Questions about Silver Whisper

Caroldoll

We are anticipating a cruise to Montreal/New York on the Silver Whisper. I see that there are very few reviews on this ship. I would very much appreciate any viewpoints, suggestions or comments on this ship. Thank you so much in advance.

WE are also planning this cruise, leaving 9-24. I would like some feedback on the weather - the likelihood of rough weather, and rain. I know it varies, but would appreciate hearing from others who have taken this trip. If there is a good chance of rough weather, then we may opt instead for a Tauck tour of Montreal, Quebec, and other cities for the same length of time.

We have done two cruises to Canada and new England , one in 2007 and the other in 2009.

Both were done in mid October.

On both we missed port due to weather. This past year we left from New York and it was very rough the first night and we had to pass Newport due to bad seas and high winds.

Both trips totaled 24 days and we only had two bad days . We enjoyed both trips and especially enjoyed an over night stop in Qubec City.

We will be boarding the Whisper on Oct 14 in New York when if finishes the Canadian cruise.

ago, and it was very smooth. I think this date is good. My TA went last year and her whole cruise was rough--but it was later.

What I want are comments on Silver Whisper and how people liked it.

We went on Crystal.

My husband gets seasick looking at the toilet bowl!!! LOL

He has something new that really works

Stugeron

You get it on line from UK and we get it fro Mistrys Health Options. It isn't expensive, but get two boxes as there aren't many in a box. You can use Pay Pal. We are booked on the same cruise.

ago, and it was very smooth. I think this date is good. My TA went last year and her whole cruise was rough--but it was later.

What I want are comments on Silver Whisper and how people liked it.

We went on Crystal.

While I have not been on the Whisper, I was on the Wind, and my feeling was nothing was wrong and nothing special either. So I have booked for a Crystal New England/Canada cruise this Sept. and hope it will be a better experience.

I was on the Whisper a year ago and loved it. Going again in a few months, too.

The ship is very welcoming -- I'm somewhat new to luxury cruising and did not feel any bit of "stuffiness". Staff are friendly, but not disrespectfully familiar; they learn your name ("Good evening Mrs. Ferret", never "Hiya, The!") and learn your preferences and will move the earth to please you.

We prefer the Whisper to the Cloud because the bathrooms are larger, there are two sinks and the shower is separate from the bathtub. Also the Humidor/Smoking Room is a lot larger.

The shore excursions are first class and the busses are never packed with passengers -- there is always room to spread out. On one excursion in Norway on the Cloud, the bus WAS full (one of the busses they ordered didn't show up) and the Tour Manager refunded everybody the entire cost of the excursion. His explanation was that "this is not the way Silversea runs things; a packed bus is unacceptable". We were impressed!

I most definitely recommend Silversea and the Silver Whisper! Hope this helped a bit and feel free to ask questions.

Scandun, keep in mind the difference between these two ships. The Wind was the second in the fleet - launched in 1996, and holds 296 pax, crew of 212, 16-8 tons. The Whisper is the latest ship (prior to the Spirit), launched in 2001 with 382 pax capacity, 290 crew, 28-2 tons. Quite a bit more ship than the Wind. While we haven't sailed the Whisper since 2002, we did take the Shadow last June for Alaska, which is the sister ship to the Whisper. Wonderful trip.

I can't imagine a more luxurious experience, although I have never been on a Crystal cruise. I believe the Crystal ships are bigger, and hold many more passengers. I prefer the smaller ships. More intimate experience. But, everyone's expectations and experiences are different.

Scandun, keep in mind the difference between these two ships. The Wind was the second in the fleet - launched in 1996, and holds 296 pax, crew of 212, 16-8 tons. The Whisper is the latest ship (prior to the Spirit), launched in 2001 with 382 pax capacity, 290 crew, 28-2 tons. Quite a bit more ship than the Wind. While we haven't sailed the Whisper since 2002, we did take the Shadow last June for Alaska, which is the sister ship to the Whisper. Wonderful trip.

I can't imagine a more luxurious experience, although I have never been on a Crystal cruise. I believe the Crystal ships are bigger, and hold many more passengers. I prefer the smaller ships. More intimate experience. But, everyone's expectations and experiences are different.

Sue, I agree the experience on Whisper/Shadow can be a step above the two smaller sisters, given the slightly larger cabin, more dining options, (?) etc. It was mainly the service that could have been more impressive on our Wind cruise. Our cruise director Colin Brown was very nice. Our room steward from the Philippines was excellent. The others, I do not recall that well. Anyway I am looking to go on an Alaska cruise in 2011, and the choice will be between Silversea, Regent and Crystal. I will make decision in Feb./March when the price from Regent and Crystal are out.

We are fresh off the Whisper 8 days ago. We took the 15 day trip from Auckland to Sydney and enjoyed the voyage. The ship is in very good condition & we're somewhat spoiled. There are always little things that could be critiqued, but all-in-all, we're happy. In the end, your happiness is a function of your our own attitude.

Our voyage was almost full & the wait staff had their hands full at 8 PM. The menu was somewhat limited as compared to previous SS cruises that we've taken. However, we found that the kitchen will make anything that you request, within reason. David, the head chef, is very accommodating & even modified the "galley" lunch & dinner to add one of our favorites that we missed earlier. Our regular waiter, Justin, could not have made our dining experience any better!

Summary : We will most likely cruise SS (the Whisper was just fine)on our next cruise.:):)'s

Archived