Extra $ for Seattle's Best Coffee & Ben & Jerry's

On Enchantment they had a Seattles Best stand, I think it was on deck 6. Not sure if Rhapsody has the same (they are similar ships), but on Enchantment they charged for all drinks, including regular coffee. If you wanted the free stuff you had to go to the Solarium Cafe.

Even if it's not available at the buffet, ice cream will probably be on the children's dessert menu in the dining room.

I'm a mean mom. I give my kids a generous allowance for vacations (whether it's cruise or non-cruise), and I give them plenty of opportunity to add to that generous amount through extra chores at home in the month or so before we leave. I explain ahead of time what THEY are supposed to pay for out of their own money, and what I will pay for out of family funds. For example, I'd pay for all excursions and meals on excursions; I'd expect them to pay for sodas by the pool, ice creams, video games, and souveniers. They think more when it's THEIR money!

I consider it real-world training. Most of us adults do not have unlimited budgets for little treats and luxuries -- why should we allow our children to grow up thinking that the world is like that?

Even if it's not available at the buffet, ice cream will probably be on the children's dessert menu in the dining room.

I'm a mean mom. I give my kids a generous allowance for vacations (whether it's cruise or non-cruise), and I give them plenty of opportunity to add to that generous amount through extra chores at home in the month or so before we leave. I explain ahead of time what THEY are supposed to pay for out of their own money, and what I will pay for out of family funds. For example, I'd pay for all excursions and meals on excursions; I'd expect them to pay for sodas by the pool, ice creams, video games, and souveniers. They think more when it's THEIR money!

I consider it real-world training. Most of us adults do not have unlimited budgets for little treats and luxuries -- why should we allow our children to grow up thinking that the world is like that?

You sound like a great mom! I'm sure your kids aren't the ones running around like little terrors on the ship either. THANK YOU. :)

MrsPete,

My kids are 17 & 18 and will be mostly spending their their own money from their part-time jobs. I guess I don't quite understand the sign and sail cards and since they are booked in their own room I assumed they would have their own cards--thought charging something to a card might be a little too easy. This is will go on our list of things to discuss pre-cruise.

Archived