Live Silversea Silver Wind Cape Town Jan. 23

harbormaster

Hello Chris and Sheila,

I noticed Blackpool UK

I remember attending a very nice cocktail party in your suite on a Celebrity Cruise (forgot which). Vance & Beryl Taylor are cruising Egypt now. They have a Silver Whisper in October New York to Barbados which we haven’t booked until the granddaughter’s homecoming situation is sorted.

I did a recent expedition- see link. But wife Jan didn’t want to go. Vance had some knee surgery.

Beautiful trip

http://cid-f6fe23a6e5a9ec3f.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/ANTARCTICA%20NOV.%2022-DEC.4%5EJ%202009

Thank you harbormaster for an excellent report. I have saved it for a possible future cruise.

Joe

Hello Joe and Jan

How nice to hear from You

The celebrity trip was New York-New York up to Canada and New England....I remember it well.

We are back on Silver Wind in 3 weeks time........We had planned also to be on the Whisper in October but are having to change due to work !!!

So glad you enjoyed Antarctica......its an amzing experience.

Hope Vance goes on ok after the surgery.

Chris and Sheila

Glad you enjoyed Antarctica

Harbormaster

We have just booked this same cruise for Feb 2011 - and your review has been a wonderful scene-setter with loads of useful information!

I have 3 questions that you might be able to help on:

1) Can I ask what was the cost of the ships excursions that you took?

2) Also I particularly love sailing into out of port - were there any ports aside from Cape Town that were spectacular must see's?

3) Do you know of anyone on board that took opportunity of the overnight in Richards Bay to tour Rorkes Drift (famous British battle). I have read that it is about a 3.5hr drive from Richards Bay... and I know my hubby would love to visit Rorkes Drift.

Many thanks for taking the time to post.

Linda :)

Harbormaster,

I too thank you for the reporting of your trip. We are booked on the same one but for Feb. 2011. Your detailed information is appreciated as we begin our planning for hotels along with the information regarding the ports.

This will be our first time on Silversea. We are thinking of adding on a week prior to the cruise but have not made a final decision.

Your dedicated reporting of your journey only whets our appetite for next year's trip. Again, thank you for taking the time to do so.

Hi DD@Sea - which sailing are you booked on? We are booked on the Feb 20th 2011 Cape Town round-trip.

This will be our second Silversea cruise and I have read of a sponsorship scheme on Silversea, where past and new cruisers benefit from onboard credits etc (but don't know too much about it), so if you are interested let me know and I will look into whether it applies. (assuming you are on the same sailing!) :)

My email address is: lobbylin-666@yahoo.co.uk

We loved our last cruise on the Silver Whisper, so I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Linda :)

Hi Linda: Glad to hear you've booked the South Africa cruise. We know you will enjoy it.

To answer your questions,

We particularly enjoyed sailing in and out of Cape Town, of course, but also the ports of Durban and Mossel Bay were really beautiful. Great to be up on deck when we sailed in. The new stadium in Durban, built for this year's World Cup was very visible and a part of the lovely skyline. (I have to add we were the only cruise of the 3 that did this itinerary that actually made Mossel Bay and it was a tender). One other interesting arrival was that of the pilot from Richards Bay, who dropped down onto the ship via helicopter. That arrival was fun to watch!

The cost of excursions we took varied from $79 to $179 (there were excursions that were $299 that were combination excursions such as HluHluwe/St Lucia, but we did them separately and it was less money to do it that way). Also the overnight to Phinda Game Reserve which we did not do, but others did, was $1,199.00 per person for noon to noon overnight.

Unless they change the Maputo excursions, people in general did not find them worth the money and you must pay a $23 pp Visa fee just to get off the ship.

At the other ports we definitely recommend the one day Addo Elephant Reserve (not the overnight) It, and Hluhluwe National Park were tremendous.

Also, it is possible to book excursions on your own. One resource is Hylton Ross (we used them in Cape Town for a private van and driver to Cape Point and Stellenbosch, and cannot say enough good about it). Because the ship did not have an excursion to Rorke's Drift, you could book one on your own. I'd google it and see what is available.

Have a great time!

Thanks harbormaster:)

Maybe Silversea might drop Maputo on the 2011 itineraries once they have had a chance to assess all the feedback from cruisers to this port. I don't think I would miss it from what I have read on CC and other travel websites.

Personally, I would prefer another overnight somewhere such as Durban to have time to enjoy more of what South Africa has to offer.

If you chose not to get off in Maputo did you still need to buy the visa?

I have already earmarked Hylton Ross for tours from Cape Town.

Can you tell how excited we are about this trip?:D

Thanks again, Linda

• 3 months later...

Harbourmaster thank you for the fabulous review and comments. We have just booked the Silver Wind for its Feb. 10, 2011 Mauritius to Cape Town cruise and your live report was a major factor in helping us to decide.

This will beour first Silversea and although we have been on Regent and Oceania this is a wee bit smaller and although we love sea days we do hope that our massive 4 days at sea will be filled with sun, relaxation and fun.

Of course after flying from Florida to Mauritius I suspect the first day will be spent trying to recooperate!

Thanks again for sharing your trip.

Archived