Last day of cruise - what should we do here that will epitomise our Caribbean memory

jtsbusiness

We have not planned anything for our final touring day in the Caribbean.

Can anybody make recommendations as to what we should see/do that will give us long lasting memories of what we hope will be a fantastic cruise.

I really want this to be a very special day and we are told that Grand Caymen is a very special island.

Help please!

For an experience you will never forget, do the Stingray City excursion. It's an extremely popular excursion that includes some time snorkeling at a good snorkeling area, then a stop at a sandbar that is teeming with huge, wild (safe and friendly) stingrays. You can pet them, feed them, kiss them........(you heard me..............kiss them. Guaranteed to bring you good luck, they say). There are several reputable tour operators that offer this tour. We used Moby Dick, and had the best time ever. You can Google Moby Dick to find his website, and search these boards for tons of info on this experience. It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing. Book independently, on-line. You will have a less crowded tour, and cheaper than the ship's tour.

We just returned from a cruise on the Jewel of the Seas which had as it's last port before returning to Miami, Grand Cayman. My partner and I had taken jet ski/wave runner tours in Bermuda and Labadee, but they did not compare to the Wave Runner-Sting Ray tour with Fat Fish Adventures! We were met right in downtown Georgetown and taken to the launch site, about a 15 minute ride in an air conditioned van. Along the way, the driver pointed out several area sights and gave us a brief history of Grand Cayman.

After getting to the launch site and receiving life preservers and safety instruction, we headed slowly down a small canal toward the open water. Once we reached the open water, the guide, Neil, opened up his jet ski and took off over the water. Needless to say, the others in the group (6 people on 4 jets skis) took off also and we were soon racing to Star Fish Point. Once at the point, a beautiful beach with a nice sandbar, we saw live starfish in the natural habitant-very cool!

Our next stop was Sting Ray City! I will admit I was a bit intimidated when I got off my jet ski, as I could see the rays swarming toward me in the 4' deep crystal clear water. After a brief moment, I found the rays to be very friendly and seemed to enjoy rubbing up against humans. Neil showed us how to feed the rays and pick up the rays. He even showed us how to kiss the rays, however I opted not to do that. Neil was very instructive regarding the rays, their lifestyle, habitant, etc, and also instructed us how to determine male from female. Neil also had names for several of the rays and one ray seemed to be fond of Neil as she was always around him (I found that rather interesting that she would be able to determine who is who in the water).

Our next stop was along the barrier reef to do some snorkeling. After the snorkeling, we headed back to the launch site, about a 20 minute ride!

Neil was great, he allowed us to open up the skis and play around with them quite a bit, all the while keeping a careful eye on us. In all, the tour lasted the best part of 3 hours, with the majority of the time spent riding the skis!

Both my partner and I have been on jet ski excursions in the past, however this experience was the best!

Archived