Is this debarkation scenario possible?

Tquinn1

Facts:

-2 of us traveling on FOS

-Carrying 1 large duffle/checked bag & 2 carry ons

-Want to do self-debarkation

-Have late flight, picking up rental car at Budget near port at 10:00 a.m. for the day

-Would like to have leisurely breakfast, be off ship by 9:00 a.m. and be in budget shuttle line by 9:30 a.m.

Is this scenario reasonable and very doable???

Thanks for any thoughts!

Thanks to everyone for your input. I originally thought self-debarkation may be the way to go but I am definitely getting the feeling may be not the best option? I have never been "the leader" on a cruise before so never found myself overwhelmed with details. However, I seem to recall it was rather chaotic in the luggage pickup "arena"...am I worrying for nothing?

DH and I always try to carry off our luggage. Too many times have we met delays due to relying on the cruise line to take our luggage off.

We've had luggage come out on the wrong carousel a couple of times. And, there's been a couple occasions where someone picked up one of our bags from the "color tag" group and when they realized it, left it where they were rather than put it back. Both those situations could add a couple of hours to your disembarkation. If you can carry off, you always know where to find your luggage.

And of course, there's never that embarrassing moment the cruise directors warn about of packing all your clothes and getting off in your pj's.

And, there's been a couple occasions where someone picked up one of our bags from the "color tag" group and when they realized it, left it where they were rather than put it back.

quote]

You can avoid this by making your luggage distinctive. I use a bright-colored strap (usually lime green) around my bags. I've even started painting designs on them with acrylic paints - nobody is getting my bags by accident. ;)

If you carry your own luggage off then you can get off any time that you desire. You do not have to go at the time self disembarkation is done. Just keep your luggage with you, have you breakfast and when you are ready head off the ship. I do it all the time as I do not like to waste any time on my last night packing so I do it in the morning and then take off my own luggage at my leisure.:)

Just remember, a lot of times they want you out of the cabin before you decide to leave the ship. With all the luggage, you will have to drag it along.

Since you are in no real rush, why do that? Also, they are trying to get all self assist out early, since others do not like to be knocked about with the luggage. If you decide to self assist and get off later, there is nothing they can do but hold you up if they really wanted to....but it had not ever happened to us .... I would talk to your cabin steward and if he allows you to leave the stuff there until later, then do as you wish. Getting off when your color is called is rather easy too. Just a bit of planning the night before. Luggage needs to be out by 1 am the night before. WE live near one another...Email me and let me know of your future cruise plans...would be great to go as a group...

Archived