Please help...info needed for inlaws

My inlaws are due to leave for Barbados on friday, My father in law wanted to know if he puts his ventura luggage tags on the suitcase before giving the luggage in at gatwick?

Also do they collect the luggage for you, when you trasfer to the ship, or do you go out to your reps with the luggage yourself...I'm really sorry only been on 1 cruise before and that was from southampton... any help and info would be great xx

Not done a fly cruise before with P&O, but since we are booked on one for next year this is what I have found out.

When you check your bags in at the airport you will need to put your Ventura tags on them. Once you have checked them in you will not see them again until they are delivered to your stateroom.

Once you land in Barbados (or wherever it is), you don't actually go into the airport terminal itself. Instead you go directly from the plane onto coaches laid on by P&O which takes you directly to the ship.

Your baggage 'should' arrive some hours after you :D

Hope this helps

Thanks so much, I'm going to theirs tonight to tell them all the info they need and this helps lots. They are older and have never been this far on holiday and mother in law needs lots of encouragement to actually go. (my father in law loves to go to different places, but mother in law gets worried) I have pre booked most of their trips etc so all they need to do is enjoy -wish i was going too. thanks again xx

As you get fast tracked to the ship when you arrive in Barbados you get there long before your luggage, which follows behind on a truck. It may not arrive in your cabin until 2-3hours after you. Anything you might need before then, pack in your hand luggage.

Brian

In my hand luggage I took mini-toiletries, make-up, hair tongs etc and a change of clothes so that I could have a shower in my cabin and freshen up for dinner without having to wait for my suitcase to turn up. Make sure they pack any medications they take in their hand luggage just in case their case goes astray. I also carry my jewellery and glasses with me, in fact anything crucial that I wouldn't be able to buy a replacement for while abroad.

Tell them to read their daily newspaper every evening as it will tell them what is going on and also the meeting times and places for their excursions the next day.

How exciting for them, I hope they can relax and enjoy it all!

Carol x

I said in my 1st reply, you pack it the last night & you won't see it 'til LGW, then it's like anything else, walk miles to wait for the carousel!! Coming home you actually clear the authorities on the ship as I recall, you then get bussed to the airport.

They don't actually need to worry about the arrangements for coming home as such as P&O organise everything for you. As long as they read the newspaper which is delivered to their cabin each evening and follow any instructions given, they won't have any problems. To disembark in Barbados, one person from each party has to present themself at an allotted time with everybody's passports and immigration forms filled in (these will be delivered to their cabin) in front of the officials on board the ship. Your parents-in-law would probably be happier going down together for this appointment. My parents missed their immigration appointment time as they hadn't read the information in the paper! They just went down late. I don't think anyone would get left behind on the ship!

As John says, their suitcase has to be outside the cabin by midnight on their last night onboard and they will see it next at Gatwick. They need to keep back anything they want for their hand luggage for their last day and return flight. Each flight will have a departure time to leave the ship on a coach to go to Barbados airport. Ours was 1.30p.m., again this will be in the newspaper. We spent the morning relaxing by the pool and had a leisurely lunch in the restaurant, all the ship's facilities are available to you. You can have a last shower or freshen up inside at the Spa area at the front of the ship by the Oasis pool, towels are supplied.

At Barbados airport you just have to present your hand luggage through security and wait for your flight. Ours was delayed because the air traffic controllers in Trinidad and Tobago were "playing their silly games" as the captain put it. This is not uncommon, apparently. It's an overnight flight and they may be glad of an inflatable cushion to sit on, I have bought one (from a camping accessories shop) since I got back as the seats on our Thomson plane were a bit lacking in padding!

They will have a meal and a snack served on the plane both ways, and a free bar service with alcoholic and soft drinks, tea and coffee. They might want some sterling if they want to buy some cheddars or similar.

Be aware that they cannot take anything liquid or water-based in their hand luggage that is more than 100ml in size, this includes drinks, make-up, inhalers, etc. These need to be presented at security in an 8"x8" zip-lock (sandwich?) bag. Have a look at the airport website under hand luggage restrictions for precise information if you are unsure about this. They can however buy anything in the shops after they have cleared the airport security, for example a drink to take on the plane or some duty free rum to bring home!

At Gatwick on their departure day, I would suggest they arrive at the airport three hours before their out-bound flight and do all the checks straight away, then they can relax! For us at Birmingham there are no announcements as to when your flight is ready to board, so it helps if you sit near a departures board and keep an eye on it for information about which departure gate you need to go to and when it is boarding. Don't know if Gatwick will be the same?

Not long to go now!

Carol x

• 2 weeks later...
Did they get away without any problems? You can relax now! I hope they have a wonderful time.

Carol x

I'm now relaxing and they are having a wonderful time, spoken to them about five times, weather is great and in laws are really enjoying themselves. They didn't have any problems and are back on Saturday morning, I cant wait to see the pictures.

Thanks so much for asking xxxxx

Archived