Out of the way places in GC?

lookin4calm

Normally when I take a vacation, I like to spend 1-2 weeks on the same island so I really feel like I know the place. We are taking our first cruise on the Rhapsody in March, and I am trying to adjust to the fact that we’ll only be in port for a few short hours (7AM-4PM). I am looking for some advice on what to do.

I suspect by this time in the trip, I will be looking to get away from the hordes of people on the ship. The idea of getting on a bus, then a huge party boat, drink watery rum punch, jammed next to 100 people, joined by 5 other boats with 100 people on them to see stingrays is a very good description of a horrific day. We’re a pretty adventuresome family – I have no problem renting a car and traveling to a remote part of the island. In fact, probably the more remote the better. Ideally, I’d like to rent a car, stop at a grocery store for some cold drinks, drive to a remote beach off the beaten path, hang out for a while, snorkel, and sit in the shade. No facilities? That’s fine with us. Remote and uncrowded are the key words here. That would be followed by lunch at an out of the way place. We don’t need a fancy view, we don’t need fru-fru guava-berry frozen drinks with sugar-rimmed glasses, just a cold beer and (ideally) local food that we wouldn’t really be able to get anywhere else.

I might be talked into a tour of some sort, but the number of participants both during the tour and at any destination would have to be extremely limited for me to be interested.

FWIW, I’d even be interested in spending my island time helping with the reconstruction effort, meeting some local people, and doing (admittedly) a very small part to help.

Any ideas?

I can't speak for all cruises and tours (of course) but our trip to Sting Ray Sandbar with Nativeway had a total of 8 passengers on it (4 of which were my wife & I with our 2 sons).

It's good of you to be willing to help with reconstruction if needed.

Have a good cruise.

-Monte

Hey lookin,

Rent a car and get away from the crowds. Last time we were there we rented a car and drove around the island. It doesn't take very long to get to Rum Point which is really a nice and not at all busy ! There are alot of things to see along the way and you can stop and look around at your own pace. This time I think we're going to have the ship make up some sandwiches for us the night before and grab a few local beers for our pit stop at a private spot on the way to or back from Rum Point. Wait untill you see some of the homes on the ocean ! Really nice real estate :) There was one " beach " we stopped at that was all pieces of coral. I bought a Caymans guide at the local book store and laid out a route that we wanted to cover. You can make a great day of it in 4 to 6 hours and be back to buy what ever " stuff " you may want and catch the tender back to the ship. Good Luck ! Driving on the left is a trip.

Jimmy and Allie :) :)

Normally when I take a vacation, I like to spend 1-2 weeks on the same island so I really feel like I know the place. We are taking our first cruise on the Rhapsody in March, and I am trying to adjust to the fact that we’ll only be in port for a few short hours (7AM-4PM). I am looking for some advice on what to do.

I suspect by this time in the trip, I will be looking to get away from the hordes of people on the ship. The idea of getting on a bus, then a huge party boat, drink watery rum punch, jammed next to 100 people, joined by 5 other boats with 100 people on them to see stingrays is a very good description of a horrific day. We’re a pretty adventuresome family – I have no problem renting a car and traveling to a remote part of the island. In fact, probably the more remote the better. Ideally, I’d like to rent a car, stop at a grocery store for some cold drinks, drive to a remote beach off the beaten path, hang out for a while, snorkel, and sit in the shade. No facilities? That’s fine with us. Remote and uncrowded are the key words here. That would be followed by lunch at an out of the way place. We don’t need a fancy view, we don’t need fru-fru guava-berry frozen drinks with sugar-rimmed glasses, just a cold beer and (ideally) local food that we wouldn’t really be able to get anywhere else.

I might be talked into a tour of some sort, but the number of participants both during the tour and at any destination would have to be extremely limited for me to be interested.

FWIW, I’d even be interested in spending my island time helping with the reconstruction effort, meeting some local people, and doing (admittedly) a very small part to help.

Any ideas?

We've been to Grand Cayman a few times and will be sailing the Miracle 2/13 and will be back there again. We'll be heading back to our favorite beach (which is exactly what you are looking for I think). It's called "Cemetery Reef" and is a part of Seven Mile Beach. No hotels or facilities - you just take a cab there on your own (used to be about $3.50 each I think), walk down a little sand path next to a small cemetery and come out on a beautiful unspoiled beach. There's just a private house there - that's it. Looks like the pictures you see on postcards or tv of Seven Mile Beach. Usually the only other people there are fellow cruisers who have heard about it - you can tell by their blue towels on the beach. Give it a try - I'm sure you'll love it. Have fun . . .

Sue

Archived