Skip one night on the ship and rejoin at the next port?

Red Hat Cruise Cat

Rather than spend MANY hours :(:( traveling from the ports of Civitavecchia and Livorno to see Rome and Florence, we would like to disembark in Civitavecchia take the train to Rome, spend all day in Rome then take the train to Florence, spend the night in Florence and rejoin the ship the following day in Livorno.

Is this possible?

Rather than spend MANY hours :(:( traveling from the ports of Civitavecchia and Livorno to see Rome and Florence, we would like to disembark in Civitavecchia take the train to Rome, spend all day in Rome then take the train to Florence, spend the night in Florence and rejoin the ship the following day in Livorno.

Is this possible?

We had people from our ship leaving in Malaga and getting on in Cadiz the next day. I guess they just told the purser desk and the security guy at the door, so they would not wait in vain for 2 missing souls. They told us in the car rental office that the ship said that was fine.

This may differ by cruise line, but Celebrity wants you to get permission in advance, and will send you an e-mail which you then show to the Purser's Office on board ship. Be aware the docking area in Livorno is a commercial freight port, not walkable to anything, although a cab from the train station should be able to get you to your ship.

Is this possible?

Like has been said before, check with your cruise line. Some allow it and some don't. Really depends upon the cruise line and cruise itinerary. On a positive note; I could not disagree with your plans. I'd probably opt to do the same thing.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I did this exact itinerary in reverse in the pre-9/11 world. Definitely check with your cruise line. It's very easy to do. I don't think you even have to travel to Rome Termini. I'm pretty sure the train from Civitavecchia goes up the coast to Livorno and then you can change trains to Florence. For all European time tables, check Deutshe Bahn (I know, sounds crazy, but they have all timetables). You can also go to the TrenItalia site and check the schedules.

Archived