peanut allergies

della0813

Hi all,

Another family is considering joining us on our exciting cruise in april of 2011, but one of their children has severe peanut allergies.

Does anyone know the cruise line's policy on peanuts and peanut products?

Has anyone traveled on one of the ships with a person with a peanut allergy?

I would appreciate any responses or information that anyone has to share.

thanks,

della:)

All you need to do is to fill out the medical form found on DCL's web site,. fill it out and send it in,

Plus make sure he has his medical ID on, whether it's the bracelet, necklace or shoe lace one so it is a reminder to kids club counselors.

The Head manager of the dining room and the chef will work with you to provide safe, healthy food for the person with the allergy.

Plus its always a good idea to remind the kids clubs of the allergy although they dont usually have snacks but some times they have like a pizza party.

The chef will even make sure he has a special meal waiting for him on Castaway Cay when everyone is at the BBQ.

We didnt have peanut allergies but we did have some one with gluten allergies, milk allergies, diabetic and everyone was wonderful about making sure this person had a great selection of food over the course of the cruise.

But you MUST fill out the medcial form and send it in. The first night at dinner the waiter should even ask you who has the allergy and will make sure the proper people will take care of him.

Disney will do a great job. People with severe allergies cruise all the time. this is not new to them.

• 5 months later...

We did a 4 day cruise to the Bahamas in 2006 with my son who has a peanut allergy- he was 6 at the time. We made sure to put it on all the forms and filled out an extra medical form. I was still nervous about it but on our first night when we met our team of waiters, they already knew about it (they know your kids names and ages off by heart which is a nice touch) and assured us there would be extra care taken with his meals. He ate macaroni cheese nearly every night so it wasn't so hard! They went to doublecheck about the Mickey Bar (like a Dove IceCream bar) and it was fine. When we first checked him in at the Oceaneers Club it was flagged on the screen and before I even mentioned it they asked me for his Epipen. Everytime you check your child in and out of the club they check the computer screen ( I peaked once and the Epipen reminder was flashing which was a great relief to me) We were asked each time for it and they gave it back to us each time. Be sure to bring a few extra Epipens......just in case you lose it yourself.

The only time there was an issue was during the cookie making activity. As the choc chips were of the 'may contain nuts' variety they got a seperate table for my son to roll out his cookie dough, minus the choc chips and made sure his cookie was cooked seperately. I would have understood perfectly if they had just excluded him from this activity but they went to a lot of trouble and really reassured me. We are booked on another cruise next month and it is one thing I know I don't have to worry about unduly. Of course you cannot control what other cruisers bring on board, just like on a plane but you carry a pack of anti- bac wipes and get used to wiping down surfaces/tables just in case someone was eating a Snickers or Reeses Pieces and left any crumbs behind. There are handwipes everywhere and you are encouraged to use them so that helps too.

Hope that reassures you!

• 3 weeks later...

My son has a peanut allergy, and we notified Disney when we booked the cruise. While onboard, the kids area and the wait staff were already informed of the allergy and prepared. The kids area did not ask for our Epi-Pen so I assumed they had a stock of them. They told us to make sure to have the chef walk the buffet line with us to point out anything to stay away from. Unfortunately, that meant most of the breads. They even went into the back and cooked him a special gluten free waffle that they knew was peanut free. The wait staff checked and approved his meal selection each night with the chef, and they always had a safe dessert for him. They went above and beyond to take care of a newly diagnosed 3 yr old.

We are a little concerned because we will be leaving him in the kids area often during our European cruise in September. I have extra Epi-Pens and will be getting a global phone to ease my worrying.

Hi all,

Another family is considering joining us on our exciting cruise in april of 2011, but one of their children has severe peanut allergies.

Does anyone know the cruise line's policy on peanuts and peanut products?

Has anyone traveled on one of the ships with a person with a peanut allergy?

I would appreciate any responses or information that anyone has to share.

thanks,

della:)

Hi, I have never cruised with a peanut allergic child but have visited WDW many times with one and they have always gone beyond what I would expect, as long as you let them know before hand a chef is always on hand to walk the buffet with you to let you know what is safe and if the child is severly allergic they will prepare special food for them in a safe area. Fortunately my son grew out of his allergy so we will be doing the cruise in the med next summer without this headache, but I totally understand your worries. We are DVC members so I have booked through them but I am sure if your TA puts a note on your reservation that will be fine, then I would go to Guest Services as soon as you board the ship and bring it to their attention. There can be as many as 900 kids aboard the ship so there will be a lot of other kids in the same situation, in fact it is a much safer way to vacation than travelling through different countries with the language barrier etc. Good luck!

Archived