Fog delay-late docking

Just returned from a 5 night on Grandeur of the Seas on Saturday. We docked two hours late due to fog. We were supposed to arrive at 7:00am and didn't arrive until 9:00am. By the time were we secured and able to depart it was 10:15am. This departure time was for people in wheelchairs and people carrying off their own luggage. Many people missed their flights because the times they were given to pick up their checked bags was 2 hours later than they had anticipated. One person we met had a 12:15pm flight, but their colored luggage tags indicated they could only pick up their luggage between 11:20 and 11:40am. I went off in the first group because I carried my own luggage off. When walking through the luggage area, I noticed that luggage from many of the color groups were already out. If that one person had only walked out with the first group, they may not have had to change their flight. Anyway....I guess my point is, be careful what time your flight out is. I had an early afternoon flight and made it without a problem. However, I know on this board people have asked about 10:30am flights the day the cruise returns. In our case it would have been impossible. BTW....our cruise departed and returned to Tampa, which, according to a local we dined with, almost never gets fog, although the fog wasn't only in Tampa. I went out on deck at 12:30am right before bed and the fog was already there. That's why the captain had to slow us down on the way back.

Archived