Singapore - How much gum can be in luggage?

NAJNLA

Has anybody had any experience with the restrictions on chewing gum in Singapore? More specifically, how many packages of chewing gum can be in a person's luggage during a two-day stopover in Singapore between the end of a cruise and a flight to Tokyo?

The ban on importing chewing gum into Singapore has been scrapped. There is no longer a restriction.Just watch that you dispose of the chewed gum properly.

Bufrenee - If you're positive of this, can you point me to the actual law that removed the restriction? The latest thing I can find is the following:

Chewing gum ban in Singapore -

The chewing gum ban in Singapore was enacted in 1992 and revised in 2004. It bans the import and sale of chewing gum in Singapore. Since 2004, only chewing gum of therapeutic value is allowed into Singapore following the United States-Singapore Free Trade Agreement (USS-FTA).

This law was created because people disposed of gum incorrectly by sticking them under places like chairs or tables. Chewing gum is banned in Singapore under the "Regulation of Imports and Exports (Chewing Gum) Regulations." Except for chewing gum of therapeutic value, the "importing" of chewing gum into Singapore is absolutely banned, as in bringing it in large amounts.

A common misconception among citizens is that personal use of chewing gum is allowed into Singapore. However, according to the set of Regulations, "importing" means to "bring or cause to be brought into Singapore by land, water or air from any place which is outside Singapore ..." any goods, even if they are not for purposes of trade. The set of Regulations also does not make any provisions for personal use of quantities to be brought into Singapore. Therefore, bringing chewing gum into Singapore, even small quantities for whatever purpose, is technically prohibited.

Don;t know when they repealed it, but my son lives and works there and brings back two cartons every year when he returns from Canada. I have been there twice and have brought a couple of cartons each time. I saw people local and expats chewing all the time that I was there. Technically you are not supposed to smoke in the streets but go down Orchard and you will see ashtrays in every garbage bin every twenty yards.

I guess you will have to weigh your chances.

They have not repealed the law. In 2004, under a trade treaty, they created special classes of gum for medicinal purposes (such as nicotine gum). However, these types of gum can only be purchased from a pharmacy and require registration (similar to the laws concerning purchasing cold medicines in the US that contain pseudoephedrine).

Attached is the current Singapore Customs Guide. The importation of chewing gum is classified as a Prohibited Good. You are required to stop at the Red Channel and declare it to Customs. If you fail to declare it and are caught during spot checking at the Green Channel you are subject to a S$ 10,000 fine.

I am sure many people ignore the rules and just walk on through the Green Channel thinking they can get away with it. I don't think this is just with gum in Singapore -- many people ignore the duty free limits on items purchased when returning home and go straight through the Nothing to Declare route. Most people think that the chance of getting stopped is quite low and so they make the decision that the risk is low enough to not declare their goods. While it is perfectly logical for someone to make this decision -- everyone should be aware that there is a risk involved. And according to Singapore law, chewing gum is a prohibited item.

customguideenglish1.pdf

Archived