Extra Luggage for Prescriptions

jtsbusiness

My father will need to take 3 large boxes of catheters to get him through his cruise. As this is the first time he has travelled since requiring these he is unsure as to how he should proceed.

Presumably he will need a note from his doctor, but does he need to contact Princess/Thomas Cook. Will he be able to take them all as hand luggage, or would he need a separate case to go in the hold:confused:

What happens if they get damaged in any way. Would he be able to get a prescription from the ship or a Caribbean island?

Please can anybody help as this is getting very confusing and he is unsure what to do. :eek:

My father will need to take 3 large boxes of catheters to get him through his cruise. As this is the first time he has travelled since requiring these he is unsure as to how he should proceed.

Presumably he will need a note from his doctor, but does he need to contact Princess/Thomas Cook. Will he be able to take them all as hand luggage, or would he need a separate case to go in the hold:confused:

What happens if they get damaged in any way. Would he be able to get a prescription from the ship or a Caribbean island?

Please can anybody help as this is getting very confusing and he is unsure what to do. :eek:

He should get a prescription from his doctor, just in case they are lost or broken or damaged. If that happened, he'd take the prescription to the ship infirmary, and while they probably wouldn't have a quantity there, they would be able to facilitate his getting the prescription filled, if necessary.

How large are "large boxes"? Generally individual medical supplies can be carried aboard an aircraft in addition to any other carry-on the passenger might have. So if he has the prescription from the doctor, he can pack them in a carry-on type case, and carry them and any other carry-on (the size would depend on the airline), with him on board.

He might want to inform Princess -- he'd contact the special needs department --in case he might need help from them with the process. Hopefully he won't need them -- he'll know how to manage this himself - -but if he does have any problems or gets an infection or something, it might be helpful for them to know in advance.

I can't tell you anything about how to handle this with an airline, but I know from experience that it won't make a bit of difference to the cruiseline. I do recommend you keep them (and all other medical necessities) with you until you can put them in your stateroom yourself. Luggage does get lost or misplaced or even left behind sometimes, and I wouldn't take a chance. Do not count on being able to find any particular size/style of catheter anywhere on your travels.

If your father is prone to UTI's, you might want to ask his doctor for a prescription for an antibiotic, and bring the antibiotic with you, JUST IN CASE.

He should get a prescription from his doctor, just in case they are lost or broken or damaged. If that happened, he'd take the prescription to the ship infirmary, and while they probably wouldn't have a quantity there, they would be able to facilitate his getting the prescription filled, if necessary.

RE: RX's. The ship's infirmary does not carry a vast range of pharmecuticals. It's not like go to your nearby pharmacy. You can't be assured that they have your husband needs. Also if they do you will pay an inflated cost for it. Though the infirmary would be able to faciliate getting his RX's filled, if needed, it could also mean waiting until the next port day for that to be done. Depending on one's intinery that could several days wait . My rule is to ALWAYS hand carry all medical supplies and carry extras in case of any delays. Including medications .

There is no issue taking catheters on the plane unless they are the self-enclosed type with water to activate the lubricant (lubricious catheters). The same is NOT true for the lubricant I assume he also uses for self cathing.

Medical supplies do not incur extra charges to check, nor do they count as part of your carry on luggage, but ONLY if you have a bag that has ONLY medical supplies in it. If you mix in with clothing, etc. they can charge you extra. We take my mother's catheters, gloves, bowel care supplies, underpads, and medications in one carry-on in addition to her regular carry-on. We have that bag marked "Medical Equipment and Supplies" on the outside in both English and Spanish. We have only had them open the bag a couple times; usually they just pass it through the Xray machine and we are on our way. A letter is only needed for those that are or contain liquid or gel (such as injectable meds, lubricant, etc.). We also check (at no extra charge) her travel shower/commode chair, and gate check both wheelchairs and her lift at no extra charge. On the way home, we are usually down to enough supplies that we put the remained in her wheelchair backpack and fold the medical supply bag and put it inside one of our larger suitcases.

Never check medical supplies or meds on the plane if you can help it. If damaged or lost, you are really stuck in most destinations.

I would NOT depend on being able to get catheters anywhere outside the USA, nor from the ship's infirmary. They are very unlikely to have very many straight catheters (and few Foleys too), and they would likely charge you an outrageous amount of money (their services and supplies are not free).

Also, always take a few extra day's worth of supplies on any trip, just to be on the safe side. For bulky items like disposable bed pads, we have been known to offer any extras to the ship's infirmary on the last day, and the nurses are always happy to take them off our hands.

As others have said there is no charge and they don't count as baggage with regard to charges or number restrictions. If they are lost or damaged the airline is responsible for replacing them, but that does not mean they can do so immediately and you could be in a mess. By all means carry on what you can so YOU have control over it. I would also bring a perscription in case anything happened and you did need to get more, I imagine the cruiseline could help you with that in port if it happened.

Thank you all for taking the trouble to reply to this thread.

I don't suppose anybody has had personal experience, or knows of anyone that has used these in the Caribbean. I am obviously concerned for his hygene but it is a holiday that he has always wanted, and had booked before he was diagnosed, so had no idea of the problems he was to encounter. However, he still wants to try everything he planned to do like snorkling and doing all the land tours eg Elis Eco Tours, Levi Bumpiings tour in Dominica and various other ones in St Maarten, Barbados etc.

He keeps telling me that he will manage, but he has never used them outside his own home yet.

Sorry this is a very personal question, but I am obviously very concerned for him.

I don't suppose anybody has had personal experience, or knows of anyone that has used these in the Caribbean. I am obviously concerned for his hygene but it is a holiday that he has always wanted, and had booked before he was diagnosed, so had no idea of the problems he was to encounter. However, he still wants to try everything he planned to do like snorkling and doing all the land tours eg Elis Eco Tours, Levi Bumpiings tour in Dominica and various other ones in St Maarten, Barbados etc.

He keeps telling me that he will manage, but he has never used them outside his own home yet.

Sorry this is a very personal question, but I am obviously very concerned for him.

Your concern and love for your father is fully understood. Please don't take this the wrong way as it's said with good intentions. However you need to step back and remember life goes on... even using a catherter. You can't expect you father to lock himself in his house . The process of using a catherter is the same whether he's at home or not. Just make certain he brings extra of everything . Dont just bring wants needed for the cruise.

I live with a dibilitating disease that has changed the way I have to live my life. What's important is I keep living my life and doing the things I love. Life's not perfert . Things do happen but you need to try not to transfer your fear to your father. As long as his doctor has cleared him for the trip and your father is comfortable with his decision to travel, than let your father go and enjoy himself. He needs to test his boundaries and determine his own limitations with this new way of living. My only recommendation is that he have sufficient medical/evacution insurance in the event something does happen. Don't read anything into that statement as things happen to people that have no prior medical issues when traveling.

All kinds of people travel every day, using catheters. Sure, he's new at this..but he'll manage. And probably stumble a few times along the way, but will learn. And even the most experienced catheter users will get infections, or sometimes have difficulties, but he'll manage.

He's a grown man, not a kid, and will adjust to this. I know you're concerned, but if he feels like he can do it, and his doctor has cleared him to travel, then back off and let him do it for himself.

Just make sure to tell him to bring plenty of catheters with him, in case some get broken, or there are delays and he doesn't get home as soon as he'd planned, or whatever. He'll be OK, really!!!

Thank you both.

Yes, I do sound over protective, and you are right, I should stand back and just let him get on with things. I just need to know that they can be done and that he isn't putting himself at risk.

Yes, I do understand that he does need to find his own boundaries. Talk about role reversal. He has always been the one to question me, not the other way round!!!!

As long as people feel that it is alright, I am happy. We just have not been able to talk to anyone else that appears to use them. I suppose people just don't want to talk about these things. He does seem to be managing remarkably well, so yes, I do need to back off a little!

Thank you both. You have put my mind at rest.

We just have not been able to talk to anyone else that appears to use them. I suppose people just don't want to talk about these things.

You have put my mind at rest.

You are obviously very caring and also worried about your father. There are many resources online for caregivers, and it might be nice for you to join a forum where you can communicate with other people who can help you out and really do understand. If your father is interested, he might also find a forum for people who have the same health issues he does, and get some tips from them.

If you would like to contact me privately at the email in my signature, I can give you some more specifics.

There is no issue taking catheters on the plane unless they are the self-enclosed type with water to activate the lubricant (lubricious catheters). The same is NOT true for the lubricant I assume he also uses for self cathing.]

These are the ones that my father uses. Are they going to be a problem? :eek:

The only other lubricant he needs are alcholol gells for his hands.

Thanks 3rings for your help. I will be in touch

Again thank you everyone for your input. :)

Archived