Dawn or Le Galion info

CMJFamily

After what seems like hours going through all of the threads, I think we have decided on Dawn or Le Galion beaches. Does anyone know taxi prices for either of these beaches? Also, how far a drive are they? I would also appreciate any feedback on which one is better for snorkeling, amenities etc.

Thanks!

After what seems like hours going through all of the threads, I think we have decided on Dawn or Le Galion beaches. Does anyone know taxi prices for either of these beaches? Also, how far a drive are they? I would also appreciate any feedback on which one is better for snorkeling, amenities etc.

Thanks!

When are you going on your cruise? I am planning on visiting Dawn beach in March and I will post about it when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey HFCs ,

Haven't not been to Dawn Beach I can't help you there . I can't say enough about the relaxed untouristy feel of Le Gallion . We spent an awesome day there not wanting to do Orient AGAIN ! Not that we mind it just wanted to get away from the crowds . We felt we truly found a jewell of a place. There are facilities there that you can also use to change in . The water in Nov when we were there was very clear and not as salty as a lot of places we've been . There is a snack bar there with the basic beach food and a full service bar . When we first walked up a 20 somethin' kid told us grab the chairs we wanted there were plenty and he'd set up a tab . Very quaint like the nest at Valley Church in Antiqua , he found out our names and used them all day . Order your food and they bring it to your chair . There is a raft to swim out to . The water varies in depth but the shallows for the kids are perfect . 6 of us 6 chairs 4 umbrellas drinking pop , eating hotdogs and fries and ice cream all day , we don't drink was about $120 US for the day . About 2 to 3 hundred yards back up the street is the horse stables and the butterfly farm , my wife and I did both and found them excellent places to visit . Cab ride was about 25 - 30 min each way about $ 40 US for six , more people you group with the less it gets to be in St. Martaan cabs or van taxis . We told our driver to be back at 3:30 pm for a 5 pm embarkment , he was prompt and we were on the ship by 415 pm .

We did meet a couple from Baltimore who were staying at Dawn Beach they said it was rough surf the week they were there . So they came to Le Galion . It's a sheltered cove and I had ok snorkeling out at the jetty . If you are looking for waves Dawn sound like the place , we've also experienced good surf at Orient but there are no waves at Le Galion , didn't matter to us we had a blast . Lots of locals few , less than 20 , cruise guests when we were there . Very chill ! Whatever you decide I don't think you can go wrong with all the beautiful beaches in St. Martaan . Hope this helps ! Ted

Just back from Summit. We did St. Maarten on Sunday and went to Le Galion. The locals love it, and although it may be lovely during the week (confirmed by others staying on the island), on the weekend it can be loud (car stereos blasting) and crowded with kids and teenagers. I wouldn't go back there on a weekend. Taxi rate is the same as Orient, $6 US pp if you have 6 or more in the cab. Plenty of chairs and umbrellas at $5 ea.

Archived