Galveston travel info please

rxmurphy

Enterprise allows one-way rentals from Houston to Galveston. We paid $17.33 for one-way rental of a compact car. This was a special internet rate, but you have to call the Houston or Galveston office directly to set up a one-way rental so they did honor the internet rate for me when asked. Much less expensive than transfers through Princess or limos. Plus, we had use of the car from our arrival about 5:30 pm the night before departure until time to board so we were able to easily get around to pick up last minute things, eat dinner, etc. It also made embarkation much easier. We dropped the car off at the Enterprise office in Galveston, and then they transported us with our luggage to the pier. Very quick and easy!

Getting back to the airport was also very easy after debarkation. Enterprise has an office in one of the terminals (I believe terminal 1) and some of their cars in a lot nearby. We just checked in with them at the office and picked up one of the cars. We weren't able to take luggage to pick up the car, so one of us did have to stay behind at that terminal with the luggage and get picked up by the other. Still, it was much easier and faster than those trying to arrange transportation with limo services or taxis at the port. We were sitting in Hobby airport awaiting our flight home by 10:30 a.m.

Kara

I called Enterprise about a one-way rental of a minivan (we want to pick up at IAH and drop off in Galveston). It was double the price to drop off at another location! (Rental was 49.99, but 99.99 to drop off in Galveston). I was NOT impressed.

You have to call the Galveston office directly to arrange this.

I have known many who have used enterprise and have been very happy.This is a new (within the year) service they are offering,as they were not open on Sundays until this past summer.The price is usually around 35-45.

I Called Enterprise to set up a rental and got a price qoute of $69 for a full size car (there are 4 of us). I thought this was a great deal.We have the car the night before the cruise and will have another one when we get back!

Going on the Grand on 2-19 and arranged for a one-way rental each way. Very easy to book...have a little inside tip for you. If they quote you high by calling the Galveston office directly, call the 1-800 number. I saved almost $30 by doing so. Don't ask me why they were different, but hey its worth a shot.

I agree with Jon, local office wanted the drop off charge. DH called corporate and got it waived. Do be aware that there is not a drop off location at the port as stated on some of their paperwork. The drop off is at 62nd street and they shuttle you back. We dropped off luggage then turned the car in and took the shuttle back. 3 out of the 4 bags that we dropped off were already in front of our cabin when we got there so it worked out great.

I would hire a limo service. For about $80 each way (from HOU) you can get a comfortable limo to ride in with cold beverages (soda and water). You can even arrange for them to be at the port at a specific time for when you disembark. It was really nice being driven to the port that way and back.

This is why I love CruiseCritic -- using the advice above I called Enterprise back on the 1-888 number listed in the Entertainment book. With a coupon I managed to get the minivan I wanted for $63. The local office was quoting $99.99 plus taxes and all other fees. Fabulous! We had a limo booked, but that was going to cost $150 (for 4 adults and 1 child). Thanks folks!

Hmmm. I thought someone said the "limo service" was simply a chartered van where other people pile in with you. Not true?

There are a million limo services available.Galveston limo,is actually a van-shuttle service,no limo.

Yes...Galveston Limo is what I was talking about. If that's a van then I'm not interested. They should call it Galveston VAN Services. I might hunt around for one of the million limo services that really uses a limo. If I find anything interesting/a good deal, I'll report back here.

There are lots of limo services in Houston. I wish I could remember the name of the one we used; however, it was my son that set up the limo and paid the bill. All I remember is that we had a very nice driver and a comfortable car to ride in. He even gave us a tour of Galveston before going to the ship because we were a bit early for embarkation. And he was there to meet us when we disembarked just like he said he would be. He even helped us with our luggage.

Archived