Any Problem Carrying on Bags

Charliesmom

Is there a problem carrying on your own bags onto the ship?

We are thinking about taking carryon bags for the airline and then carrying the bags on the ship. It will be a lot simpler than bringing our big bags.

Thanks for your help.

Roberta

Is there a problem carrying on your own bags onto the ship?

We are thinking about taking carryon bags for the airline and then carrying the bags on the ship. It will be a lot simpler than bringing our big bags.

Thanks for your help.

Roberta

The bags have to be able to fit through the xray machine. The opening is 11x17..thats height and width..length is not an issue

This is from the carnival website

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Embarkation_Procedures.aspx

Guests will pass through the X-ray Security Machines with their carry-on bags. Luggage larger than 11"x 17" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter.

It shouldn't be a problem if they fit through the scanners as mentioned above. The porters may be a put out, but that's up to you if you want to do it. I wouldn't want to lug all of that aboard the ship, but that's just me. Go and have a good time! :)

I tried to carry our bags on when we were on the Destiny (San Juan). They wouldn't let me even after they went through the X-ray. They said it was for security reasons. We wanted to be able to change being we just flew in from a snow storm in Chicago. I argued with them a little (ticked my wife off) and then just let it go.

Good luck......

We were on the destiny 2/2004 and we carried ALL our bags on. We have been on 8 cruises and we have ALWAYS carried ALL our bags on. While the porters are a bit put out cuz they miss out on their tip, we have never had any other problem. Our bags were slightly bigger than the size rule, but they were soft sided and we pushed them through no problem, security didnt even bat an eye...

We prefer to carry our bags on becasue we always board early and go right to our room, we unpack before going to eat lunch, etc. We have never ever had a problem and don't intend to stop any time soon. We went on the Destiny and the Fascination in 2004 and had no security issues etc... HTH

As already stated, if they fir the xray machines, there is no problem, but unless you are talking about a 4 day cruise I do not see how you can get all you need into carry ons and we do travel light. The other concern is that much luggage can be a bit awkard thus holding others up at debarkation time. I say this cause I have seen it happen. Just my opinion. You will have to judge for yourselves. NMnita

We have taken several 7 day cruises and always carried our bags on with no problems. Basically you need to make 100% sure that you can carry the bags all the way to your cabin without holding everyone else up... we usually take a backpack with the important stuff like passport tickets ids and all that stuff which I wear on my back, then I take a smallish suitcase that has rolling wheels, my DH has another smallish suitcase with rolling wheels and the garment bag which hooks onto the suitcase.... we have never had a problem... we wouldn't do it if we couldnt handle carrying the stuff... or if we would hold up other people.. its never been a problem... don't forget you need to be able to lift the bags too, even if they roll, to go up steps etc...

I highly 100% recommend carrying your own bags on, but only if you can handle them ;)

Since they tell you to take your valuable items with you as well as your medications, what are you supposed to carry them in?

Jewelry, cameras, and meds go into my tote bag that I carry onto the ship.;)

One nice thing about driving to a port or flying in the day before is the ability to change the way items are packed. I have a long dufflebag that has wheels built into the back. It fits through the x-ray machines. It is much to large to use as a carry-on on a flight. We pack it after arriving at our hotel with swim wear, a casual change of clothing, my travel kit and my wife's makeup etc. All the things we might need in the event our luggage arrives after dinner. It has worked very well for us.

Archived