Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala - anyone been on the Ak'tenamit & Livingston Town

talentscout16

Maybe a trip down the river would be more to your liking. We did the trip to Livingston (arranged it on our own) and it was quite an adventure. It is a good 40-45 minutes to Livingston by small boat. There is a tour offered by the ship I am sure, but we took the opportunity to hire a local and it was quite an adventure.

There is not a whole lot to see in Livingston--it is not a real "tourist" area. At least it was not when we were there. We just walked around (with a person who attached himself to us). As boring as it sounds we enjoyed the day. If we ever get there again we will do the trip down the River Dolce??? Dulce???. Researching the river area on line we are sorry we missed it--it is beautiful. Have fun and be sure to catch some of the folk dancing that is presented in the large building by the ship.

Crystalsea

Maybe a trip down the river would be more to your liking. We did the trip to Livingston (arranged it on our own) and it was quite an adventure. It is a good 40-45 minutes to Livingston by small boat. There is a tour offered by the ship I am sure, but we took the opportunity to hire a local and it was quite an adventure.

There is not a whole lot to see in Livingston--it is not a real "tourist" area. At least it was not when we were there. We just walked around (with a person who attached himself to us). As boring as it sounds we enjoyed the day. If we ever get there again we will do the trip down the River Dolce??? Dulce???. Researching the river area on line we are sorry we missed it--it is beautiful. Have fun and be sure to catch some of the folk dancing that is presented in the large building by the ship.

Crystalsea

Just wondering how you booked the tour ?

Crystalsea

who did you book with?

do you have any contact info?

pricing info?

how about safety issues - we are 2 women traveling alone

tx

talent

we looked at cruise line and seached locals following advice from those on cruise critic

I would hook up with a group

There were four of us traveling together. Myself, husband, son & wife. When you get off of the ship at Santo Tomas there are many "locals" with signs advertising their prices for a trip (by small boat) over to Livingston and the River. We just shopped around for the best price.

I am not so sure it would be a good idea to do this just being two women traveling alone. I would want to go with others for sure.

We felt very much like we were being taken to a very remote place. Imagine my surprise when we walked a few feet into town and were met by a "local" who not only was educated at Berkley, but wanted to talk to me about American politics!!! It was quite the unexpected.

Do a quick search on these boards for private tours of Livingston and also google. As I mentioned--we did not plan ahead, just arranged when we got there.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived