Cinema on Black Watch

sw18

As Black Watch is one of only a few cruise ships to still have a dedicated cinema I was wondering if any recent Black Watch sailors could tell me how often screenings are and how recent the films shown are.

I've only ever watched a film on a ship in the show lounge on a large screen video projector, so I hope there will be something decent to see in April!

Thanks in advance for any info :)

Although there is a dedicated cinema on board it is occasionally used for other purposes during the day eg "minority" talks, religious services. The films are repeated several times each evening (often at time approaching midnight). There is the odd new release but it is generally older films, including a few "gems". I think the cinema is a real plus which puts the "Black Watch" a little ahead of its sister ship the "Boudicca"

It is a couple of years since I was on this ship (I temporarily transferred my affection to the Balmoral) so haven't been on board since the changes to the public rooms took place. The last occasion was part of the world cruise and I never found the ship crowded.

The Boudicca ex Royal Viking Sky was built with the same cinema, and it was removed at some point. The only thing we attended in the Black Watch's cinema was the Sunday service. Which reminds me: when that ship, the ex Royal Viking Star, was built, there was a dedicated chapel located just forward of the cinema. She was the only ship of the three (and in fact the only ship of that first generation of NCL and RCCL cruisers) to have it. It was replaced with three cabins some time later, although the deck plan still shows the T-shaped space that it occupied. I have been trying to find pictures of the interior but to no avail.

We were on Black Watch in August 2009, in a cabin just outside the cinema (but were hardly aware of it - no noise). It's a good size and there seemed to be films on most evenings. I don't remember them being very new - we watched a recent James Bond one evening - but there was a good selection.

When are you sailing in April? I'm on Black Watch with my mother on the 'Canary Islands & West Africa Cruise' on the 18th. :)

Archived