Chef's Table & Your Time Dining on Ecstasy

doe326

Just got back today from the Ecstasy 5 day cruise. Had great weather and a really good time.

The Ecstasy now has what is called the Chef's Table. It's a 2 1/2 hour dining experience. Seven courses are served along with wine. You sign up with the Maitre D' and they only take 12 people. You are met by the chef and given a tour of the galley where you have a pre-dinner cocktail party. Also are shown how they make the chocolate melting cake. Then you are taken to the library where a table has been set up. They seat the gentlemen first and their wife or significant other stands behind them and a picture is taken. The ladies are then seated. At each place there is a copy of the menu and your name card. Then the chef and his assistants start serving you the 7 course dinner. Wine is also served with dinner and your glass never gets empty! Dessert included the chocolate melting cake they prepared earlier.

It is a little pricey ($75 pp) but the food is fantastic and all the service is great. At the end of the evening the chef presents you with a cookbook and a copy of the picture taken earlier.

DH and I also tried the "Your Time Dining". It worked out really well for us. The last night on board was the only time we were given a beeper and had to wait about 15 minutes. Had great service from the wait staff and had very interesting tablemates. Loved the fact that we weren't tied into a specific time to eat. Would definitely do this again. Also noticed that some large groups (a talble of 10 across from us) were seated without too much trouble.

It was announced that the Ecstasy won the Crystal Eagle Award for the second year in a row. And their friendly staff and crew deserve it.

Will try to answer any of your questions.

Just got back today from the Ecstasy 5 day cruise. Had great weather and a really good time.

The Ecstasy now has what is called the Chef's Table. It's a 2 1/2 hour dining experience. Seven courses are served along with wine. You sign up with the Maitre D' and they only take 12 people. You are met by the chef and given a tour of the galley where you have a pre-dinner cocktail party. Also are shown how they make the chocolate melting cake. Then you are taken to the library where a table has been set up. They seat the gentlemen first and their wife or significant other stands behind them and a picture is taken. The ladies are then seated. At each place there is a copy of the menu and your name card. Then the chef and his assistants start serving you the 7 course dinner. Wine is also served with dinner and your glass never gets empty! Dessert included the chocolate melting cake they prepared earlier.

It is a little pricey ($75 pp) but the food is fantastic and all the service is great. At the end of the evening the chef presents you with a cookbook and a copy of the picture taken earlier.

DH and I also tried the "Your Time Dining". It worked out really well for us. The last night on board was the only time we were given a beeper and had to wait about 15 minutes. Had great service from the wait staff and had very interesting tablemates. Loved the fact that we weren't tied into a specific time to eat. Would definitely do this again. Also noticed that some large groups (a talble of 10 across from us) were seated without too much trouble.

It was announced that the Ecstasy won the Crystal Eagle Award for the second year in a row. And their friendly staff and crew deserve it.

Will try to answer any of your questions.

Did you have to pay extra for the picture or was it part of the $75?

What type of meall was it, like food type?! Sounds great I will be on her in May:)

The appetizers were Ahi Tuna, sot stickers and cheesecake. Then calamari, soup, chopped Mediterranean salad, grilled Chilean sea bass, aged Filet Mignon and dessert was a chef's surprise which was an almond flavored cake along with chocolate melting cake. The food was excellent and very well prepared. Worth every penny.

We were on the Jan 9 sailing of the Dream. Chef's Table is offered on her as well.

The Chef's Table is an evaluation program on the Dream and the Ecstasy...

I got this email from Steve Cassel on the Ecstasy this morning...

Hi Mach,

Yes we do! It's a pilot program on the Dream and Ecstasy and it's getting rave reviews so far. I'll send you the info after I do the Fun Ashore talk this morning.

Thanks,

Steve

Sounds brilliant!!!

:)

I'm looking forward to experiencing this on Carnival Dream in a few weeks.

One of my MDR tablemates on the 12/3/09 sailing did the Chef's Table event, and she loved it. The picture she was given of their dining group was also presented in a nice padded folio with a color picture of the ship. The copy of their menu was scrolled up with a ribbon, and included the recipes. Nicely done. :)

Do they have the Chef's Table on the Triumph yet?

Nope... I got this from the CD on the Ecstasy earlier today:

Hi Mach,

Yes we do! It's a pilot program on the Dream and Ecstasy and it's getting rave reviews so far. I'll send you the info after I do the Fun Ashore talk this morning.

Thanks,

Steve

One of my MDR tablemates on the 12/3/09 sailing did the Chef's Table event, and she loved it. The picture she was given of their dining group was also presented in a nice padded folio with a color picture of the ship. The copy of their menu was scrolled up with a ribbon, and included the recipes. Nicely done. :)

We also received the rolled up menu along with the padded folio. It truly is a dining experience. I think you'll really enjoy it. I hope they continue it on the Ecstasy and add it to all the other ships too. I think it would be a success. I know they do it fleetwide on Princess and it gets rave reviews there.

Hi Mach,

Thanks,

Steve

Sounds brilliant!!!

Mach,

If you hear from Steve again, please relay that my DH and I had a fantastic time at the Chef's Table and hope that they continue it on the Ecstasy. It was the best 2 1/2 hours of dining I've had in a long time. The chef and his staff's attention to detail and the quality of food and the presentation was really appreciated by our group on the Jan. 18 sailing. Thanks.

Hi Mach,

Thanks,

Steve

Sounds brilliant!!!

Might be worth thinking about!

Mach,

If you hear from Steve again, please relay that my DH and I had a fantastic time at the Chef's Table and hope that they continue it on the Ecstasy. It was the best 2 1/2 hours of dining I've had in a long time. The chef and his staff's attention to detail and the quality of food and the presentation was really appreciated by our group on the Jan. 18 sailing. Thanks.

I expect to hear from him this evening. I'll be glad to pass along the message.

Somehow we were oblivious to this option on that sailing... that won't happen again! Giving it a try on the sailing right after yours!!

Tom

John Heald posted some information regarding the Chef's Table on the Dream on his blog last night (LINK). WE WILL BE THERE!!

The menu looks very nice ... and, frankly given that and the $75 cover charge, I was surprised at the way a few of the (pictured) people were dressed. Granted, it is IN the kitchen, but my feeling is that we will dress at least as well as we do for a regular night in the MDR - AKA: no t-shirt, no sweatshirt with writing down the sleeve... (I don't put this in the same category as a mid-day tour of the galley)!! :rolleyes:

Tom

John Heald posted some information regarding the Chef's Table on the Dream on his blog last night (LINK). WE WILL BE THERE!!

The menu looks very nice ... and, frankly given that and the $75 cover charge, I was surprised at the way a few of the (pictured) people were dressed. Granted, it is IN the kitchen, but my feeling is that we will dress at least as well as we do for a regular night in the MDR - AKA: no t-shirt, no sweatshirt with writing down the sleeve... (I don't put this in the same category as a mid-day tour of the galley)!! :rolleyes:

Tom

I stand somewhat corrected... here is a reply I received though Carnival concerning the Chef's Table (specifically on the Dream):

Indeed the dress code is casual. Allow me to give you more info about it ....

High heel/open toe shoes are not recommended. Camera and recording devices are not allowed. The cost is $75 per person - that includes a 6-course dinner, unlimited red & white wine, bottled water & a group picture. There's a pre-dinner cocktail at 6:30 pm at the Sam's Piano Bar - that's the meeting point.

I was a little bummed that the new "Behind the Fun" tour did not allow cameras. It would appear that they are following that lead with this as well... perhaps they know that being back there during a peak time would provide too many opportunities for some unflattering photo to be snapped and spread onto the internet (picturing a waiter collision with food everywhere)!

Tom

Archived