Recently off NCL Jade?

jalynn

If you have recently disembarked the Jade in Barcelona...what was the earliest time anyone could leave the ship? I'm really stressing about getting off and catching my 9:55 flight with all the new security requirements in place. I know some have left ship at 6AM. Is that the "rule" or the exception? I was feeling fairly confident until the new security checks for US bound flights.

thanks to anyone who can help calm my fears (or make them worse!!:eek:)--

Though some others have said they can make this flight, it sure seems to be cutting it tight, especially with the extra hassles for US bound flights. Sad part is most of what they are doing would not have prevented the underwear guy from getting onboard.

Anyway, you might also want to hit the roll calls for the past few cruises and get some feedback there since you really need CURRENT information, no six months ago.

Probably too late now, but on our last trip we stayed in Barcelona for a day so we did not have to deal with that hassle. And, the flight the next day wa not as full.

And, it might be a little different if you are flying within Europe first vs nonstop from Barelona to the states.

We flew home from the Jade in Barcelona in early January, right after the security went into place. Our flight was at 10:30 - we left the ship a tad after 8am, were at the airport by about 8:30ish, checked into our flight and were in the lounge by 9:00, went to the boarding area at about 9:45. The extra security we underwent was at actual boarding - and it took three hours to board our flight, with every person and bag hand searched. They even made me open up a few unopened packs of gum and mints to go through, went through my wallet (took everything out), laughed as I explained what my dog's ashes were and why I was carrying them (long story). CO staff was surprised and annoyed by the extra security - said they had never seen anything like it in the states or abroad - with the exception of Tel Aviv. I hear it has lightened up since then, with the last person I recall seeing that the searches took about one hour. This, of course, made our flight late, but the boarding began on time - perhaps they have started boarding a bit earlier now to allow for extra time for searches. Ideally, they would have a secure boarding area where you are searched as you enter to wait - but alas, they did not have anything like that near our gate.

I would guess you have nothing to worry about. To be safe, you could be at the airport about two hours before boarding, that will allow for long lines at check-in and any extra security. To be extra safe, you could plan for 2 1/2 hours. Taxi lines could take some time, but we had a car waiting for us - something you might want to prearrange if you are really concerned. If you had a car waiting, you could stroll off the ship at 7am, be at the airport by about 7:30 and have plenty of time for duty-free shopping and such.

Tips to ease the time on searches: Make sure any electronics you carry are charged and ready to be turned on. Pack minimally in you carry-ons and put more in your checked luggage (like clothes, bathroom stuff, etc). Clean out your purse and carry-on bags: Try to limit small items - piles of pens, papers, gum, candy, and general purse junk takes a lot of time to go through and put back. Empty your pockets as best you can. Spread em and let them pat you down (they match same sex guards with passengers).

Good luck and have fun!

Robin

We flew home from the Jade in Barcelona in early January, right after the security went into place. Our flight was at 10:30 - we left the ship a tad after 8am, were at the airport by about 8:30ish, checked into our flight and were in the lounge by 9:00, went to the boarding area at about 9:45. The extra security we underwent was at actual boarding - and it took three hours to board our flight, with every person and bag hand searched. They even made me open up a few unopened packs of gum and mints to go through, went through my wallet (took everything out), laughed as I explained what my dog's ashes were and why I was carrying them (long story). CO staff was surprised and annoyed by the extra security - said they had never seen anything like it in the states or abroad - with the exception of Tel Aviv. I hear it has lightened up since then, with the last person I recall seeing that the searches took about one hour. This, of course, made our flight late, but the boarding began on time - perhaps they have started boarding a bit earlier now to allow for extra time for searches. Ideally, they would have a secure boarding area where you are searched as you enter to wait - but alas, they did not have anything like that near our gate.

I would guess you have nothing to worry about. To be safe, you could be at the airport about two hours before boarding, that will allow for long lines at check-in and any extra security. To be extra safe, you could plan for 2 1/2 hours. Taxi lines could take some time, but we had a car waiting for us - something you might want to prearrange if you are really concerned. If you had a car waiting, you could stroll off the ship at 7am, be at the airport by about 7:30 and have plenty of time for duty-free shopping and such.

Tips to ease the time on searches: Make sure any electronics you carry are charged and ready to be turned on. Pack minimally in you carry-ons and put more in your checked luggage (like clothes, bathroom stuff, etc). Clean out your purse and carry-on bags: Try to limit small items - piles of pens, papers, gum, candy, and general purse junk takes a lot of time to go through and put back. Empty your pockets as best you can. Spread em and let them pat you down (they match same sex guards with passengers).

Good luck and have fun!

Robin

Thanks for the info. We have a 10:45 am flight and we were nervous about that. We did not have a choice to stay another day due to personal commitments.

We have disembarked twice at Barcelona, and will again in March. Can't speak about what will be waiting at the airport, with the extra security. However, most recently we disembarked in Barcelona on November 29th. We were able to get off at 6:00 AM with no problem. got to the airport in less than 30 minutes, no problem. The first security line, which everyone goes through was about ten minutes. But, the extra security for US flights at the gate, I can't speak on. We will find out ourselves in March.

Two years ago, it was the same story. You really should be able to get off at 6:00AM with no problem.

I was on the Jade in Nov and was up at 4 am to deal with some issues with my onboard account... saw people lined up and ready to go then. When we had breakfast an hour later at 5 am it seemed the flow was moving pretty well through the atrium.

We are cruising Mar 7th 2010, to eastern Mediterranean on the Norwegian Jade. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Our problems may be a little different than everyone, for one we are late risers. We would like feedback on the tour operators, or taxis and the length of time it takes to see the sights in each port.

We are cruising Mar 7th 2010, to eastern Mediterranean on the Norwegian Jade. Looking forward to meeting everyone. Our problems may be a little different than everyone, for one we are late risers. We would like feedback on the tour operators, or taxis and the length of time it takes to see the sights in each port.

Make sure you visit the ROLL CALL for your cruise for some input. When ou arrive in most ports, if you are going to tour, late risers might miss out.

Archived