Taking the Bus- in Light of Recent Events

travelangel7

Hi,

I was planning on taking the Bus with my husband to Jolly or Valley Church Beach next week on our cruise.

But in light of what happened to that woman I'm a little worried. What are your thoughts? Do you think a taxi would be safer and how much would it cost?

In my experience, Antigua is not generally a threatening or dangerous place. I've spent weeks there... There are a few neighborhoods that have 'issues'; generally poverty, drug use, and attendent crime. They're not neighborhoods a tourist is likely to get into. They're not on the bus line you anticipate using which is much in the 'thick of things' touristically and not isolated or remote...

There have been a few highly publicized tourist murders (three incidents I believe) in Antigua during the past 2-3 years. These incidents have freaked out the local community as well as generated headlines. The vast majority of Antiguans are very friendly and very honest. In my view, it is a safer less 'threatening' island than several other popular beautiful islands that simply are not presently in the news...

The most recent murder has the initial appearance of being a singular robbery and/or sexual assault gone awry. It occurred in a reasonably popular general area - but Pidgeon Point itself is a bit off the locally beaten path with remote spots. Tourists should feel safe in a place like that, but as chilling as attacks like this are... unfortunately, they tend to be chilling due to being random, unexpected, and extremely unusual. Unfortunately, they occur with AT LEAST as much frequency in the 10-20 mile radius of the 'island' I call my personal home here in a touristic section of the USA. Antiguas authorities will solve this crime.

In your situation I don't think that a cab will enhance your security much. If you are a single woman, you need to exercise caution - as would apply anywhere... But I don't think your selection of transit on Antigua in the St. Johns to Jolly Beach or Valley Church area is going to be a factor.

Archived