Hotel Captain Cook?

Travel_Maven

My husband and I are looking for a nice place to stay that is close to the downtown Hertz rental car location in Anchorage. Hotel Captain Cook is right across the street but the reviews I've read have been mixed. We would appreciate any feedback you have. Thanks!

I'm also staying at the Captain Cook. The reviews I have read are pretty favorable. It looks to me like the nicest Hotel in Anchorage. Just one thing to know is they do NOT have a airport shuttle and a taxi cost around $25. That alone dissapointed me but I want a nice hotel, so there ya go.

The Cook is fine; as PennyAgain says, not all rooms are created equal. No air conditioning, which is usually not a problem in Anchorage, but the sun does stay up a long time.

There are other first-class hotels in the downtown area that IMO would give the Cook a run for its money - the Marriott and Hilton, and the Sheraton (a bit further out though.) If the price is good, you'll be happy.

We stayed at the Captain Cook on our previous trip to Alaska and found it to be a fine classic hotel that more than met our needs for the two nights we were there. If you are familiar with hotels in Boston, I would equate it with the Park Plaza or the Omni Parker House, both of which have a wide variety of room sizes- some extremely spacious and others more like converted broom closets. The cruiseline met us at the airport and transported us to the Captain Cook and two mornings later to the train for our journey to Denali and Fairbanks.

This June, Royal Caribbean has booked us into the Downtown Marriott hotel which I expect will be typical of just about every Marriott we have ever stayed in. Probably won't have the character and ambience that the Captain Cook offers, but it will be comfortable and the rooms pretty much standard.:)

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Think we will go with the Captain Cook but curious to know if Princess will transfer your luggage from the hotel to Ship? We are doing an inland tour on our own but are considering booking our Captain Cook hotel through Princess. Does anyone know if Princess will transfer your luggage to the ship from the hotel if they don't pick you up at the airport?

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Think we will go with the Captain Cook but curious to know if Princess will transfer your luggage from the hotel to Ship? We are doing an inland tour on our own but are considering booking our Captain Cook hotel through Princess. Does anyone know if Princess will transfer your luggage to the ship from the hotel if they don't pick you up at the airport?

You need to confirm this with Princess, but if you are booking the hotel through them, the booking should include transfers from the hotel to the ship. You are probably paying a per person rate to book the hotel through the cruiseline and thus paying more than you would if you booked directly with the Captain Cook. Some of that added cost should be the price of transfers. When we sailed with Princess in Alaska some years ago, even though we booked our own air, they met us at the airport and transported us from the airport to the Captain Cook and eventually to the train for the landtour portion of our trip. Don't recall if we paid separately for the transfers from airport to hotel, but the transfers from hotel to train and at the end of our land tour, the flight from Fairbanks to Anchorage and bus from Anchorage to Seward were all included in the total cruisetour package.:)

Archived