First Time Crusier

Elavie

My entire family is going on a cruise this summer, the one to Bermuda, and I had a couple of questions, at least to start. First, for teenagers, and those 18-20, how do they handle the formal dress rules? Such as for a fourteen year old boy, or a 17 year old girl? And do the televisions in the rooms get only basic channels, like PBS, or NBC or more than just a few, like HGTV, or even HBO?

Younger boys have looked good at formal dinner nights in just a white shirt and tie, if they don't yet have a "requisite" and highly serviceable blue blazer. (That they outgrow the next year)

Luckily younger girls can look good is just about anything. (!) There are so many cute, summer type and easy to pack dresses for younger girls out there that are pretty simple. I believe modestly priced Forever 21 has a lot of cute dresses or Target for younger customers.

Some resale shops have prom type dresses and even today's bridesmaid dresses that are a lot more stylish than the hoops, lace and one-time wear taffeta horrors, as they were in the past. Maybe this is something that can be borrowed.

TV is quite different at sea that it is in your home. Your kids should be warned they will NOT be able to see the new episodes of their favourite shows.

IME, you will get a couple movie channels: one "classic" (older) films; the other will have the same films being shown in the ship's cinema.

News will be CNN International

There will be closed circuit ship channels (View From the Bridge, also rebroadcast of ship lectures, etc.)

There is usually one channel which has a few episodes of an assortment of TV shows, but not the ones currently airing.

I'm sure someone posting after me will correct or expand.

The blue blazer for your son would fit the bill completely. The previous posters have given you information on the TV lineup, but remember that all HAL cabins have a DVD player, so have them bring a few movies they may want to watch. Finally the cabin flat screen TVs are not HD, are probably about 13", and the DVD player is standard not blue-ray.

Archived