NCL Gem Venice - shuttles?

Freckles_51

I realize that the Gem hasn't started their Venice itin. yet, but wondered if anyone has information regarding shuttles. We have booked NCL shuttle to the airport after the cruise, however, pre-cruise we are staying in Venice near Piazzale Roma.

From the Venice Cruise Port web site:

SERVICES FOR CRUISE PASSENGERS

SHUTTLE BUS TO/FROM MARITTIMA (CRUISE TERMINALS) - P.LE ROMA

Operating when ships are embarking and disembarking cruise passengers on Monday, Saturday and Sunday: every 15/20 minutes. The service is provided exclusively on Cruise Operators' request. For further information please contact the Cruise Operators.

Has anyone contacted NCL on this, or shall I be first ;)

I realize that the Gem hasn't started their Venice itin. yet, but wondered if anyone has information regarding shuttles. We have booked NCL shuttle to the airport after the cruise, however, pre-cruise we are staying in Venice near Piazzale Roma.

From the Venice Cruise Port web site:

SERVICES FOR CRUISE PASSENGERS

SHUTTLE BUS TO/FROM MARITTIMA (CRUISE TERMINALS) - P.LE ROMA

Operating when ships are embarking and disembarking cruise passengers on Monday, Saturday and Sunday: every 15/20 minutes. The service is provided exclusively on Cruise Operators' request. For further information please contact the Cruise Operators.

Has anyone contacted NCL on this, or shall I be first ;)

I would highly recomend taking the ATVO bus from the airport which actually drops you off at the Piazzale Roma. http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35 I used it the last time I was in Venice (not on a cruise) and I found it to be cheap, efficent, and the buses were nice and clean. As you can see by the Map below the Cruise Ship terminal and the Piazzale Roma are right next to each other so it should be very easy for you to walk to the terminal and your hotel.

piantina_venezia.jpg

Anyone know how much NCL are charging per person for Gem to Marco Polo airport shuttle. And how much for a taxi transfer.

NCL shuttles tend to leave at the crack of dawn so on recent cruises we have taken the option of keeping our luggage in our cabin and then walking off when it suited us.

I would highly recomend taking the ATVO bus from the airport which actually drops you off at the Piazzale Roma. http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en&area=23&menuid=35 I used it the last time I was in Venice (not on a cruise) and I found it to be cheap, efficent, and the buses were nice and clean. As you can see by the Map below the Cruise Ship terminal and the Piazzale Roma are right next to each other so it should be very easy for you to walk to the terminal and your hotel.

Thank you ashelsi, yes we intend to take the ATVO from airport to Piazzale Roma, but not sure that we want to drag suitcases along roads, up and down steps and over bridges. Google satellite shows construction on some open land as you approach the cruise terminal - assuming that's where the people mover is going?

Anyone know how much NCL are charging per person for Gem to Marco Polo airport shuttle

$30 US

Here is some more info I found on another helpful website http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-cruise-terminal.htm

That had the following information:

Venice Cruise Terminal

Page 2

Continued from Page 1

plan_v_cruise_terminal_2_ships.jpg

ABOVE: The Silver Whisper (left) and Golden Princess are moored at Marittima. (This view is from the Giudecca Canal near the San Basilio quay.)

Also see: Hotels near Marittima (Piazzale Roma)

Marittima Basin

Marittima is the largest of the ship basins at the Port of Venice's Venezia Terminal Passeggeri, with two terminal buildings and enough docking space to handle several large ships at once. It's within walking distance of the Piazzale Roma, the main car, taxi, and bus gateway to the historic center. Here's how to reach Marittima:

From the airport:

Marittima is a 15- or 20-minute cab ride from Venice's Marco Polo Airport. The fare is likely to be in the €30-40 range.

Other options include an airport bus to the Piazzale Roma, followed by a taxi or bus ride (see below), or a water taxi, which takes about an hour from the airport but offers a scenic ride. (Water taxis are very expensive--figure €80-100, depending on how many people and suitcases are on board--but the cost becomes more reasonable if it's split among half a dozen passengers.)

From the Piazzale Roma:

Marittima is only a couple of minutes from the Piazzale Roma by taxi. A free shuttle bus normally runs on Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays during the cruise season, or you can ride the #6 bus to the port entrance. (Buy your ticket in the ACTV office in the Piazzale Roma.)

You can walk to Marittima from the Piazzale Roma in 10 to 15 minutes. Just follow the road that leads to the causeway and turn left at the port entrance after you cross the railroad tracks.

From the Piazza San Marco:

Alilaguna runs a BLU Line express boat service between the Piazza San Marco and Marittima about once an hour during the daytime in the cruise season. The trip takes 20 minutes.

Alternatively, you can take a water bus to the Piazzale Roma and proceed from there by taxi, bus, or on foot if you aren't traveling with too much luggage. The No. 2 express boat is quickest; the No. 1 vaporetto down the Grand Canal is handy if you've been staying near one of the intermediate stops. See our vaporetto routes article for more information.

Cruise lines sometimes provide free shuttle boats between Marittima and San Marco, either at the beginning and end of a cruise or during port calls in Venice. Ask your cruise line if a shuttle is available.

You will be there before me, please come back and let me know if you have time.

Thanks

Sure, we are on the first sailing of the Gem from Venice. Check out our Roll Call for 4/24. We have a lot of information on both the board and on a web site that we created. A bunch of us are doing a lot of research and posting details.

K

Sure, we are on the first sailing of the Gem from Venice. Check out our Roll Call for 4/24. We have a lot of information on both the board and on a web site that we created. A bunch of us are doing a lot of research and posting details.

K

Can you post the link to your website (if it is public)? I'm trying to put something together for our July cruise but haven't found much time to put it together yet!:o

Can you post the link to your website (if it is public)? I'm trying to put something together for our July cruise but haven't found much time to put it together yet!:o

Hello,

Our Roll Call isnt posting the web site outside of our Roll Call, but if you go to the 4/24 Gem Roll Call, it is pretty easy to find. My email address is over there too. There is a group on the Roll Call that has been planning for about a year.

K

Here is some more info I found on another helpful website http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/...e-terminal.htm

Thanks ashelsi, I came across that web site just yesterday :)

K

Thanks! I'll check it out :)

Archived