Motion in "ab" cabin

swanny727

[/b]We got an Upsell from AF to AB. I just now looked at the floorplan for AB. The bed is perpendicular to the balcony. I have always been in beds that were parallel to the balcony. WIll there be more motion to the bed - a different motion?? Usually I feel a rocking back and forth, side to side motion. Will this feel like the bed is moving from foot to head? I am concerned since I get motion sickness - even with taking the meds. (Hope this makes sense)

Does this make sense?

[/b]We got an Upsell from AF to AB. I just now looked at the floorplan for AB. The bed is perpendicular to the balcony. I have always been in beds that were parallel to the balcony. WIll there be more motion to the bed - a different motion?? Usually I feel a rocking back and forth, side to side motion. Will this feel like the bed is moving from foot to head? I am concerned since I get motion sickness - even with taking the meds. (Hope this makes sense)

Does this make sense?

I don't think it will be an issue at all but if you strike some "excitable" seas you could always sleep on the sofa bed in the lounge as it runs parallel to the balcony. If you're feeling unwell then the fresh air coming through the balcony door might help as well.

You'll love the AB so much though it might even cure your motion sickness :D.

I thought about that too on our last cruise, but it didn't seem to make a difference, because it rocked me to sleep just as well as when my bed was the other way.

Libby and Karen, Thanks for your reply! As I was writing that I thought it sounded weird. I'm glad someone else had the same concern. Yes, that sofa may come in handy. I take meclizine anyway so I may not notice.

We are going next week and I will report back if I find it to be bothersome.

No mention of the actual ship, but the AB's I have been in have the couch with the same layout as the bed. I do tend to get motion sickness, and have not had a problem with the bed going that way. Between long days, a very comfortable cabin and bed, and dramamine 2 that I take each evening, I sleep way too well.

Or you can move your pillow 90 degrees to the left :D

LOL Yeah and have my DH sleep on the sofa! I am talking about the Jewel. Sorrry, this is first NCL and I thought all cabin categories were the same on each ship.

Most of the categories are the same. But, not always. We've been in an AB 4 times (1st time an upsell from an AF, too). And, I haven't found the motion to be any different than other cabins we've been in. Be warned: once you sail in an AB, you'll NEVER go back to anything else!

Does this make sense?

Yes it makes sense and it IS an issue if you are prone to sea sickness, I always check the direction of the beds when booking a cabin. The only thing you can do if it is a problem is sleep across the bed, not ideal for sure but better than the alternative.

ha...After reading the thread title....my first thought was...."Depends who is sharing your cabin with you..."

We have an AB in May...now that this is mentioned...never thought abt the bed's position!

Enjoy your AB and your cruise!

We had an AB in October and had a day and half of pretty rough seas. The bed is soooooo comfortable and you can make it dark if ypu want, I was able to sleep beautifully. I take Bonine on the cxruise because i get motion sick. You can always sleep in the bathtub- it is fabulous !!!!:D

We had an AB on the Star just last month. We had one night when the seas were pretty rough but it didn't bother us at all. Seemed the motion was head to toe rather than side to side.

We did hear another passenger in a balcony room on the same deck was thrown out of bed with the motion of the ocean. :eek:

Another option is to move to the small children's bedroom. That couch/bed runs parallel to the balcony.

Another option is to move to the small children's bedroom. That couch/bed runs parallel to the balcony.

Not in our A3 on the Jade it didn't... the bunk on the wall was parallel to the balcony though. I saw an AB and it was the same as mine.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I have returned and wanted to report about the motion in the AB cabin. Yes, the rocking is head to toe, instead of side-to-side. (The inside cabins are used to this motion but we always had beds that were parallel to the balcony.) Most nights this didn't bother me. One night was very rough with gale-force winds. The rocking was very bad for me. Meclizine prevented vomiting but I had trouble sleeping that night.

Otherwise, the Suite beds are very comfy and cozy.

Archived