier are allowing themselves to sail slower and save on fuel. At least they haven't changed the departure time from Hanoi yet (!) as they have shortened it by 2 hours for next year itineraries.

I would like to know why these changes were made. It sure doesn't fit in with Azamara's philosophy of more port time.

I have no knowledge of why these changes have been made but I do know that these type of changes made last winter were due to the tides and currents and were unavoidable. It was clear from our discussions with the captain on our Singapore to Athens cruise at the end of the season that there was no way they would have made the changes if they didn't have to.

On our recent trip from Athens to Singapore, there were several occasions when tides and currents caused late arrivals into port, despite the best efforts of the Captain and crew. I suspect that this experience caused Captain Carrlson to make advance allowance for expected tides or currents on your journey from Singapore.

Nevernever

I have no knowledge of why these changes have been made but I do know that these type of changes made last winter were due to the tides and currents and were unavoidable. It was clear from our discussions with the captain on our Singapore to Athens cruise at the end of the season that there was no way they would have made the changes if they didn't have to.

You are probably right and they want to make sure that we arrive on time, since that is usually more important than when we have to leave. I will just have to use our time more wisely.

First Azamara changes our departure time from Singapore from 1:00PM to 10:00AM. Since Bangkok is our next port, I thought this could be good because we could get to Bangkok 3 hours earlier. But the arrival time stayed at 2:00PM.

Then today we get a notice that the Bangkok departure time was moved back 2 hours from 4:00PM to 2:00PM. There is no arrival time change for our next port Ho Chi Minh City.

I am really disappointed that the time in Bangkok has been cut shorter. This was a port I really wanted to do a lot of serious touring in. I also feel sorry for people that are arriving the day of the cruise and won't be to tour Singapore the next day. I would like to know why these changes were made. It sure doesn't fit in with Azamara's philosophy of more port time.

Exactly how much time do you have in Bangkok now? Is it one night or 2?

We are on the cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore and one of the deciding factors on that itinerary was that we had two nights in Bangkok so no matter how late we arrive (we are actually arriving from Siem Reap) or early we depart on the "3rd" day, we still have one full day in Bangkok. So, this way we could go to Kanchanburi which is approx 3 hours each way.

Exactly how much time do you have in Bangkok now? Is it one night or 2?

We are on the cruise from Hong Kong to Singapore and one of the deciding factors on that itinerary was that we had two nights in Bangkok so no matter how late we arrive (we are actually arriving from Siem Reap) or early we depart on the "3rd" day, we still have one full day in Bangkok. So, this way we could go to Kanchanburi which is approx 3 hours each way.

We will now be there 24 hours from 2:00PM till 2:00PM. When I was originally weighing which of the two itineraries to go on, the longer time in Bangkok was on your itinerary was really appealing. But I also wanted to go to Halong Bay and didn't want to go to Sihanoukville. Oh well, I am sure we will have a wonderful cruise anyway and hopefully yours is also.

Archived