Recapping Southern Caribbean Cruise on Caribbean Princess Dec 20-27

tyffaknee

I've been meaning to start recapping our our Christmas cruise aboard the Caribbean Princess for weeks, but it's taken me a lot of time to go through and edit all of our thousands of pictures!

I have recaps of the first half of the cruise (pre-cruise through 2nd port Dominica) up on my blog! I posted Dominica this morning here: http://thetoucansnest.blogspot.com/search/label/vacation

and at the beginning of the post are links to the previous days recaps. I'm hoping to have the rest of the posts (Grenada, Bonaire, Aruba, Day at Sea, Debarkation in San Juan and a General thoughts post) up by next week.

Our family really enjoyed this cruise, and I found it less chaotic than my last Christmas cruise (on Carnival Destiny). Anyway, I hope you find my recaps helpful in planning, or at least semi-entertaining ;), and I'll happy to try to answer any questions on here or over at my blog. :)

I didn't find it too busy at all. :) But then again, I've always liked port-heavy itineraries. On most port days we scheduled either a half-day excursion or no excursion at all (Aruba and Grenada). This way we could walk around the towns/see the sites at our leisure or even just go back to the ship to relax. I thought it worked out well.

Also, my MIL sometimes gets a little seasick, so she really appreciated having only 1 day at sea!

loved the pictures!! never seem lifevests look so good before ha ha - have heard a lot of mixed reviews about departing from SJ, specifically a lot of locals on the ships being loud and kids running around, im trying to decide between a SJ departure because of the intensive ports, or a FLL departure. I do love the caribbean, but also enjoy a more sedate crowd, thanks for the input- and i wont be going in the summer or when its a holiday.

@red4u2: I actually expected a lot of kids on this cruise because of the holiday, but it was actually pretty tame. It didn't feel as crowded as our last Christmas cruise either (on Carnival our of SJU)... and definitely less kids!

This cruise (which is my first on Princess) was the tamest in terms of crowds... but then again I pretty much always too Carnival. I don't know if it was a fluke or what! I guess my advice to you is then, just stay clear of Carnival! :)

Wonderful underwater pictures! We've booked Renee for our upcoming CB cruise Feb 28th. Can hardly wait to see those unique looking fish. It's good to hear that you enjoyed your tour with her. Did you have much time to do anything else after your snorkeling tour with Renee?

Wonderful underwater pictures! We've booked Renee for our upcoming CB cruise Feb 28th. Can hardly wait to see those unique looking fish. It's good to hear that you enjoyed your tour with her. Did you have much time to do anything else after your snorkeling tour with Renee?

Hi Ida,

We booked our 2-hour tour with Renee for 3pm. We were back to the CB around 5:15. I believe our boat was due to leave at 7pm with all-aboard set for 6:30, so we just stayed on the ship after she dropped us off.

We had the option of booking Renee for 11:30am, but decided against it because the sun is stronger then and I worried about my fair-skinned DH and ILs. :) We took a 2 hour taxi tour when we docked at 11am instead, came back for lunch, and then did the snorkel tour--a complete day! :D

Tiffany, great job again! I have a question for you. Did you arrange the day passes at the Radisson ahead of time, or did you just show up and ask?

I believe you can reserve ahead of time (this is what I meant to do, but I heard you couldn't reserve more than 3 weeks ahead of time, and then I forgot), so we just walked into the lobby and bought day passes for the beach.

Thanks for the link to your blog, it has been fun reading! What days were your formal nights? Was there a french theme night in the dining room? Thanks!

Our formal nights were the days were at St. Thomas (Night 2, the day after embarkation), and Bonaire (Night 5, Christmas Eve for us!). I don't recall a French theme, but I didn't really pay attention to themes... the only one I remember is Italian (because the servers dressed up as gondoliers) and Caribbean (because I remember seeing them discount Hawaiian print items in the shop for that night).

Loved your blog and all the GREAT pics! We are going on this itinerary on the 14th of Feb. Won a great bid on priceline for the Carib Hilton San Juan pre-cruise; and the Sheridan in OSJ post cruise. My "B" day is on the 15th and we are planning to taxi to Magen's bay beach for some R & R. In Aruba we too are planning to take the bus to the Radisson. Could you give us an idea where you hopped on the bus, and did you have to watch when to get off. I have emailed the resort re.: day passes as well. We are also touring with Mandoo in Grenada on his spice island tour. thanks for all the info...Well done Tiffany!:)

Loved your blog and all the GREAT pics! We are going on this itinerary on the 14th of Feb. Won a great bid on priceline for the Carib Hilton San Juan pre-cruise; and the Sheridan in OSJ post cruise. My "B" day is on the 15th and we are planning to taxi to Magen's bay beach for some R & R. In Aruba we too are planning to take the bus to the Radisson. Could you give us an idea where you hopped on the bus, and did you have to watch when to get off. I have emailed the resort re.: day passes as well. We are also touring with Mandoo in Grenada on his spice island tour. thanks for all the info...Well done Tiffany!:)

Thanks, czez, and happy early birthday! What a wonderful way to celebrate! :) In Aruba, if I remember correctly, the Radisson stop is right after the Eagle Beach stop. People there are generally really friendly, so if you tell the bus driver that that is where you will going he/she will likely let you know where to get off. If for whatever reason you miss the Radisson stop, the stop after that is the "official" Palm Beach stop, and you can easily walk back to the Radisson.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!:D

Many Thanks, Looking forward to that frosty "maryann" drink at Gilligans Bar. All my co workers are jelous,while they get to shovel snow, we soak up the rays. ....oh hum:(.......time to pack!:D

Archived