Traffic advice needed - driving in Miami on Superbowl Sunday

grosk063

Hi,

Looking for some advice from our CC friends in Miami.

We are driving down from Cape Canaveral to Miami airport on Superbowl Sunday, in the morning before our cruise. (Hoping to catch the early morning Endevour space shuttle launch on 2/7). With this normally being a 4 hour drive, we do need to avoid traffic to avoid being late.

I see googlemaps takes us down I-95 to the Airport Expressway in Miami. With this also being super bowl Sunday, should we be looking at alternative routes to the Miami airport?

FYI, the plan is to drop off the rental car there, and then take the Carnival shuttle to the port of Miami. Thinking this will be safest, rather than taking a cab.

Any advice helping us avoid traffic delays in Miami would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

Looking for some advice from our CC friends in Miami.

We are driving down from Cape Canaveral to Miami airport on Superbowl Sunday, in the morning before our cruise. (Hoping to catch the early morning Endevour space shuttle launch on 2/7). With this normally being a 4 hour drive, we do need to avoid traffic to avoid being late.

I see googlemaps takes us down I-95 to the Airport Expressway in Miami. With this also being super bowl Sunday, should we be looking at alternative routes to the Miami airport?

FYI, the plan is to drop off the rental car there, and then take the Carnival shuttle to the port of Miami. Thinking this will be safest, rather than taking a cab.

Any advice helping us avoid traffic delays in Miami would be greatly appreciated!

Take the turnpike, don't even bother with I-95.

The stadium is almost on the Miami-Dade-Broward County line so I-95 will be a mess heading south.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely take the turn pike to avoid the I-95 traffic. May also head west on 869 by Coral Springs, then head south (on I-75, which turns into Palmetto?) until Dolphin parkway to the airport. That will only add about 20 mins to our route, but will skip Miami alltogether. Does that sound like a good plan?

Just stay on the turnpike because it is limited access and the other roads can get confusing.

Trust me, you will not be adding any time to your trip and you will be saving your sanity.

Yes, cut over to Miami on the Dolfin Expressway. Hopefully Sunday the traffic will not be bad.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely take the turn pike to avoid the I-95 traffic. May also head west on 869 by Coral Springs, then head south (on I-75, which turns into Palmetto?) until Dolphin parkway to the airport. That will only add about 20 mins to our route, but will skip Miami alltogether. Does that sound like a good plan?

I've been to a substantial number of sold-out games at [now] Sun Life stadium and am not sure why the Super Bowl would result in much more of a crowd. First of all, I assume you will be driving at mid-morning and you will be perhaps eight hours in advance of the game. Shouldn't be any significant tie ups. The major jams generally come after the game when the stadium empties all at once (the police generally bar traffic heading north from Miami toward the stadium at that time). The Turnpike runs very close to the stadium and most from Miami that I know use it to get there. When I take I-95 to the port, I exit at 8th street and then just follow 5th street east straight into the port.

Archived