To take expensive jewelry or not to take?

artistsj

I am a first timer. :D I have gone on many vacations but never one that required dress, if you don't count the occasional wedding trip. Should I trust a $4000.00 insured necklace to the room safe? Or should I wear costumer jewelry?:eek:

I am a first timer. :D I have gone on many vacations but never one that required dress, if you don't count the occasional wedding trip. Should I trust a $4000.00 insured necklace to the room safe? Or should I wear costumer jewelry?:eek:

Provided you operate the safe properly, you should have no problem. I haven't heard of any incidents where someone's safe was broken into.

Why Stress NCL is not that dressy. Relax enjoy the cruise. If on the other hand you relish the chance to wear the necklace and it adds to your enjoyment bring it. The safe is good and I think they also have safe deposit boxes on most ships.

Enjoy what ever you decide to do.

Cover cruising? You also have to consider flights, basic travelling taxi's etc. Of course it would be awful to lose a special necklace, but it would be worse to lose it and find the insurance won't cover the room safe or being left in a taxi...

As long as it's covered, and it will make you happy, then bring it. If you're going to constantly worry though, do costume and have a more relaxed time... not many on board will really know the difference no matter how good your jewelry is, and I think many people assume most jewelry they see to be fake just because they've never really looked closely at real next to fake:o

Meredith<- who's father was a master goldsmith ...:)

artistsj - My advice is to leave expensive jewelry home. Why bother taking a chance of something happening to a beautiful, expensive piece of jewelry, instead take some real nice costume jewelry or less expensive jewelry to wear with your dressy outfits. I wear my rings, everyday gold necklace, but nothing I would have heart failure over if something happened to it. Having said that, there is a safe in the cabin that has always worked well for us in keeping documents and whatever jewelry I take with me safe.

Personally, I would wear it. Why have it if you don't plan to enjoy it? Then again, I'm one of those people who uses her fine china every day.

However if having it with you is going to worry you on your trip or cause stress, then by all means, leave it home.

How's that for playing both sides of the issue?

I would bring your jewery, but I would not wear it off the ship, in a 3rd world country or area/port, these items could bring attendtion to your self for a on the street type robbery. I would even maybe replace your wedding ring with a gold band while in port.

This is always a problem for me. I hate to be"naked " so to speak and there are so many occassions on board to wear nice things. That being said I guess I look at all of the ports and decide what to do. But I never wear my good jewelry in sight in any port outside of the US. On a land trip to Central America I noticed on the plane that I had left home all my jewelry(on purpose) except the most expensive piece and I freaked! But there were plenty of places to hide such things. Oh yeah and remember "most expensive"is relative to each person. There are no $10,000 and up gems in my possession. Sometimes it is the sentimental value that is more important.

:D I will bring the expensive jewels, as there is no point in owning them if they sit at home. I like the advice not to draw attention to myself by wearing it at port. Actually most of you are right, no one but me would ever guess that it is a quality piece. The center will look like a zirconian and the garnets are not of much value. But I have it and I wear it on everyday occasions at home. I even wore my pearls to substitute teach. I did not think a thing of it except when a student asked if they were real. I know adults are more descrete and will not ask. :D

Well, of course it's up to you and why buy something if you're not going to use it. However NCL has only one formal night, and it's optional, so as long as you don't mind being dressed to the nines while mingling with casual dressers outside the one formal dinning room you'll have opportunity to wear it.

However make sure your policy covers you, you have to ask because limits may be different outside of the country. It's great that your homeower policy covers you, it's bad to find out you have a $2,000 limit out the country when you go to make a claim. Also, cruise ship safes suffer the same security issues as hotel room safes: the safe is secure but it may be attached to a 1/2 plywood shelf. Most ships have safes behind the pursers desk that are perhaps more secure than the ones in the room. Finally, make sure you have a picture of the necklace and the receipt safely tucked somewhere in case of the need to claim (you know, at the office like your agent recommended or in the fireproof box)

However, under no circumstances wear it ashore. Crimes of opportunity are high in most cruise ship destinations and travelers, as in any major tourist destination, should not draw attention to themselves as particularly good targets. A $4,000 necklace might as well be in the shape of a giant target, as are expensive cam'cordered, cameras, shopping bags emblazed with logos from Diamonds Unlimited/Columbia Emeralds/little Switzerland. Common sense: If you're need to be flashy in port your security suffers.

I take mine on all my cruises and the safe is just fine I change my code from time to time though for my own peace of mind. If you feel as good as I do when I wear mine that is why we have them. Remember your husband or friend loves when you feel good about yourself. As for the cruise line not being dressy, the majorty of them are.

cakewalk

10 other cruises

poa - 3-6-05

Triumph 12-3-05

Disney 6-22-06

do it, take it. if your not, then your going to get stressed out worrying about a necklace. Is that kind of stress worth it? I couldn't be bothered by something like that, also makes you an easy target for theft, in my opinion. A necklace isn't worth that kind of stress. It might make you feel exquisite, but most people probably aren't going to care how much your necklace costs as long as it looks nice on you...or for that matter, probably nobody is going to notice you wearing it, if they do, then for what reason? Menina

If you will be too nervous..by all means don't bring the pricey stuff...

Personally I bring all my expensive peices and wear different ones every night to dinner at least...that's my fun on the cruises. I do wear discreet peices in port and have turned my wedding rings around in certain locales. Dh and I usually do quite abit of jewellry shopping in some ports. Usually that's where my next B'day or Xmas presents come from..

It really depends upon your comfort level...

Personally, I'm with the "don't bring it" group. I debated the diamonds endlessly on my last cruise and finally decided against taking them. I was absolutely delighted in my decision - it gave me an excuse to pick up new and interesting pieces in the ports. I ended up getting one piece of junk and several things that are gorgeous, unique and great souvenirs of the trip.

On top of that I never worried about losing something of great sentimental and monetary value. but, if your gems make you happy bring them. the safe is terrific, the staff can't afford to lose their jobs over someones gems and you're not likely to wear your stones off the ship.

you should be happy and relaxed on your cruise - enjoy!

Bring it. I have about $24,000 in insured jewelry. Some special family pieces and some newer stuff from my husband. I wear some of it every day. I figure why have it if you don't wear it? And it's insured...you'd hate to lose it or have it stolen but why insure it if there's never a chance of something happening to it? That's my opinion. I'd bring the fancy jewelry and enjoy it.

I would say: If you are uncomfortable, don't bring your fine jewelry. The safes on board ARE very good, and reliable, as is the staff. But if you use the safe properly, I can't imagine you having a realistic chance of a problem. But use common sense. Don't TELL people "Oh, yes, these are real rubies. This is the priceless Ruby Yacht of Omar Kahyaam!" (remember the worst pun ever in "Rocky and Bullwinkle"?) "Oh yes, this is MOST expensive watch Rolex makes!"

If someone asks "Are those pearls/diamonds/sapphires real?", look 'em in the eye and say "Sure they are real, you aren't imagining them!" --then wink!

I can't speak for other husbands or friends, but I love my wife whether she wears her expensive jewelry or not.

The point I was making was that when a woman feels elegant in her jewels she feels good, glows, weman who ware whatever they want, or don't ware anything, and feel good husbands or friends love to see them glow. Just a simple point about notecing a glow.

Cakewalk

Archived