Captain's cocktail and muster drill?

catharina

Hi Guys

we leave on the Splendida march 28th from marseille. Our 7 day cruise has it's last port day in Genua before heading back to Marseille.

In Genua is the main boarding place for this cruise line, so I expect most people to get on in Genua. (so 1 day before we go and 1 day before we get off)

Would this mean that the muster drill and captain's cocktail will most likely be held on our last day? (that would be funny, last day muster drill)

About this captain's cocktail: how do you know if any drinks are free? I find it emberrassing to just ask: Is this free or paid for? But I won't dare to just take something of a tray, because I heard that people who took a drink of a tray at boarding also got charged.

Greetings

Cat

(Not that I am afraid to spend any money on drinks, but I just like to know when something is paid for and when not)

Hi Guys

we leave on the Splendida march 28th from marseille. Our 7 day cruise has it's last port day in Genua before heading back to Marseille.

In Genua is the main boarding place for this cruise line, so I expect most people to get on in Genua. (so 1 day before we go and 1 day before we get off)

Would this mean that the muster drill and captain's cocktail will most likely be held on our last day? (that would be funny, last day muster drill)

About this captain's cocktail: how do you know if any drinks are free? I find it emberrassing to just ask: Is this free or paid for? But I won't dare to just take something of a tray, because I heard that people who took a drink of a tray at boarding also got charged.

Greetings

Cat

(Not that I am afraid to spend any money on drinks, but I just like to know when something is paid for and when not)

When we were on the Musica we boarded in Venice, as did most, but our first stop was Bari the next morning. There were a number of people who got off the ship and boarded there also. Sounds a lot like what you will experience. Before leaving Bari that evening we had our muster drill. I think the cruise line is required to have the drill within 24 hours of boarding.

Not sure what day we did the captain's coaktail party but it was just before a formal night dinner. It was held in one of the large lounges and I'm sure it was advertised in one of the daily programs that is put in your room each night.

The Musica was our first cruise and we had a great time.

Enjoy -

DT

Just to confuse matters catharina, they usually have a welcome (Captain's) cocktail party and a farewwell one (basically the same minus the captainand his officres!). I rather suspect you'll be doing the farewell one first and then the welcome one at the end - which will be different!. All the drinks and canapes at the cocktail parties are free. The waiters circulate with trays of drinks and you help yourself to the one you want.

There are the very rare occasion at other times onboard, when you will get a waitress promoting a drink's special and may have one or two made up ready. She will have a pad with her to make out slips for you to sign and usually a little board promoting whatever the drink is and it will have a price on it. It really is obvious when it isn't complimentary, so you don't need to worry about that.

No idea what will happen about your muster drill. We got on the Fantasia at genoa (main boarding port). Muster drill was that day. people continued to embark and disembark every day except at Tunis, and I never noticed there being any mini muster drills going on any other day or saw anything about them in the daily programme. It may well be that the rule of having one within 24 hours of sailing, only applies to the official start of the cruise. I rememeber joining a repositioning cruise from Copenhagen to genoa. I got on 2 days after it started at Dover and don't remember there being a muster drill at all.

Archived