Scandinavia/Russia on the Century

X-ring

I'm seriouusly considering this one for June but am wondering which side to pick for our cabin.

The port side seems to offer more while the ship underway but the starboard side may be preferable when tied up in port.

Would appreciate any thoughts/comments.

TIA

IMHO I really don't see the need to worry about it on THIS cruise. When you are in port, you will be off exploring the cities. When you are sailing, it will most likely be dark.

I sailed on the Century to these cities back in 1999 or 2000. Had a wonderful cruise. It was my first experience with Celebrity and I haven't sailed any other line since!!

When you are sailing, it will most likely be dark.

Thanks for your feedback about the cruise Deb.

As for it being dark when being underway, the ship typically leaves port around 4-6 p.m. and the evenings in June are long up there so there may still be lots to see when heading out to open water.

Well especially in June it´s the longest days throughout the year and some places it won´t get dark the whole night. I remember last year early June in St. Petersburg the sun was still up around 11:00pm.

However I don´t see any advantage or disadvantage to a special side of the ship. You´ll have some great views from both sides during sailaway. We loved to enjoy our balcony at sailaway.

We´ve been on starboard side and docked starboard towards the dock in Oslo and Copenhagen.

I did this itineray and feel that both sides are equally good. Most of the ports require going up water ways. The view on one side of the ship going up becomes the same view for the other side of the ship going back down.

It is my understanding (not sure) that cruise ships are not consistant in which side faces the pier when docking. It has something to do with painting the ship. The painting side is always facing away from the pier so as not to drop paint on passengesr and/or the pier.

Besides most piers are commercial piers and the view is really nothing to look at. I was watching them load containers onto a ship.

BTW I think this is a great itineray I loved it and may do it again real soon.

Besides most piers are commercial piers and the view is really nothing to look at. I was watching them load containers onto a ship.

BTW I think this is a great itineray I loved it and may do it again real soon.

I have to agree with that, although in many of the Baltic cities we docked almost downtown and within walking distance to the city center.

I´m thinking about doing it again this year although I did it last year, but it´s such a great cruise I´m ready to go again.

A few tips might be helpful

RUSSIA

If you do not take the ships excursion in Russia you will need a visa before leaving the U.S. This can be a pain in the you know what and not too cheap. I checked it out and found it was not worth it.

Being in Russia for two days we took the one day Moscow tour. It was a looong tour from around 8:00am to midnight. It was a little on the expensive side but well worth it (in my opion). We toured the inside and outside of the Kremilin, Gums "department store" really a small mall, Red Square had a excellent dinner which included a shot of Vodka.

The second day we took the cruise line's private car excursion. this was also worth it for us. We were able to tell the driver and english speaking tour guide what we wanted to see.

COPENHAGAN

At the pier you can take a double decker tours bus that allows you on and off all day. The bus has ear phones that tell you evetrything in mutiple langauges. We got off at Tivoli Gardens walked all around then walked down the main shopping street to the canal. Took the boat tour and then had lunch at a side walk cafe. Crossed the street and took the next tour bus. Got off at the little Mermaid and walked back to the ship. The bus runs about every 15 or 20 minutes. Well worth the $2.75 pp cost. Much cheaper than the ships excursion and from talking to other passengers we did more.

Hint from former citizen of USSR.

As much as I love Moscow (was there 10-12 times)... I think St.Peter has much more to offer from all points of view. I'd say only 2 days there is already extremely limited amount of time!

My plan in the city would be

1) City tour (including visit to St. Isaak's and Kazan Cathedrals),

2) Hermitage (I know it's laughable time to see this museum, but still one of the greatest museums).

Outside:

1) Peterhof (Petrodvorets) - "The Russian Versailles" (IMHO much more interesting and rich that Versailles)

2) Pushkino (parks and palaces)

Leave Moscow for another visit.;)

Good luck:)

As much as I love Moscow (was there 10-12 times)... I think St.Peter has much more to offer from all points of view. I'd say only 2 days there is already extremely limited amount of time!

I agree with you that 2-days in St. Ptersburg is not enough. I am not an art collector and know very little about it but I could have spend a full day at the Hermitage alone. Because of the distance and construction we were unable to see both Peterhof and Pushkino, we opted for pushkino closer to city. But it is a must. Took two city tours, on the way to teh airport for teh trip to Moscow we had a tour and then the next day with our own driver.

Since you have never been to Russia I still recommend going to Moscow if for no other reason to see the Kremlen and the Amory with its collection. Another must is the subway in Moscow. The trains are very old but the systems is far supieror to any I have seen in this country. They have original art hanging in the stations.

Russia has a tremendous history and a week in each of the cities would not be enough to appreciate what they have to offer

On my next trip I will be spending two days in St . Petersburg

Thanks for the great feedback folks - I have now gone ahead and booked us on the cruise.

The suggestions re St. Petersburg, Moscow and Copenhagen are especially appreciated. Please feel free to continue with more on these and, as well, add comments about "must sees" at the the other stops (i.e. Amsterdam, Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki and Tallinn).

Quite frankly, given the long days in June and expecting to return again sometime (probably late fall some other time), I would probably concentrate on taking in sights more than museums. I would hate to miss any worthwhile museum but they could probably be done just as well in lousy fall weather.

Thanks for all the great info.DH and I were already booked on the 9 day Caribbean cruise and just transferred to new itinerary.T/A says we are the only ones she knows that can turn a 10 minute drive into a 10 hour flight.LOL!

I know it will be well worth it.Can't wait till June 2.

We don't get into Copenhagen until 8 pm.I know Tivoli Gardens is open to midninght,but will it be worth it to go and have dinner ,and will we have transportation back afterwards?

Almost everyone on the ship including my wife and I loved Tallinn. It is so quant with narrow street and flower shops I felt like I was in a movie setting.

I am referring to the old city.

As I recall the cruise line had free transfers to the city which was a nice touch.

And donot forget to make a pre or after cruise stay in....Amsterdam.

Indeed Ine, I've been looking forward to visiting Amsterdam!

We will spend the weekend following the cruise in Amsterdam before flying home on the Monday morning. Included in my must-sees are the Van Gogh, the Rijksmuseum, the Anne Frank House and the Amstelkring (secret Catholic church in the 17C). I would also like to fit in a visit to the open air folk museum in Arnhem - maybe on the way from Paris to Amsterdam prior to the cruise.

If the visit to the "open-air" museum near Arnhem wouldnot fit, there is are 2 other museums, which are not similar, but give good impressions about the old days too.

Zaanse Schans is about 15 trainminutes from Amsterdam. Take the train to Koog-Zaandijk and it is abt 10/15 minutes walk. Old houses, working windmills etc along river Zaan. Not that big, morning or afternoonvisit will do.

Or take the train (abt. 45 min.) (or car) to Enkhuizen, from the station take the small ferryship to Zuiderzeemuseum. All about the old days and villages around the former Zuiderzee,(now IJsselmeer). Bigger and you can incl. a visit to another (inside) museum. Besides Enkhuizen is a nice old little town.

However as it is all outside, the weather is important.

Ine

Thanks Ine, I have taken note of those suggestions. Now for another question for the board.

Of the ports/countries included in the itinerary, the euro is currently in use in the Netherlands and Finland, but none of the others (it's coming to Estonia but not yet there).

What did you do for small expenses (e.g. postcards) in local currrency in the other ports?

X-ring - I hope you will have a look at the Baltic Ports board here at CC. You will find a lot of useful information on the Baltic ports there.

Any specific questions you may have about Stockholm I would be happy to try to answer. Not as a former cruise visitor, but as a person who lives here. I have never been on a Baltic cruise, only to other parts of the world.

X-ring - I hope you will have a look at the Baltic Ports board here at CC. You will find a lot of useful information on the Baltic ports there.

Any specific questions you may have about Stockholm I would be happy to try to answer.

Excellent suggestion as I am new on this site and just getting my bearings. Thank you for taking the time.

Now for your kind offer re Stockholm - my daughters have been in love with Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg since the 80's (what classy guys!). It would be very nice if you could arrange to have either of them come to have his picture taken with my wife on June 30, between 9 and 5. :)

As for me, ABBA's Frida would do just fine. :D

Now for your kind offer re Stockholm - my daughters have been in love with Mats Wilander and Stefan Edberg since the 80's (what classy guys!). It would be very nice if you could arrange to have either of them come to have his picture taken with my wife on June 30, between 9 and 5. :)

As for me, ABBA's Frida would do just fine. :D

Can I join them and you please !!!!!!

What did you do for small expenses (e.g. postcards) in local currrency in the other ports?

I usually get local current at the pursers desk on the ship. Anything left over (except change) will be refunded back to U.S. dollars. This may not be the best exchange rate but it is very convient.

Thanks Ine, I have taken note of those suggestions. Now for another question for the board.

Of the ports/countries included in the itinerary, the euro is currently in use in the Netherlands and Finland, but none of the others (it's coming to Estonia but not yet there).

I thought about this prior to my cruise too, but it´s not a big deal. I didn´t changed any money to the various currencies. You´ll get along perfectly with USD, Euro and Credit cards. Credit cards work even for the samllest expenses. I was at a shop to buy something to drink and they didn´t take Euro or USD (I think it was in Oslo) but credit card was fine even for just a soda. Tourist stores, for example when buying post cards will take either Euro or USD.

Even in Russia this was the way to go. So don´t worry about it.

Do yourselves a huge favor and e-mail redoctober@peterlink.ru and book a 2 day tour with them. We did a tour in June that was wonderful. They have outstanding guides, nice vehicles and they get you in ahead of the ship's tours. I have nothing but good things to say about our tour. Our guide's name was Helena Babinova and she was so knowledgeable and worked really hard to make sure we enjoyed ourselves. They will arrange for your visas and the cost if you get a small group of 4-6-8 is cheaper than the ship's tours. E-mail and ask for a sample itinerary of what they suggest.. They are willing to make adjustments depending what you want to see.:)

Can I join them and you please !!!!!!

Please do, there are still some good cabins left!

Getting back to your suggestions for side trips from Amsterdam, I note that they are both north of the city and may try to do one or the other after arriving.

However, I am hoping to be driving to AMS and arriving from the south (Brussels area). If you have a minute, I would appreciate your recommendation for a general route (cities, towns) for the drive to AMS that would let me see the best of Holland, south of AMS. We would be leaving Brussels on a Saturday morning and expect to sleep on route Saturday night before proceeding to AMS on Sunday.

TIA

Almost everyone on the ship including my wife and I loved Tallinn. It is so quant with narrow street and flower shops I felt like I was in a movie setting.

I am referring to the old city.

As I recall the cruise line had free transfers to the city which was a nice touch.

I loved Tallinn, but at that time (1987) I didn't travel outside of USSR yet (except to Poland) and now I think that if you travelled to West European countries ( Belgium, Netherlands, France etc) , while nice Tallinn isn't different from other medival towns.

Well of course there are other medival towns around Europe, but I have to say I loved the old town of Tallin too. I thought it was next to St. Petersburg of course a real highlight of the trip. I was so surprised to find such a nice old town in such a good shape. Throughout Europe many of the medival towns have been destroyed but I think Tallin looks like nothing happened to it, or they rebuilt and/or restored it very well.

Archived