Costa Rica Volcanos...which one?

wetnwildsm

My wife and I are on the Island Princess leaving March 10 for a Panama Canal cruise. During out Puntarenas, Costa Rica stop there are two tours available to volcanoes, one to Poas Volcano, and the other to Arenal Volcano. I've read elsewhere on this board that Arenal is many times hidden by clouds, while it appears as if the Poas trip lets you get right up to the crater....but I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts on one destination vs another? Thanks!

We flew to Costa Rica a couple of years ago and stayed up at Arenal for 4 days- only managed to see the volcano clearly ONE of those days and they said they hadn't seen it in several weeks before that- so VERY tempermental weather at times. Also, you cannot go up to the top- we were at the base about a mile away from it. Poaz they will take you up to the top.

Hope this helps!

Yes, Arenal is often hidden by clouds or fog, though it's a great volcano.

Costa Rica is not the only place you can visit a volcano. Since your stops include Nicaragua, you can also consider going to Masaya Volcano. The tour takes you right to the crater.

I've heard the bus ride there is long and scary. This is worrying the DW. We are looking at the Volcano & Hot Springs Tour but can anyone comment who has been on either of these tours recently?

We've been there many times outstanding hot springs well worth it.

I've heard the bus ride there is long and scary. This is worrying the DW. We are looking at the Volcano & Hot Springs Tour but can anyone comment who has been on either of these tours recently?

The trip is long and bumpy, but not scary.

The volcanoes are hit or miss. On a land trip to Costa Rica we got lucky with Poas and it cleared long enough to get a clear view of the crater. But, on our recent cruise, the folks who took the tour saw nothing as it was cloudy and rainy. On the same trip, we spent a week near Arenal and only saw the entire volcano on one day. It would be a long ride from Puntarenas and the roads are not great but pretty cool if you get to see it. If your cruise stops in Guatamala, you can see some pretty awesome volcanoes on the way to Antigua.

Archived