First time Princess...some questions

patwell

We have never sailed on Princess before. All of our cruising/ crossing has been on Queen Mary 2, however a quick dash to the sun seemed like a fun idea and based on a friend's suggestion we booked Emerald Princess and will leave shortly.

I've been reading as much as I can but still have a few things I'm unclear on and hope you can help.

Skywalkers....I have read there is a Captain's Club cocktail period from 5:30 to 7:30. Obviously as newbies to Princess we know we don't qualify for that. Does it mean that one isn't able to go there during that time period for pre dinner drinks? It seemed like an interesting place for that but we'd not go if it's private then.

Boarding day....have read a main dining room is open for lunch. Which one is it usually? How late? How is the service? Is it a full lunch menu? I like the sound of a simple lunch in the International Cafe but our friends might want different.

Adagio.....dessert and coffee late in the evening? Did I read that correctly? Is there a charge for this and are the desserts what one would get in the dining rooms? I'm a dessert lover...this sounds perfect to me.

The Wheelhouse....is the pub lunch all that they serve? Does it do food later in the day or become just another bar venue?

Anytime dining....we are booked for Traditional dining but wonder if there is a possibility to perhaps try this out one evening.

Sanctuary....can 1/2 days be booked in advance the day one boards or only on the actual day? Is the pool by there much quieter than the others? We are not used to noisy pool areas with a lot of activity going on. MUTS is just not appealing to us as we enjoy the ocean as our favorite distraction, not a lot of noise to drown it out.

Given the fact that QM2 is bigger and has a higher space ratio per passenger, will we feel crowded...have waits at elevators? I gather finding pool chairs can be a real problem at times which is alright as I'll be content on my balcony in the sun...I was just curious if it would feel more crowded with more passengers on a smaller ship.

Phew...I didn't realize I had so many questions...sorry. I'll appreciate any information some of you Emerald folks could share with me. Thank you...

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10, 2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16, 2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour...

2010....the “Affair” is indecisive, but back to QM2 for 14 days somewhere delightful

We have never sailed on Princess before. All of our cruising/ crossing has been on Queen Mary 2, however a quick dash to the sun seemed like a fun idea and based on a friend's suggestion we booked Emerald Princess and will leave shortly.

I've been reading as much as I can but still have a few things I'm unclear on and hope you can help.

Skywalkers....I have read there is a Captain's Club cocktail period from 5:30 to 7:30. Obviously as newbies to Princess we know we don't qualify for that. Does it mean that one isn't able to go there during that time period for pre dinner drinks? It seemed like an interesting place for that but we'd not go if it's private then.

My understanding is that only one area of Skywalkers is blocked off.

Boarding day....have read a main dining room is open for lunch. Which one is it usually? How late? How is the service? Is it a full lunch menu? I like the sound of a simple lunch in the International Cafe but our friends might want different.

Usually it's the one on Deck 5, which is the same deck as the International Cafe. The Patter newsletter which will be in your cabin will list which dining room it is.

Adagio.....dessert and coffee late in the evening? Did I read that correctly? Is there a charge for this and are the desserts what one would get in the dining rooms? I'm a dessert lover...this sounds perfect to me.

Yes. The desserts are from the menu at the alternative-dining venue, Sabbatini's, which is right next door, and there is a charge for them ($3 or $4, I think?). They're different than the dining room desserts. Try the tiramisu -- YUMMM.

The Wheelhouse....is the pub lunch all that they serve? Does it do food later in the day or become just another bar venue?

Just another bar venue. No food unless you count peanut/pretzel snack mix!

Anytime dining....we are booked for Traditional dining but wonder if there is a possibility to perhaps try this out one evening.

That's debatable. You're not really supposed to but you could probably ask the maitre d' if it was okay to do one night. The decor/menu/dress code are all exactly the same, though, so except for the thrill of maybe getting to have a pager and wait for a table, it's virtually identical to Traditional and you're not missing anything.

Sanctuary....can 1/2 days be booked in advance the day one boards or only on the actual day? Is the pool by there much quieter than the others? We are not used to noisy pool areas with a lot of activity going on. MUTS is just not appealing to us as we enjoy the ocean as our favorite distraction, not a lot of noise to drown it out.

No, only on the actual day. Yes, the Lotus Spa pool (which is open to anyone, not just Sanctuary users) is very quiet and adult-only. Also the aft Terrace Pool is adult-only and blessedly MUTS-free. And there are two Lido Deck pools -- only one has MUTS, the other one has a band occasionally and pool games but no MUTS.

Given the fact that QM2 is bigger and has a higher space ratio per passenger, will we feel crowded...have waits at elevators? I gather finding pool chairs can be a real problem at times which is alright as I'll be content on my balcony in the sun...I was just curious if it would feel more crowded with more passengers on a smaller ship.

It might but it's all about attitude (and avoiding the buffet at peak hours). If you like to go to the shows, get there early to get a seat, especially for the early show (same as on land, really). Otherwise, you might find it pleasant in that there are lots of small areas rather than huge public rooms -- I didn't find the Crown, her twin, to feel all that crowded -- except on deck on sea days, which figures.

Phew...I didn't realize I had so many questions...sorry. I'll appreciate any information some of you Emerald folks could share with me. Thank you...

Cheers, Penny

November 10, 2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16, 2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

2010....the “Affair” is indecisive, but back to QM2 for 14 days somewhere delightful

See above. Hope this helps.

See above. Hope this helps.

Absolutely it did!!! Thank you so much rdsgrl...exactly the kind of help I was hoping for and answers my questions completely.

And thanks for the tiramisu tip.....I LOVE tiramisu!! Our friends are more the Crown Grill type and not terribly adventurous in their eating, so unfortunately I doubt we'll get to go to Sabbatinis. But one of their desserts will make my day!

Any other suggestions of things we shouldn't miss or overlook will be appreciated as well....thanks again.

Cheers, Penny

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

2010....the “Affair” is indecisive, but back to QM2 for 14 days somewhere

There's also tiramisu on the dining room menu one night -- on Italian Night (not surprising!). But, as far as I recall (it's been 2.5 years!), the tiramisu from Sabbatini's was just that much better.

I love Adagio, and they have a Citrus Bellini which is one of my favourite drinks ever, so I highly recommend that. And in the late afternoon, I loved the outdoor deck outside Sabbatini's/Adagio, with its metal & glass patio furniture and little fountain -- a great place to sit and watch the swimmers in the aft pool and the ship's wake.

If you like specialty coffees, mochas and lattes and such, buy a coffee card -- it saves you on a per drink basis over buying them individually. It's $28.75 including the gratuity and gets you 15 drinks. If you don't use all the punch-outs on this voyage, it carries over.

Meanwhile, I'm jealous of you as I'm dying to sail on the QM. My TA crossing on the QE2 (in a Princess Grill cabin! Wow!) was amazing and remains a favourite travel memory.

On the Star last month the entrance to Skywalkers had a notice 'Private Party 1700 -1900" and it was a pretty busy place for the cocktail hour(s).

I actually found the QM2 had more waiting than any of the Princess ships. I noticed it more because I have my mother in a wheelchair and so cannot take shortcuts but must take the elevator. As far a crowds are concerned I have never found any ship to feel overcrowded in the inside public spaces.

Getting a chair near the main pool can be a challenge on a sunny day which I never found to be a problem on the QM2.

Archived