gown packing question

sailorwife

I am taking a long gown for formal night and would like some ideas on how to pack it, it is semi full and I am not a small gal, size 20, I only want to take a wheeled garment bag and a 25 inch suitcase, so I need some advise please.:confused:

sailorwife:)

PS I am also taking DH, but he is easy to pack for,

What's the fabric and the silhouette?

it is 100% polyester, strapless with a fitted bodice and A line as it goes to the floor with a lining and just below the knee to the floor is netting or crinoline(sp)

it is a beautiful gown,

sailorwife(Joan)

Easy....hang in a dry cleaner bag and put in the suitcase the last thing...fold over more than once if necessary. When you get to your stateroom, hang it and it should be free of wrinkles. Works like a charm! IF you want, you can hang it in the bathroom and the steam from showering will help any garment. I take DH suit and all my dresses in separate bags and they are usually wrinkle free.

Have a great time!

I learned a method here on CC several years ago and although I never again took a long gown, the method worked quite well.

Put a dry cleaner bag over an empty hanger, hang the dress (use safety pins if you have to secure it to the hanger) and place another dry cleaner bag over the top. Next, use a hanger that has the "sticky" cardboard dry cleaners use for pants, fold a dry cleaner bag over the center of the cardboard, leaving a bit of the "sticky to hold the skirt portion in place. hang only the skirt portion over the dry cleaner bag (think of the whole thing looking lik a capitol M without the first l line, kind of like a V with an extra leg...make any sense :confused::)). Hang another dry cleaner bag over the top of the skirt portion.

So, there will be a dry cleaner bag inside and over the top portion and the skirt portion of the dress, far less wrinkles can happen.

Now, hang it all in the garment section of your suitcase, into a garment bag or folding the top of the hangers down, onto the top of everything else in your suitcase.

I also use this method (dry cleaner bag inside and over) for garments that wrinkle easier than others.

I just wanted to add that if the garment bag is narrower than the skirt of your gown, you might want to fold the sides in over tissue first. You can also lay it flat in your suitcase, add some clothing on top, fold it over, add more clothing, fold again... You really want to avoid hard folds without something in between...garment bag, tissue or other fabric...and you want to avoid movement.

I am taking a long gown for formal night and would like some ideas on how to pack it, it is semi full and I am not a small gal, size 20, I only want to take a wheeled garment bag and a 25 inch suitcase, so I need some advise please.:confused:

sailorwife:)

PS I am also taking DH, but he is easy to pack for,

I have nothing helpful to add beyond the excellent tips already offered. I merely wanted to say that when I first read this, I thought you said your husband was easy to pack -- I was trying to envision how you fit him into a 25-inch suitcase . . .

I have nothing helpful to add beyond the excellent tips already offered. I merely wanted to say that when I first read this, I thought you said your husband was easy to pack -- I was trying to envision how you fit him into a 25-inch suitcase . . .

that is funny , at 6 feet I would really have to fold him and use a lot of tissue(HA!HA!):D

Thanks Everyone for your help, it is just to pretty a gown not to take !

sailorwife(Joan):)

I never have anything dry cleaned...how could I get my hands on something similar?

Go to a dry cleaners and ask if you can buy some dry cleaner bags. Sometimes they sell them for .10-.15 cents each, sometimes they will just give them to you.

My brother in law has all his clothes cleaned, so we just ask him to save them for us a few weeks before we travel. I do recycle them as well if I can, using them at least twice.

Another way is to save the bag that are placed over dresses when you buy them. Especially the longer dresses, I fold those bags and stash them under my bed.

Go to a dry cleaners and ask if you can buy some dry cleaner bags. Sometimes they sell them for .10-.15 cents each, sometimes they will just give them to you.

My brother in law has all his clothes cleaned, so we just ask him to save them for us a few weeks before we travel. I do recycle them as well if I can, using them at least twice.

Another way is to save the bag that are placed over dresses when you buy them. Especially the longer dresses, I fold those bags and stash them under my bed.

Great, thank you! I think I will stop by and ask them!

Archived